AI Rant

2-Bit Speed

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
2-Bit Speed
Just saw an ad for a monitor. 1440p, over 300 Hz, OLED. Sounds very nice. "And it comes with AI features!" No thanks. Artificial Insemination is the new .com. There are things it can do, but there are so many things it shouldn't be doing. I really don't want (or need) 'AI Features' in a monitor. I want my monitor to display the image from my computer and nothing more.

"NEW AI PCs!!" that screen cap my PC every three seconds and send those images straight to M$.

Similarly, but with last decade's buzzwords instead of the latest - all I want is a TV that displays an image provided to it. I don't want a Smart TV with a bunch of apps, ads, and a remote with dedicated Netflix and Disney buttons. I don't want it to apply motion smoothing or noise reduction. Just a damn TV that converts bits to a picture, unadulterated.

Why is that so difficult?

I'm sorry but, I had to ask A.I.:

What is an AI computer monitor?​

An AI computer monitor is a type of display device that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to enhance the gaming and monitoring experience. These monitors are equipped with advanced features that utilize AI algorithms to analyze and process visual data, providing users with a more immersive and interactive experience.

So you are telling me that you don't want... "a more immersive and interactive experience" ?

I agree with this but I am trying not to. Anytime I bash AI, I hear my grand dad going "Back in my day we didn't need all these things" that we are all going to eventually embrace anyway.
I don't want to be that guy but I also am tired of seeing AI everything.

I am going to force myself to embrace stuff I disagree with so my kids don't look at me like a sad old guy putting on his Sony Walkman to do the yardwork.

I agree with this but I am trying not to. Anytime I bash AI, I hear my grand dad going "Back in my day we didn't need all these things" that we are all going to eventually embrace anyway.

I am going to force myself to embrace stuff I disagree with so my kids don't look at me like a sad old guy putting on his Sony Walkman to do the yardwork.
they are still going to think that

So you are telling me that you don't want... "a more immersive and interactive experience" ?

Remove all the nonsense marketing words and you're left with "An AI computer monitor is a type of display device that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to... These monitors are equipped with... that utilize AI... to analyze and process visual data, providing users with..."

Which may as well be nonsense. And let me ask: Analyze for what? To achieve what? Process in what way?

Last edited:

I see uses for Artificial Insemination. I see also that people are using it as a buzzword and jamming it in products not needing it. Like monitors.

I was a child during the dot-com bubble, but my take-away is that a new technology was being used to sell unnecessary things to the gullible. The internet is a wonderful technology that Amazon has leveraged to great advantage as a retailor. There were both legitimate and illegitimate uses of the technology during the time. I view Artificial Insemination the same way.

I'm sorry but, I had to ask A.I.:

I suspect the AI isn’t running locally-the monitor is giving you a more ‘immersive and interactive’ experience by reporting at least the broad strokes of what you are doing back to the mother ship for analysis, so that any tweaks that might improve the ‘experience’ can be sent back to the monitor

Which raises the same questions one should always ask when offered-or forced to use—a ‘free’ service:
-Exactly what data is being collected?
-To whom is it being sold?

I suspect it will be nearly impossible to get answers to either of those

Similarly, but with last decade's buzzwords instead of the latest - all I want is a TV that displays an image provided to it. I don't want a Smart TV with a bunch of apps, ads, and a remote with dedicated Netflix and Disney buttons. I don't want it to apply motion smoothing or noise reduction. Just a damn TV that converts bits to a picture, unadulterated.

Why is that so difficult?
That's the same argument I use for a phone. I just want a phone. I don't want a calendar, a camera, web browsing, etc. Just a phone.

and for God's sake, don't put an iOS on a laptop.

In '93 I purchased this phone and signed up for the 200 minute plan at $100/month. Everyone I knew laughed and said they would never waste their money on one those things. "If someone needs to get a hold of me that bad they can come find me".
MotorolaMicroTACLite1991.jpg

Just think that was about 30 years ago. I wonder what A.I. will be like ten years from now?

Remove all the nonsense marketing words and you're left with "An AI computer monitor is a type of display device that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to... These monitors are equipped with... that utilize AI... to analyze and process visual data, providing users with..."

Which may as well be nonsense. And let me ask: Analyze for what? To achieve what? Process in what way?
AI is a politician?

Would be great if the AI we were getting today was the version that automated all our unwanted tasks around the house, but instead it's the one that's replacing all our arts and creativity.

In '93 I purchased this phone and signed up for the 200 minute plan at $100/month. Everyone I knew laughed and said they would never waste their money on one those things. "If someone needs to get a hold of me that bad they can come find me".
View attachment 130762

Just think that was about 30 years ago. I wonder what A.I. will be like ten years from now?

As I've said, I see uses for the tech. This ain't it.

Yeah, but... A monitor? That should be a passive device that displays the image that is fed to it.

I've been looking at getting another TV in our house, in the finished basement that we are improving. The newest one we have right now is a TCL Roku TV purchased the last day before everything shut down for the pandemic, so a hair over 4 years old. I really like it - Simple and easy to use, has had software updates that provided me with new features, and I didn't feel like I had to get an external box for it with the built-in Roku. I really like hte simplicity of the Roku remote, too.

So I go back and look at TCL, and... Apparently they're not making Roku TVs any more because Amazon and Google pay them to make Fire and Android TVs, and they can afford to do this because they're big companies with other revenue streams. Same with some other brands. Roku is now making their own TVs, because they likely would be dead if they had to compete in this way with Amazon and Google. At this point, I'd rather have a "dumb" TV and just hook an AppleTV up to it for streaming, but you can't buy those any more either. Sigh.

And now, "AI". I'm all for using that in smart ways. I love technology and how it can make my life easier. But again... A MONITOR?!?!?!!!! This is getting ridiculous.

Yeah, but... A monitor? That should be a passive device that displays the image that is fed to it.

I've been looking at getting another TV in our house, in the finished basement that we are improving. The newest one we have right now is a TCL Roku TV purchased the last day before everything shut down for the pandemic, so a hair over 4 years old. I really like it - Simple and easy to use, has had software updates that provided me with new features, and I didn't feel like I had to get an external box for it with the built-in Roku. I really like hte simplicity of the Roku remote, too.

So I go back and look at TCL, and... Apparently they're not making Roku TVs any more because Amazon and Google pay them to make Fire and Android TVs, and they can afford to do this because they're big companies with other revenue streams. Same with some other brands. Roku is now making their own TVs, because they likely would be dead if they had to compete in this way with Amazon and Google. At this point, I'd rather have a "dumb" TV and just hook an AppleTV up to it for streaming, but you can't buy those any more either. Sigh.

And now, "AI". I'm all for using that in smart ways. I love technology and how it can make my life easier. But again... A MONITOR?!?!?!!!! This is getting ridiculous.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

Would be great if the AI we were getting today was the version that automated all our unwanted tasks around the house, but instead it's the one that's replacing all our arts and creativity.
You know, I've seen that idiom floating around lately, for the obvious reasons. I'd just like to point out that we already have robots doing most of our laundry (not folding), washing our dishes and heating/cooling our houses. Roombas keep our floors clean. GPS mowers do our lawns. These were chores that previously took up tons of human time.

I'll further point out that AI only replaces art if you want it to. Keep making art if you want. It's not like the existence of professional athletes means we can't play sports ourselves on weekends.

I’ll further point out that AI does replace those who used to get paid for their art, though.
This would be my point as well. Copywriters and graphic designers are early professional creatives losing job opportunities due to AI. Not an irreversible trend though and the results with AI may prove to not live up to expectations. Certainly will always be a place for creative expression, but undeniable that AI is encroaching currently.

Don't worry, scrote, it's just marketing hype. It's not like they ran out of bs after quantum blockchain web 3.0. I imagine it went down like this:

researcher: here we present a universal function approximator that leverages the tensor capabilities of modern GPUs
marketer: so, you're telling me AI is just linear algebra?
researcher: yeah pretty much
marketer writes in notebook: anything that uses y=mx+b = AI !!!111

So, remember, next time you interpolate a performance chart or do a W&B, you're doing it with AI.

We STILL don't need all those things. I'd be happy to be that guy. Except I never thought I needed a Sony Walkman. And I'm one of the few percent that still doesn't have a smart phone. If all your friends jumped off a cliff...........

Many of the coming uses of AI are creepy if not downright scary, but it has it's uses. Some of the machines I design at work use AI based vision systems for product inspection. The way it works (I don't do the vision programming myself) is instead of manually setting up the vision "tools" you show the AI a bunch of good and bad parts and it builds a "model". For some kinds of parts that are hard to manually define an inspection for it works very well. I can see that it might be useful to use an AI model to recognize what type of content is being displayed and adjust the monitor settings appropriately. That doesn't mean I want it on my own monitor, though.

Many of the coming uses of AI are creepy if not downright scary, but it has it's uses. Some of the machines I design at work use AI based vision systems for product inspection. The way it works (I don't do the vision programming myself) is instead of manually setting up the vision "tools" you show the AI a bunch of good and bad parts and it builds a "model". For some kinds of parts that are hard to manually define an inspection for it works very well. I can see that it might be useful to use an AI model to recognize what type of content is being displayed and adjust the monitor settings appropriately. That doesn't mean I want it on my own monitor, though.

My thought with the monitor is that I would want those... features coming from the output device (PC/console/firestick/whatever), and controlled through that device instead of the monitor itself. I would love a way to turn some of my older games into HDR, but again, I would want that from my PC, not the monitor.

And I'm one of the few percent that still doesn't have a smart phone. If all your friends jumped off a cliff...........
I jumped over that cliff because I’m tied to people who like to text, and my flip phone was still deciding that when someone else was calling or texting me, it was far more important than anything I happened to be doing at the time.

And I'm one of the few percent that still doesn't have a smart phone. If all your friends jumped off a cliff...........
I carry pocket sized touch-screen computer that just happens to have phone capabilities. It does 90% of what I need to do on a daily basis - email, web browsing, financial management, and so on - from pretty much anywhere, any time. Up until yesterday it was a practical requirement for my job, as it has been for the past 10-15 years.

Different strokes and all that. I don't know that I personally know anyone who still uses a non Android or iOS device. They're still sold, so I guess there's enough of a market.

I dunno. To some extent, it will be unavoidable with pervasive cameras, unless you want to wear a spiderman suit to the grocery store (NTTAWWT). I guess that won't help with automatic license plate recognition, etc.

My son's at camp and they're using some app where you tag your kid, and then they take pictures of zillions of kids running around, and then it automatically tags the photos your kid was in. That seems handy, so long as they don't sell the imagery or use it to train future generations of murderbots, at least not without giving me a cut. Luckily, greed and evil seem to more or less balance out with laziness and incompetence.

I will say I think a couple of salient inflection points were:
* going from the dial-up mentality to the always-on mentality
* going from computer-at-home mentality to computer-in-pocket mentality

I find myself wanting to dial both of those things back a bit and make my interaction with technology more intentional.

I find myself wanting to dial both of those things back a bit and make my interaction with technology more intentional.

That's where I am. The only 'smart' feature I routinely use on my phone is the Kindle app. And I could give that up and switch to physical books (which can be cheaper). I'm not opposed to technology, just inappropriate uses of it, like data collection.

I think A.I.will creep into our lives in ways we hardly notice.

One somewhat trivial example is the way Safari suggests the next word I’m likely to type, like in this post right…

53824094409_27af9dabd7_c.jpg

Or the way sometimes our Tesla’s navigation will automatically fill in the destination that’s in my calendar for that day and time.

Or the way my iPhone/iPad can usually predict the app I’m most likely to need at any given moment.

A.I. will soon permeate everything. It will be a great convenience that we’ll take for granted almost Immediately.

I think A.I.will creep into our lives in ways we hardly notice.

A.I. will soon permeate everything. It will be a great convenience that we’ll take for granted almost Immediately.

And/or swear at immediately. I don't believe that any of your examples are actually AI, but setting that aside - I have all spellcheck/word prediction and grammar correction turned off on all my devices because it is 99% worthless in its best times and downright frustrating in its less stellar times. The only good thing about those things is that you can blame them for your own illiteracy. I prefer to know what words I can't spell so I can go learn how to spell them properly and become less illiterate instead of more. :cool:

I don't believe that any of your examples are actually AI, but setting that aside…

I think predicting the next word is essentially the idea behind the Large Language Models that ChatGPT and its ilk build upon to produce human-like responses to queries.

I think all my example were examples of A.I., albeit crude ones.

I think predicting the next word is essentially the idea behind the Large Language Models that ChatGPT and its ilk build upon to produce human-like responses to queries.

I think all my example were examples of A.I., albeit crude ones.
I suppose you could argue that word prediction is a very crude form of AI, but I don't even see a way to say that auto-filling your destination from your calendar is AI? Or that displaying apps you have typically used at a certain time of day or in a certain sequence before in similar sitiations in the future is AI. Saying those are AI would be like saying the "suggested search results from your history" in a browser are AI-driven, when it's really just your history. But then again, I'm not any type of computer person so maybe I don't know! :)

I’ll further point out that AI does replace those who used to get paid for their art, though.
That's why I put the sports analogy in. The vast, vast, vast majority of people who play sports don't do it for the money.

Look. In a century or less 95% of human labor won't be needed. If today you're only doing something for the money, you're going to be liberated from the obligation to do so. If you are doing it for "the love of the game" then you're still going to be able to do that.

And/or swear at immediately. I don't believe that any of your examples are actually AI, but setting that aside - I have all spellcheck/word prediction and grammar correction turned off on all my devices because it is 99% worthless in its best times and downright frustrating in its less stellar times. The only good thing about those things is that you can blame them for your own illiteracy. I prefer to know what words I can't spell so I can go learn how to spell them properly and become less illiterate instead of more. :cool:
The only use case for spell check in my universe is to automatically flag typos since I’m not prefect on a keyboard, and am horrible typing with thumbs on a phone screen.

Back