Am I crazy for considering a V-Tail Bo?

What do the extended range tanks get you on the Mooney? What's your real-world range, and are those available as STC for all models?

My E only has 52 gallon tanks, no wind poh max range 950ish Statute miles. Long range tanks add >30 gallons so say another 3 hours. Realistic miles, probably 650 - 700 ish. I've pushed about 600 maybe twice.

Now that i'm IR, I plan using IR fuel reserves even when flying VFR, so 3 hour legs, 450 - 500ish nm. Longrange tanks would add another 3 hours so i'd be able to do 6 hour legs. Meaning, i could make my common houston - indianapolis, 775nm, flight nonstop with IR reserves. so say 5.5 hours,

same trip today takes approx 7 hours due to having to stop for fuel, talk, file, putz around etc...

ultimate plan is to pop over the pond, so i need the extra fuel for safety

I agree with all the posts adivising the Instrument Rating first. V Tailed Bo, Mooney K (I have a Standing O), Debonair etc all great planes.

I got an insurance quote this morning ont he TR182:

Hull Value $150k
$1MM liability/ $100k limit per passenger
$10k Med Pay per passenger

$4,400

This is with my current ratings and total hours (none of which is in type and also 0 retractable). The IFR rating would only lower the premium by 5%.

Go for it. I’ve owned a V tail the last 15 years. Great plane. Fun to fly. Great performance.

Back