Aera 660, view full size approach plates

nrimmer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
nrimmer
Does anyone know if it is possible to view approach plates at full size on the Aera 660? I can view geo referenced charts but there does not seem to be a way to make it full screen. I have it tied to a GNC355 and having the flight plan shown on the 355 with a depiction on the 660 is great, but the 660 screen is already small and the menu to view plates only seems to allow about half size

I don't own one, but from looking at images online it seems that one way to get most of what you want is to put it into portrait mode.

1722455212404.png

I don't own one, but from looking at images online it seems that one way to get most of what you want is to put it into portrait mode.

View attachment 131974I hadn’t seen that before. I’m looking for that but in portrait mode so I can see the entire width of the chart and scroll up and down to see the top and bottom halves

You can only see portions of the plate zoomed in, no matter the orientation of the device. And you will always have to scroll left/right as well as up/down. No way to fit the whole width of the plate in.

Love my little Aera 660, but it’s too small to use for approach plates, in my opinion.

Love my little Aera 660, but it’s too small to use for approach plates, in my opinion.
I think that's one of the things Garmin tried to address with the 760. They also added the ability to insert full approaches into the flight plan.
I really want a 660, but every time I get close to pulling the trigger, I get stuck on the lack of compatibility with non-Garmin ADS-B sources.

I’m trying to eliminate devices and clean things up a bit. It’s almost comical how much redundancy we have now, especially relative to when I started flying 20 years ago. Feels like I spend more time managing various devices than flying the airplane.

An iPhone is always the device of last resort, but first the airplane has to lose power and is out of battery life and I’m running on mags, then the 660 has to run out of battery before I can get on the ground, all while in hard IMC for that to be a serious problem.

The 760 is unfortunately too big to fit in the center stack alongside everything else…plus I already own a 660. I would love to have georeferenced approach plates in center stack under the primary navigator, but the limited visibility on the 660 makes that difficult. My iPad mini is no longer functional and I basically only use it for approach plates, so I’m trying to come up with another clean solution.

There’s a 4 arrow icon that makes it full screen, of course the screen is still smaller than the mini ipad.

Back