Any transient parking at KMIA?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
Looks like Signature is the only FBO at KMIA and based on their $11/gallon avgas rate, I'm going to bet they probably charge $40/day just for tie-down, plus probably $100 in handling and security fees just for a Cessna 150. Anyone know of any cheaper overnight parking at Miami Int for a piston single that doesn't even require tie-downs?

You have FXE, TMB, HWO and OPF and X51 to choose from in the Miami area. Why are you choosing MIA?

Looks like Signature is the only FBO at KMIA and based on their $11/gallon avgas rate, I'm going to bet they probably charge $40/day just for tie-down, plus probably $100 in handling and security fees just for a Cessna 150. Anyone know of any cheaper overnight parking at Miami Int for a piston single that doesn't even require tie-downs?

According to airnav review, it’s $250 plus $11/gal fuel. That kinda of money can get you a several Uber rides.

According to airnav review, it’s $250 plus $11/gal fuel. That kinda of money can get you a several Uber rides.
Not quite that much. I just called. It’s $67 the first night and $37 each subsequent night, as long as you fuel top off (to waive the $40 handling fee, otherwise one time $40 more).

Bigger issue than fees, when are you planning on flying in? 3am? If it’s during a push, you may spend more time flying in circles in the 150 waiting for ATC to find a gap in arrivals than you would catching a ride from a neighboring GA airport.

Bigger issue than fees, when are you planning on flying in? 3am? If it’s during a push, you may spend more time flying in circles in the 150 waiting for ATC to find a gap in arrivals than you would catching a ride from a neighboring GA airport.

And how would you know what times are slack hours and what times are busy?

Expect to pay more than they tell you over the phone. There was a $50 fee they didn't feel was worth mentioning until I was ready to leave.

And yeah, as mentioned above, I was circling out in the Atlantic for a bit before they let me in, although I was under an IFR plan due to low cloud levels, might not be as bad if you're VFR. Would not do again.

I would not fly in to a busy Bravo with a lot of heavy traffic in my 182 if there were options in a reasonable distance from my destination. To me that is just asking for problems unless, as implied above, you are going in at slack tide. Even then, I would exercise other options.

Last edited:
I’ve flown into MIA a couple times, it’s pretty easy to fly in and out with no delays (unlike Teterboro), I had to fly directly over the field of KFLL to avoid commercial traffic and then direct to MIA and land 8L both times. Signature is right there off the runway.

I was there this year maybe 4-5 nights, 10gal of fuel and parking was about $250 total. I’m fine with that. I was overcharged once so check your receipt, when I called they told me cheaper rates on the phone, so make a note of date time and who you spoke with. I ended up getting free parking the first time I went because that’s what they told me if I bought fuel but maybe it was a new staff, the $250 price was paying for parking, I think the first time I paid like $120 or something. The neighboring airports are not that much cheaper. I did call around and some were like $35-40/night parking. I guess if I found free parking or $10/night then I might opt for that one instead but I didn’t. And I didn’t want an hour+ Uber because sometimes you cannot find Uber when it’s too long / remote and I’m traveling with my dogs too.

If you want an expensive airport then fly to Sitka or Ketchikan in Alaska. $12/gal and even a $50 parking fee while you take up fuel. Easy $500-600 bill for a piston single.

I’d skip there entirely, and anywhere that only has Signature. AVL is a good example of this.

I'm flying into KOPF on Saturday. Staying a night and leaving the next day. The last time I went, it was a couple of unwaivable fees that weren't mentioned over the phone.

All it takes is a little calculus to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I’ve flown into MIA a couple times, it’s pretty easy to fly in and out with no delays (unlike Teterboro), I had to fly directly over the field of KFLL to avoid commercial traffic and then direct to MIA and land 8L both times. Signature is right there off the runway.

I was there this year maybe 4-5 nights, 10gal of fuel and parking was about $250 total. I’m fine with that. I was overcharged once so check your receipt, when I called they told me cheaper rates on the phone, so make a note of date time and who you spoke with. I ended up getting free parking the first time I went because that’s what they told me if I bought fuel but maybe it was a new staff, the $250 price was paying for parking, I think the first time I paid like $120 or something. The neighboring airports are not that much cheaper. I did call around and some were like $35-40/night parking. I guess if I found free parking or $10/night then I might opt for that one instead but I didn’t. And I didn’t want an hour+ Uber because sometimes you cannot find Uber when it’s too long / remote and I’m traveling with my dogs too.

If you want an expensive airport then fly to Sitka or Ketchikan in Alaska. $12/gal and even a $50 parking fee while you take up fuel. Easy $500-600 bill for a piston single.
That’s how they sent me in when I landed at FLL. Right over the center and a tight pattern to 28L. Very easy though, and not very expensive

First time coming in to OPF, ATC had me descend to 2,000' halfway across the swamp, then a SID the next day straight out over the water into some convective activity, freq so busy I couldn't get a word in to ask for deviations until the last second.
This time I'll try departing VFR and picking up the IFR en route weather permitting.

Tip: make sure no major events in town, formula 1, etc.

Went to Embassair last Saturday, at KOPF. Chose not to stay the night because of weather coming in Sunday, but they told me it would have added $120 to stay the night. Really nice facility, but it should be because it is new to the field. Easy to navigate to and from. If you are in and out in the same day and top off the tanks to waive some the fees, then this place should make your list of consideration.

I would not fly in to a busy Bravo with a lot of heavy traffic in my 182 if there were options in a reasonable distance from my destination. To me that is just asking for problems unless, as implied above, you are going in at slack tide. Even then, I would exercise other options.
I can’t speak to MIA vs OPF or TMB, but I have no problem choosing a Bravo or Charlie primary when the net benefit in terms of time, cost, and convenience exceeds the downside.

Back