Airplane for this mission

DavidWhite

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
DW
The company I fly for needs an airplane to be able to reliably make trips of around 750nm one way (1500 RT but not on the same day) into possibly mountains for possibly up to 2 - 3 years. We would be doing trips once a week or every other week. I'm thinking at a MINIMUM a deiced twin with turbos or a turbo A36 with TKS. We need to be able to carry 3-400 pounds of gear and 350 pounds of people.

What say ye airplane gurus of the Internet? Originally my boss was thinking Cherokee six, and I thought it would be fine but the more I think about it the less fine it sounds.

I'm doing the current trip in a 182 but that is getting old really fast.

The only FIKI single that can carry a big load I can think of is a T210N

Piper malibu... But the T210N would be better for shorter fields.

Six would do the job, but slowly, if a 182 is big enough a six doesn't really buy you much as it isn't THAT much faster, but does burn more go juice.

I think a booted Seneca II with the center seats yanked out would be better, I think a Bo would be the right choice for a single but if I "had to go" in the mountains I think you aren't off the mark thinking turbo twin.

Depends on the required mission reliability. Assuming the mountains you're talking about are west, keep in mind that pistons have some limitations there, especially in winter.

This would be a good 320/T310 trip, especially if you buy one with RAM engines. A turbo Baron would work also, and if you wanted a single a turbo A36 would work. The 320/T310s will be the best bargains of the options out there.

I'd rather fly a 210 than a Malibu. The T210 crossed my mind as well. IF we could find a nice one, I know of a guy who can look at it and affirm the belief it's a good airplane ;)

The only FIKI single that can carry a big load I can think of is a T210N

Piper malibu... But the T210N would be better for shorter fields.

David will never admit a 210 would work, he isn't a fan

Depends on the required mission reliability. Assuming the mountains you're talking about are west, keep in mind that pistons have some limitations there, especially in winter.

This would be a good 320/T310 trip, especially if you buy one with RAM engines. A turbo Baron would work also, and if you wanted a single a turbo A36 would work. The 320/T310s will be the best bargains of the options out there.

I think a T310 with boots would do us something real nice.

Currently we're spending about 3-4k on these trips and we're renting. We could get a lot more airplane for 3-4k a trip.

You wont regret flying a A36 turbo w tks and tips but the interiors are way to nice.......for what you guys do

A done right seneca is what would work well ...I even know of a nice one around

Currently we're spending about 3-4k on these trips and we're renting. We could get a lot more airplane for 3-4k a trip.

If you making $ with rental fees, I think there is some wiggle room to fit something decent in there ownership wise.

You wont regret flying a A36 turbo w tks and tips but the interiors are way to nice.......for what you guys do

A done right seneca is what would work well ...I even know of a nice one around

I'd be interested to see the difference in useful load between a typical FIKI T210 and the Turbo Bo.

I'd be interested to see the difference in useful load between a typical FIKI T210 and the Turbo Bo.

The tks A36TN I flew as about 1500 , I would wager cessna can carry more but I would be leary of maintaining one ...

The tks A36TN I flew as about 1500 , I would wager cessna can carry more but I would be leary of maintaining one ...

Bo is only 250 more than my 182,

Also retract Cessnas don't scare me so long as they are maintained pro actively not reactively

The company I fly for needs an airplane to be able to reliably make trips of around 750nm one way (1500 RT but not on the same day) into possibly mountains for possibly up to 2 - 3 years. We would be doing trips once a week or every other week. I'm thinking at a MINIMUM a deiced twin with turbos or a turbo A36 with TKS. We need to be able to carry 3-400 pounds of gear and 350 pounds of people.

What say ye airplane gurus of the Internet? Originally my boss was thinking Cherokee six, and I thought it would be fine but the more I think about it the less fine it sounds.

RV-10

Stretching the limits of SEP....

Anyways, what's the A36TN powred by?

Over 10,000TT, two gear up landings, engine's at mid time, paint in very poor quality...pass.

Commercial operator, not a private owner.

I wouldn't buy it for personal use, but as a pack mule I would check it out.

Commercial operator, not a private owner.

I wouldn't buy it for personal use, but as a pack mule I would check it out.

I'd rather have a high time part 135 current bird that flies everyday vs. a low time hangar queen some cheap ass owner is trying to dump without spending any money on.:dunno:

I'd rather have a high time part 135 current bird that flies everyday vs. a low time hangar queen some cheap ass owner is trying to dump without spending any money on.:dunno:

For David's use you bet,

You don't fly paint, it is already depreciated....

One of my friends is selling a RAM I T310Q (300 HP engines) for $65k asking price. Engines are nearing TBO with a fresh top. Avionics aren't as nice as you're used to in the Mooney. If you're interested, I can put you folks in contact. He does 175 kts @ 30 gph ROP.

Stretching the limits of SEP....

Anyways, what's the A36TN powred by?

Same as 210 cont io550 which are not cheap to own....especially turboed more reason a freight dawg seneca 3 would be perfect ....lycomings are so much better for every day abuse and turbo application

Same as 210 cont io550 which are not cheap to own....more reason a freight dawg seneca 3 would be perfect ....lycomings are so much better for every day abuse

210 is a 520

I read a while back that there ar more turbo Conti 520's flying than all other turbo engines combined. IDK if true or not but...

Same as 210 cont io550 which are not cheap to own....especially turboed more reason a freight dawg seneca 3 would be perfect ....lycomings are so much better for every day abuse and turbo application

Seneca II onwards are Continental TSIO-360s. Not reliable engines or known for tolerating abuse at all.

Don't the II and up have Contis?

I read a while back that there ar more turbo Conti 520's flying than all other turbo engines combined. IDK if true or not but...

That's probably true. The whole Twin Cessna market is Continentals, and most of them are turbo 520s. Lycoming turbos mainly are in Navajos, and none of the others were very popular. Lycoming turbo controllers annoy me.

Seneca II onwards are Continental TSIO-360s. Not reliable engines or known for tolerating abuse at all.

Granted my sample size is limited to two engines but I have been pleased with our II sporting TSIO-360-EBs. Biggest annoyance has been tuning the fuel system and the turbo crack inspection AD.

Neither is a deal breaker, or confined to just the 360s.

Lycoming turbo controllers annoy me.

Moving parts, what could go wrong?:lol:

Though when you consider that the TIO-540-J2BD is at the upper limit for power from a direct drive 6 banger it actually isn't too bad.

Granted my sample size is limited to two engines but I have been pleased with our II sporting TSIO-360-EBs. Biggest annoyance has been tuning the fuel system and the turbo crack inspection AD.

Neither is a deal breaker, or confined to just the 360s.

True, but most owners of Senecas I've talked to have generally indicated the expenses are high for what you get. I've also never owned one.

Moving parts, what could go wrong?:lol:

Though when you consider that the TIO-540-J2BD is at the upper limit for power from a direct drive 6 banger it actually isn't too bad.

My issue is more with the turbo controllers themselves and their poor operation. Both Navajos I flew would creep all over and be hard to set in the cruise power range. Very sensitive. I've liked the Continental turbo controllers much better as a pilot.

Hmm, not a problem we have had. I am waiting till one of the controllers pukes an aneroid though.

Back