2012 FAR?

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Anyone know if the new FAR is available as a downloadable PDF? I've got the new AIM but can't find the FAR.

Don't think there's anything available as a freebie. I think the problem is that federal regs can change daily so it would be a significant expense to always have a printed set (I always thing of pdf as a form of printing) that is truly current. I'm not sure whether any of the republishers try to maintain a current set online.

The AIM has an official schedule (although there can be NOTAM'd changes from time to time). But without any kind of publication schedule, the FAR would take a lot more grunt work to keep current. For current FAR, it's probably best to stick with the government's official online set at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/ althought the government's older GPSAssces (http://www.gpoaccess.gov/) is generally easier to browse

Last edited:
Don't think there's anything available as a freebie. I think the problem is that federal regs can change daily so it would be a significant expense to always have a printed set (I always thing of pdf as a form of printing) that is truly current. I'm not sure whether any of the republishers try to maintain a current set online.

The AIM has an official schedule (although there can be NOTAM'd changes from time to time). But without any kind of publication schedule, the FAR would take a lot more grunt work to keep current. For current FAR, it's probably best to stick with the government's official online set at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/ althought the government's older GPSAssces (http://www.gpoaccess.gov/) is generally easier to browse

The GPO version is not downloadable, is interactive and requires network access to be usable.

Last edited:

The ASA version is DRM only. ASA & I have been having "discussions" for the past week about this. I have no problems with a DRM file when it's legitimately copyright, e.g. novel, or other original work. However I do not agree that ASA has the right to put a GPO document into DRM wrapper with restrictions when it's a GPO document! There is no added-content, and little if any added-value.

Now, I have no problem buying ASA's FAR/AIM app because there's added value due to the software development effort. I have the 2011 version but the 2012 version will not be out until mid-October. This completely baffles me. If you can take a GPO document, throw a DRM wrapper around it, why does it take so long to swap the back-end database for the app?

As for keeping the document current, ASA publishes plain-text updates (as does the FAA) so the argument "the FARs change frequently" doesn't apply.

There is no such thing as a 2012 FAR as far as the FAA is concerned. That designation is a figment of the imagination of the publishers like ASA and Jepp. The FARs are continually updated through the rulemaking process. The current one is avialable in a number of forms electronically (though not in a convenient download and access later form).

Same thing for the AIM. The AIM is published every two years with updates every six month in between.

The GPO version is not downloadable

Then how does the information get to your screen?

Hmmmm, I just downloaded part 61. Took 2 seconds. Saved it as an HTML file.

I do know that the 2012 FAR/AIM is ready because I have one. It was a door prize that I won at an AOPA Safety Seminar two weeks ago. I had driven the farthest distance for the seminar and this was the prize.

Doc

I haven't bought an FAR/AIM book for 10 years. Everything is online.

I haven't bought an FAR/AIM book for 10 years. Everything is online.
Did you miss the fun with the 2010 FAR/AIM publications that were completely out-of-date when they were brand new?

The FAA had just done a major revision of Part 61, none of which appeared in the books.

Since the FAA has already put out notice that there will be changes to Part 61 effective October 31 it's a pretty good bet that anything printed saying '2012' is out of date.

I bundle up the FARs and AIM for sale for ebook readers(EPUB and MOBI) but not PDF since the AIM is already in PDF, and the FAR would be painful to setup to do automatically.

Since the FAA has already put out notice that there will be changes to Part 61 effective October 31 it's a pretty good bet that anything printed saying '2012' is out of date.

I bundle up the FARs and AIM for sale for ebook readers(EPUB and MOBI) but not PDF since the AIM is already in PDF, and the FAR would be painful to setup to do automatically.

Where is that available?

Then how does the information get to your screen?

Hmmmm, I just downloaded part 61. Took 2 seconds. Saved it as an HTML file.

Don't want HTML. And remember how many parts there are to 14 CFR and the NTSB sections.

I'm baffled. If ASA has already printed the 2012 version, why doesn't the GPO have it online?
ASA has printed what they call a 2012 version. What the link is are regulation that are current in 2011. When the USGPO starts publishing 2012 regulation version you will have a 2012 US Gov version.

I'm baffled. If ASA has already printed the 2012 version, why doesn't the GPO have it online?
I think you may have missed the point. "The 2012 version" is a re-publisher's creation, not the government's. What is on fedsys is the current version as of today, whatever that day is*. From a regulatory standpoint, there's no such thing as "the 2012 version." Fedsys does have dates, but that's primarily so that one can research the past and find out, for example, what the applicable regulation said when a violation occurred. 2011 is the most recent year because that's what it is today.

*edit: Not quite true. The Fedsys versions are an update on the old printed schedule. You'd still have to research the Federal Register since the last repub date to be sure that you had the regs as the are today.

But the chances are still that the ASA "2012" version is not even up to date as of September 2011.

Last edited:
Don't want HTML. And remember how many parts there are to 14 CFR and the NTSB sections.

Well, that's your issue. It IS downloadable. So don't save it as html. Save it as text. That's available for download as well - along with PDF.

Last edited:
ASA has printed what they call a 2012 version. What the link is are regulation that are current in 2011. When the USGPO starts publishing 2012 regulation version you will have a 2012 US Gov version.
It's a parsing issue.

"ASA's 2012 FAR/AIM" means

"ASA's 2012" "FAR/AIM" not

"ASA's" "2012 FAR/AIM"

Because you're baffled about what a FAR is and isn't.

The FAA revises the regulations constantly (via the rulemaking process). They put these on their web site and they get published in the Federal Register.

What ASA does is grab the regulations at a point in time that they choose, slap a "20XX" label on it, and sell it to you. In the time between their sending it to print, and the time you actually read it, it's likely that some of it has changed.

For my FAR and AIM, they are available from Amazon(Kindle), Barnes and Noble(Nook) and Apple(iBooks for iPad and iPhone and iPod Touch); both the Amazon and B&N versions can be used on their Android, iOS and PC/Mac software. Just search for 'chartbundle' at any of those 3 stores, they all should have samples available so you can check them out.

As I mentioned above, I would recommend holding off on the FAR until November when the Part 61 changes are live.

Back