Airventure vs. Sun-n-Fun

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Since I'm back in the south now, I'm thinking of making my first trip to Sun-n-Fun this year.

For those that have recently been to both AV and SnF, what are the major differences between the two? I've been to AV 4-5 times over the past 10 years.

Since I'm back in the south now, I'm thinking of making my first trip to Sun-n-Fun this year.

For those that have recently been to both AV and SnF, what are the major differences between the two? I've been to AV 4-5 times over the past 10 years.

From what I hear Sun N Fun is like a mini oshkosh, still fun though

With that said, Sun N Fun is MUCH more accessible to me at this point in my life and because of that, it wins more yearly votes from me.

I prefer Sun n Fun. There are more food and lodging options, it's not as crowded, you get more facetime with the vendors.

HOWEVER there are not nearly as many experimental aircraft that fly in and park on the line. If you like looking at what others have built, you will be MUCH happier at OSH, on the order of 20 times happier. OSH is set up for on-site camping better, too, if that's the way you go.

So 'camping under the wing' isn't popular at SnF? That's really convenient for me as it usually ended up being a last minute "Oh, I guess I can make it after all" trip to OSH so all I needed was a tent and an overnight bag - no reservations needed.

I have been to the S&F grounds to visit the museum there and that was fun. All I know about the actual event is that the guy who owned my airplane before me was there and had the plane broken into and all the radios stolen out of it. He got a waiver and flew to Sarasota and insurance put in a new panel. Then 8 months later I bought the plane.

So 'camping under the wing' isn't popular at SnF? That's really convenient for me as it usually ended up being a last minute "Oh, I guess I can make it after all" trip to OSH so all I needed was a tent and an overnight bag - no reservations needed.

I've lived both North and South and flown in and camped at both AV and SnF (though SnF only once). I agree with all the comments except the camping comment. I found camping with the plane at SnF better than AV. It is a smaller show and you can camp and easily walk the show. SnF is like AV with the North 40 located CLOSE to the show.

Also, I always feel like I'm missing something at AV when I'm only there a few days. A long weekend at SnF was enough to see what I needed to see. I would have enjoyed a few more days, but I didn't leave with an unfinished list of stuff to do/see.

If weather permits, I may make SnF this year too.

Chris,

There has been in past events a dedicated RV- owner camping area east of the seaplane parking area and west of the heavy twin ramp (basically south of the overnight camping area that is adjacent to the LAL VOR transmitter). As with all of SnF space is limited, but the other owners would squeeze you in if at all possible. I haven't been back to SnF in a few years, but I suspect the area still exists. The long term camping "under the wing" is at the west end of 9/27 very similar to the west end of the North 40 at Av.

The big difference? SnF is a quarter the size. That drives a lot - good and bad.

How easy is it to fly VOR into SnF?

I know OSH has a whole bookletand special ways, but I've never tried to fly into SnF but I might this year

How easy is it to fly VOR into SnF?

I know OSH has a whole bookletand special ways, but I've never tried to fly into SnF but I might this year

I'm assuming you mean "VFR".

The arrival procedure is fairly straightforward, but watch for those who don't understand what the NOTAM clearly depicts.

There is a published arrival NOTAM for SnF. It should be available in the next few weeks for download and online viewing. It will contain a good photographic overview of the landmarks used to define the arrival route.

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn/GettingHere/flying/arrivalProcedures.aspx

Called the "Lake Parker Arrival" the basic route is fly direct to the power plant northeast of LAL on the shore of Lake Parker, turn due west until you're abeam the tower midfield of the airport, then turn due south until you turn downwind. Depending on the time of day there may be a conga line as you turn west at the power plant.

Like Airventure you tune in the ATIS and monitor the ground controllers as you fly over the power plant and approach the tower.

If you fly a warbird or helo there is a modified pattern from the south side of the field. There may be fly-bys in progress south of the runway when you arrive so you want to make sure you don't overshoot the turn to final. Other than a few more planes to watch for the arrival procedure is really not that complex to accomplish.

I'm assuming you mean "VFR".

The arrival procedure is fairly straightforward, but watch for those who don't understand what the NOTAM clearly depicts.

There is a published arrival NOTAM for SnF. It should be available in the next few weeks for download and online viewing. It will contain a good photographic overview of the landmarks used to define the arrival route.

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn/GettingHere/flying/arrivalProcedures.aspx

Called the "Lake Parker Arrival" the basic route is fly direct to the power plant northeast of LAL on the shore of Lake Parker, turn due west until you're abeam the tower midfield of the airport, then turn due south until you turn downwind. Depending on the time of day there may be a conga line as you turn west at the power plant.

Like Airventure you tune in the ATIS and monitor the ground controllers as you fly over the power plant and approach the tower.

If you fly a warbird or helo there is a modified pattern from the south side of the field. There may be fly-bys in progress south of the runway when you arrive so you want to make sure you don't overshoot the turn to final. Other than a few more planes to watch for the arrival procedure is really not that complex to accomplish.
Thanks very much! Seems a heck of a lot easier than OSH. I think I will reserve a plane ahead of time to fly this year!

Back