ADHD meds and diagnoses as a child.

CAPMOM

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CAPMOM
My son is only 12 but he’s always wanted to be a commercial pilot and is well on his way. He joined Civil Air Patrol and takes private flight lessons. I’m worried that the meds he has been on for adhd or his diagnosis for it and another diagnosis for social pragmatic communication disorder (formally known as Aspergers Syndrome) will automatically disqualify him from his dreams. He has a lot of time to learn to be off meds. Does the FAA look at childhood medical records?

I’m not playing doctor, does he ‘need’ the adhd drugs?

I know even less about the 2nd condition.
With the right unit, I think the Civil Air Patrol is a great start.

GeorgeC is correct, once you go the formal medical route and if you son is declined for class 3, he could then be limited to part 103 ultralight aircraft, hot air balloons (yay) or glider aircraft...the latter is actually a lot of fun!

Do your homework, find a good HIMS (Human Intervention Motivation Study) AME to help guide you on the best course of action.

Someone else recommend using an advocacy service like Aviation Medicine Advisory Services (AMAS) or Left Seat to help navigate the process.

Best of luck to your son!

I appreciate all your help guys. I’m very lost when navigating all this so this guidance is invaluable!!

Since he’s only 12, you have 4 years before he’ll be eligible for a pilot’s license. Much can change in those years, both with him and with FAA rules. Do some research and stay informed as the rules evolve, KEEP COPIES OF ALL MEDICAL RECORDS and make sure the docs do the same. Don’t take any action to apply for an FAA medical without knowing the likely outcome.

Also, do all you can to keep the kid squeaky clean. A drug bust, a minor in possession of alcohol charge, any sort of crime or violence, etc., can squash his dreams. Be sure you know what diagnoses the docs use to prescribe meds, too, as some can wreck his chances. Something like “suicidal ideation” would be a nightmare to overcome.

The FAA needs to rewrite or add an entire chapter to the CFI material on medical issues and how to explain, in detail and the implications, to potential students question 18 of MedExpress.

Perhaps you can enlighten me and everyone else .... Is pragmatic communication disorder a spectrum disorder? I always thought Asperger's was a spectrum disorder, but my brief Google search on PCD was inconclusive.

Back