AN Fittings Question

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
In my simple minded approach to things, I expected AN -4 fittings to fit other AN -4 fittings. I ordered two fittings, an AN825-4D tee and an AN914-4D elbow. The tee is exactly what I expected. It is a tee with flared connections on each end and a male pipe thread connection on the side and is the correct size to match up with the -4 hose connectors that go on either end of it. The pipe thread is 1/8". The elbow, on the other hand, is relatively huge. The pipe thread is 1/2". I needed the the two pieces to fit together which they obviously don't. I called Aircraft Spruce and the elbow that they have in stock that is the size I need is a -1. The dash 4 elbow I received is still in the package and is clearly labeled -4. Am I wrong in expecting -4 fittings to be the same size or is their stocking messed up. They are "graciously" sending me the correct elbow without charge or shipping but the large elbow that I paid for was almost $14. If I want to return the large one, then I get a refund but get to pay shipping both ways and pay for the small elbow. I would end up about $5 to the good but it isn't worth the trouble. Did I blow it or did they?

I though all AN fittings went by the size -#

But reducers still confuse me.

http://www.bonaero.com/Plumbing.htm

You'll have to scroll down a ways to find the tee, but the dimensions are given for the fittings you're interested in. The confusion may be due to the tee being a flare to npt adaptor rather than a simple single style thread fitting.

It appears that I got what I ordered. Other sites also have the same -4 elbow with 1/2" pipe threads. Guess I'm still not too old to learn something.

The size relationship between flared threads and NPT makes no sense. They claim there's a reason as to why they are sized like that but I can't make sense of it.

assco has been very helpful to me
6suo10.jpg

Back