Another B-52 Engine "Out"

Something similar happened with a C130 near Lumberton, NC about 15 years ago. Fortunately no injuries on the ground. The plane landed safely.

Lost:

Long ago I saw a photo of an engine dropping off a DC-3 in flight as it was flying "the hump" to Burma during WW2. The photo was taken from the following DC-3. I haven't been able to find that photo again. Anyone have it? -Skip

Something similar happened with a C130 near Lumberton, NC about 15 years ago. Fortunately no injuries on the ground. The plane landed safely.

Did it land at KFAY? Used to fly into FAY and there was a C130 sitting just parked off the side of the airline ramp. Seems it sat there for months.

Preflight tip: If your engines each produce more than 10,000 lbs of thrust, check if they are bolted to the airplane.

The good news is that the crew was able to make a successful 7-engine approach and landing.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/engine-drops-out-of-b-52-during-training-at-minot-air-force-base
I hope they werent gear down, still trying to get to Vy7eng speed....

Did they immediately release their bomb load so as to maintain altitude. losing 12.5% of thrust is a big deal...:D

I hope they werent gear down, still trying to get to Vy7eng speed....

Did they immediately release their bomb load so as to maintain altitude. losing 12.5% of thrust is a big deal...:D
The article says that no weapons were on board, which I assume means they did drop the bombs before returning to base.

The article says that no weapons were on board, which I assume means they did drop the bombs before returning to base.

Doubt they had weapons on board. Probably was a training flight.

I had a house in Tacoma, WA that was on the market for a long long time. I hoped that a plane going into McChord AFB would drop an engine on it. It did finally sell. :)

I could here the call now:
Mayday mayday mayday, we lost an engine, returning to base, request immediate vectors etc etc

Tower- you lost AN engine? So what, the other seven aren't good enough? Are you going to need grief counseling when you land? Will you be needing some hot cocoa on the ramp?

I could here the call now:
Mayday mayday mayday, we lost an engine, returning to base, request immediate vectors etc etc

Tower- you lost AN engine? So what, the other seven aren't good enough? Are you going to need grief counseling when you land? Will you be needing some hot cocoa on the ramp?
It's our critical engine! So yeah, hot cocoa with marshmallows.

It's our critical engine! So yeah, hot cocoa with marshmallows.were going to dump our lav on this woman's house on the way back to lighten the load.
You forgot the rest of the conversation , this solves the mystery!

8 posts and nobody has yet pointed out that a B-52 has eight times the probability of an engine falling off compared to a piston single? :rolleyes:

Well, except a pistons MTBF is way lower than a turbine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should have pulled the red handle..

I think the red handle is a little more dangerous for those below in a B52 :-o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a bit of insider's look for the benefit of the gallery:

There are no such things as odd-engine out approaches in the Buff. All approach and landing data is calculated on pod losses, not individual engines. So when you lose an engine in the Buff, you behave as though you lost that pod.

In training this is a non-difference, as there is no structural damage to the pylon. On this particular example however, there is very much a structural eccentricity introduced with the loss of one engine, plus a by-default damage to the cowling of the adjoining engine, so that engine gets idled or shut down for FOD. Precautionary engine shutdowns for oil pressure are about the only exception to the even-engine reality of multi-engine work in the Buff.

Of course, pilot judgement rules the decision making process of whether to make use of the remaining engine in that pod, and that is largely a function of gross weight and what the location of the engine losses are relative to each other. A light weight Buff can be taken-around with only **4 engines , allowing you in theory to shoot the approach with the mirror engine idled, hence no thrust asymmetry of consequence. **(4 engine out on one side is a statistically unrecoverable situation if taken to a go-around, so the decision is often made early as to whether to attempt to recover or just abandon the aircraft before directional control is lost in flight).

That's one hell of a "oh you failed one engine? Watch this brotato chips" thing for an FAA DPE on a multi checkride, if one was allowed lol. :D

That said, these things will continue to increase in frequency as the AF struggles to retain 10-15 year experienced operators and maintainers, and human life will be lost as a result of this greening of experience. Refer to last year's PGUA overrun. But social gender issues and political correctness appear to be a higher priority for the society that pays for our training and equipment, so they get the military they deserve. Pilots at least, are hemorrhaging through the doors regardless of bonuses. They joined to fly and fight, not fill out ancillary duty forms and be socially chastised regarding their personal behavior at home because of the grievances of social minorities and selfie-taking women's incorporation into a male-deployed-dominated workplace. And I digress before this gets political.

Bottom line, I'm proud of the job I did, but I'm even happier I'm out of that leper colony of a community.They will NEVER re-engine the Buff. It is paid for and left there to sunset in its golden years as the last bastion of the cold war's triad. A source of bitterness and frustration for the crews that fly it, as they are largely kept out of current conventional conflicts, sans the most benign of turkey shoots aka Syria. Even Libya was deemed too hot for the Buff in modernity. A mission set comprised of perennial posturing practice bleeding doesn't make a good community to grow talent you can retain.

Now back to your regular variation of the 7-engine joke post regurgitation.

But social gender issues and political correctness appear to be a higher priority for the society that pays for our training and equipment, so they get the military they deserve. Pilots at least, are hemorrhaging through the doors regardless of bonuses. They joined to fly and fight, not fill out ancillary duty forms and be socially chastised regarding their personal behavior at home because of the grievances of social minorities and selfie-taking women's incorporation into a male-deployed-dominated workplace. And I digress before this gets political.

A very well said observation.

Latest B-52 re-engine thinking is to replace the TF33's one for one with CF34's or other small Barbie jet turbofans. Boeing's been marketing this for a bit recently.

Cheers

Bonuses aren't keeping them - the bureaucracy, politically high-risk jobs (someone's head has to roll if young Johnny gets a DUI or does himself harm), looong deployments, outdated management practices, the whole tired, told-many-times story. . .I have a family member hanging it up ASAP, with promotion pending. Not a unique situation is in his squadron, passing up $$$ to stay in, etc.

8 posts and nobody has yet pointed out that a B-52 has eight times the probability of an engine falling off compared to a piston single? :rolleyes:

LOL! For falling off, isn't it 4x? They look to be attached in pairs. I don't care what the article says, they're almost never accurate (one engine, an engine).

LOL! For falling off, isn't it 4x? They look to be attached in pairs. I don't care what the article says, they're almost never accurate (one engine, an engine).
Well you are on the right track. There is the probability of a single engine falling off and then there is the probability of a pair of engines falling off.

In SEA "the dreaded seven engine approach" was a pretty common occurrence. I was deadheading in a Buff to Guam to pick up a stranded F-4E. By the time we reached Guam we were down to 4 engines, and none of the crew seemed concerned. I, on the other hand, was freaking out.
I was on a Turk Hava Yollari flight into Diyarbakir, Turkey back in April of 1970. It was a 4 engined turboprop. For the life of me I can't remember the type.
The inboard starboard engine fell off the plane about 50 miles out from Diyarbakir. The pilot didn't even make an announcement. And no one else seemed to care. It was just another day on Turk Hava Yollari.
Probably didn't want to disturb the goats and chickens that were wandering around in the plane.
One of my more memorable Air Force deployments.

You think that Buff crew shut down 4 just to screw with a fighter jock maybe? ;) :D

From a buddy of mine yesterday.

d41c094d9d2b78eb706a68e4198eb5ad.jpg

From "Air Force Magazine" update:

B-52 Engine Falls Off During Flight Near Minot
— Brian Everstine
An engine fell off the wing of a B-52 Stratofortress during a training flight Wednesday at Minot AFB, N.D., and the pilot was able to land the bomber without any incident. The Pratt & Whitney TF-33-P-3/103 turbofan engine, one of eight on the aircraft, fell off and crash landed in an unpopulated area 25 nautical miles northeast of the base, according to an Air Force statement. There were five airmen on board, with no injuries reported. The base sent a UH-1N Huey from the 54th Helicopter Squadron to recover the remains of the engine. The incident happened as Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James is visiting the base in part to highlight the need for modernization and improvements to the Air Force's nuclear community. The base has launched an investigation into the incident.

Engine-off versus engine-out scenario. Doesn't happen every day!

I like this quote from an article about the incident (bold-face type added):

"It appears this was a one-off situation, but again I want to emphasize it just happened and it will be fully investigated," James said. :D

In SEA "the dreaded seven engine approach" was a pretty common occurrence. I was deadheading in a Buff to Guam to pick up a stranded F-4E. By the time we reached Guam we were down to 4 engines, and none of the crew seemed concerned. I, on the other hand, was freaking out.
I was on a Turk Hava Yollari flight into Diyarbakir, Turkey back in April of 1970. It was a 4 engined turboprop. For the life of me I can't remember the type.
The inboard starboard engine fell off the plane about 50 miles out from Diyarbakir. The pilot didn't even make an announcement. And no one else seemed to care. It was just another day on Turk Hava Yollari.
Probably didn't want to disturb the goats and chickens that were wandering around in the plane.
Good god! Your stories are always a treat. How is the book coming along?

You didn't get paid enough, I'm sure, to be subjected to that...

Back