Any Career CFI's?

Probably their students either have their own plane or they have a similar arrangement to how I did my private - the FBO on the field actually owned and rented a plane out, so I rented the plane from them and contracted with my CFI independently.

That makes more sense.

I owned my own for most of my training.

Excuse my ignorance, but, these numbers can't include aircraft rental right? Or do they? If they don't include aircraft I'm just curious - where do your students rent the plane from?

That's for the hour of instruction, no plane.

You also have to decide whether you charge by the Hobbs hour or by the clock including time for pre and post flight.

There’s a lot of 135 “teaching” jobs. That’s essentially what I have become even if accidentally. I work 15/15 and am home in my own bed every night. I pretty much just do new-hire training, checkrides, IOE, special airport checkouts, and maybe a few hours of line flying a month.

There’s a lot of 135 “teaching” jobs. That’s essentially what I have become even if accidentally. I work 15/15 and am home in my own bed every night. I pretty much just do new-hire training, checkrides, IOE, special airport checkouts, and maybe a few hours of line flying a month.
A lot? I've had a hell of a time finding them, and I've been asking since 2014. Maybe I've been asking the wrong people (airline-centering folks). PM sent.

A lot? I've had a hell of a time finding them, and I've been asking since 2014. Maybe I've been asking the wrong people (airline-centering folks). PM sent.

Most 135’s want pilots with experience in Part 135 to teach. The check airman positions and instructor positions also require line experience.

I've met quite a few career CFIs here in the Bay Area (mostly PAO and SQL). Most seem to charge in the $120-160 range and those who are highly sought after are in the $180-200 range (Max Trescott, Jason Miller, etc). We have a fairly vibrant GA ecosystem here and a relative surplus of people with disposable income and technical inclination that get into flying.

Back