Another “Can I Log It” thread

Pilot-To-Be

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
Hello,

I recently earned my CMEL certificate and I’m trying to network myself into getting some jobs. I have a buddy who flies C525’s and King Air 200’s.

If I sit right seat in the King Air can I log sole manipulator or the whole thing if they require two pilots?

Also, if I’m getting training for a 525 SIC type, can I log the time that I got training?

It depends on some specifics. This letter could be useful for you.

Having your commercial (or ATP) lets you log time a private cannot.

Attachments

• Counsil_2012_Legal_Interpretation.pdf
    403.4 KB · Views: 14
It depends on some specifics. This letter could be useful for you.

Having your commercial (or ATP) lets you log time a private cannot.
Thanks, I’ll take a look.

The owners insurance requires two pilots in the C525 (CJ1), which is why I wonder if I can log SIC time, even though I don’t possess an SIC type yet.

The FAA doesn't care about insurance requirements. It'll be about the aircraft certification itself.

The FAA doesn't care about insurance requirements. It'll be about the aircraft certification itself.
I know but if their insurance requires two pilots, even though it’s a single pilot aircraft, doesn’t that make it an operation where an SIC is required therefore it can be logged?

I know but if their insurance requires two pilots, even though it’s a single pilot aircraft, doesn’t that make it an operation where an SIC is required therefore it can be logged?
Read through 61.51f. It does not say what you think it says.

It doesn't say "if two pilots are required". It says "if two pilots are required by the type certificate or the regulations under which the flight is conducted." The insurance's requirements are not regulations.

If I sit right seat in the King Air can I log sole manipulator or the whole thing if they require two pilots?
You can log PIC time if you're the sole manipulator of the controls and you're rated for the aircraft.

If I sit right seat in the King Air can I log sole manipulator or the whole thing if they require two pilots? KA200 sole manipulator PIC, Yes. No on a 300 or 350.

Also, if I’m getting training for a 525 SIC type, can I log the time that I got training? In your case I do not see a way unless the PIC is required, by the FAA, to have an SIC.

How are the flights operated, part 91, 135?

No

Back