Alaska - Bering Strait - Little Diomede

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Considering a trip up to Alaska this summer. I know there is no place to land at Little Diomede, but how complicated would it be to conduct an overflight? Obviously, I would want to stay on a north-south line, and carefully make sure to avoid Russian airspace.

It seems that the ADIZ is a bit closer to the coast, so technically, by doing an overflight, would I need to perform some ADIZ procedures? I would not be leaving US airspace.

Going in a Piper M600, so for this trip, anyhow, nothing other than paved runways will be used. Probably going to check out Barrow (or whatever it's called now) just for the hell of it, fly over Denali, etc.

Have you seen these threads?

I wanted to take a short cut in Florida and I asked ATC about crossing the ADIZ and they said I had to be on a special flight plan talking to Miami or something. I just went around the ADIZ. Not sure how it works fully.

Alaska is amazing, check out the FAA weather cameras. Bring your bug spray, with DEET.

It's called or used to be a DVFR flight plan. We used to do it all the time, but that was 30 years ago. It may have changed so research it.

but that was 30 years ago. It may have changed so research it.
It was the same 20 years ago.

I know there is no place to land at Little Diomede, but how complicated would it be to conduct an overflight?

Not complicated at all.

Back in my time there a DVFR depended on A/C speed, the M600 will probably qualify for a DVFR flight plan. I don't remember the speed, but the DVFR is no different than a vfr flight plan. IIRC all it took was to check the little box stating DVFR and you will get a special squawk code. I always requested 1313 and got it most of the time.

If you just want to make a couple landings in my old stomping grounds, Point Hope is a paved runway. Not much to see there. I spent a few years in Kotzebue, and time in Nome. I took off from Wales to make my tour of the Diomede Islands, then returned to Kotzebue.

The best time to do a Diomede Island tour is in the morning. Usually the Russians manning the anti-aircraft guns will still be sleeping off their vodka when you fly between the Diomede Islands...(ok, kidding)

I THINK the speed was below 140 knots. We crossed the ADIZ many times to land on the ice 200 NM north of Barrow in the Twin Otter. But that was 1991.

If I were doing that today, I’d call Bering Air for fuel and advice out of Nome.

So I need to be below 140 to qualify to use a DVFR flightplan? Seems like an odd requirement, but OK. I see I can file one of these through ForeFlight. They just come back with a sqwak? I suppose I should also be talking to center… just in case…. Or is it required?

Any wildlife around the area at Point Hope? If we could land and catch a glimpse of a walrus or something, my daughter would probably like it.

I think it was below 140 and you don’t have to talk to anyone. But that was so long ago. Don’t take my word for it.

Any wildlife around the area at Point Hope? If we could land and catch a glimpse of a walrus or something, my daughter would probably like it.
Good chance you will see Beluga whales, maybe a bear or two and also caribou. Walrus are in the area but usually in the water. I heard whales blowing while I was at the airport in Point Hope. It is a native village and most animals know to stay away from the villages due to the shooting that goes on.

Seeing wild life can be hit or miss. In all the years I was in Alaska I saw plenty of Musk Ox but never saw a Polar bear.

Back