Another "how do I log this" question

You are wrong.

So I'll be nice here instead: If you depart an airport, fly 5nm to another, then 10nm to another, then 53nm to the third, then 8nm to the 4th, and 6nm back home, the entire 5 leg flight is cross country. No where does 14CFR require that each leg be independently validated against the cross country requirements, only that a leg of your flight must qualify.
Not even that. There is no requirement in the reg that any leg be more than 50 NM, only that there be (once again, to quote rather than make up what it says)

a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure

Not one single word about leg lenght.

A flight that is KAAA -10 NM → KABC -30 NM → KADE -20 NM → KAFG qualifies as a usable cross country so long as KAFG is more than 50 MN from KAAA.

Not even that. There is no requirement in the reg that any leg be more than 50 NM, only that there be (once again, to quote rather than make up what it says)

a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure

Not one single word about leg lenght.

A flight that is KAAA -10 NM → KABC -30 NM → KADE -20 NM → KAFG qualifies as a usable cross country so long as KAFG is more than 50 MN from KAAA.

You're right. I was using the leg for illustrative purposes since its rare that you'll find such a situation, but, in fact, there is absolutely no requirement for a single leg to be more than 50nm in distance.

OK I guess every CFI I've talked to is wrong as well! I guess it just seems stupid to log XC time just because it is far away from your home airport. Do the touch and goes miraculously make it one continuous flight? Apparently I don't do round robin flights all around with one 51nm leg thrown in there enough! :lol:

Believe it or not, CFIs are not infallable. Bottom line is that Nick is right. Any flight from point A to Point B is a cross country regardless of distance. Now in order for cross country's to count for certain certificates they must be of a certain length. The appropriate Part 61 section rules.

You are wrong.

So I'll be nice here instead: If you depart an airport, fly 5nm to another, then 10nm to another, then 53nm to the third, then 8nm to the 4th, and 6nm back home, the entire 5 leg flight is cross country. No where does 14CFR require that each leg be independently validated against the cross country requirements, only that a leg of your flight must qualify.

{Snip}

That response solidifies what I said earlier. CFIs are not gods, and get an awful lot wrong. They are humans, and as such, are likely regurgitating something they heard from their CFI. Those CFIs then touch hundreds of students, passing along bad information to each, some of which become CFIs who touch hundreds of students....so on.

That is why it is so important to read the regs before interpreting them, rather than relying on something you were told.

The reg in question - 61.1(b)(3)(ii): (emphasis below mine)

(ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under § 61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—
(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;
(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

Yes, if you fly 51nm to another airport, and do 30 T&Gs, then return home, the entire flight, including the T&Gs are cross country.

Does your example flight necessarily fit the requirements?

MTA: Mark beat me

Yes, if you fly 51nm to another airport, and do 30 T&Gs, then return home, the entire flight, including the T&Gs are cross country.
Actually, I would disagree with that. There's a point at which "Hmmm, if I do it this way I keep it within the rules" becomes a sham that gets rejected. Or worse.

Remember the case of the two CFIs who gave each other dual on every flight just so they could both log PIC on every flight? It's been referred to in discussions a number of times. They ended up doing a lot of extra time building when they had to reapply for all of their certificates and ratings over again.

Back