Allopurinol for High Uric Acid - impact on 3rd Class?

• Thread starter Wondering in Wichita
  • Start date
W

Wondering in Wichita

As the title says - I'm taking Allopurinol to control my uric acid level. I'm currently going with Basic Med, but would like to consider a 3rd class instead. Any risk that I'm opening a can of worms by seeing an AME? Will I need to go through extra testing?

Per this page on the FAA AME guide site, as long as your gout is considered well controlled, the AME can issue your certificate.

If not, it’s a deferral.

Likely you need to bring something from your treating physician to prove well controlled. Make a phone call to the AME or schedule a consultation appointment (no live exam!) to find out what.

upload_2021-7-6_17-6-6.png

As the title says - I'm taking Allopurinol to control my uric acid level. I'm currently going with Basic Med, but would like to consider a 3rd class instead. Any risk that I'm opening a can of worms by seeing an AME? Will I need to go through extra testing?

Wait. Have you held an FAA medical that qualifies you for BasicMed. Normally I would assume so, but the way your post is written makes me wonder.

Yes, I've had many 3rd class medicals in the past. I went to Basic Med before I had any issues with high uric acid. I've never actually had a diagnosed gout episode, doctor just saw the high uric acid level and was proactive in proscribing Allopurinol.

Yes, I've had many 3rd class medicals in the past. I went to Basic Med before I had any issues with high uric acid. I've never actually had a diagnosed gout episode, doctor just saw the high uric acid level and was proactive in proscribing Allopurinol.
CONSULT with your AME. Likely the appropriate doctor letter is needed to explain the Allopurinol and to difinitively say no presence of gout.

Without the letter, you may run the risk of being tagged as having gout by the FAA reviewers and get hip checked into the deferral penalty box

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back