2 inches bigger and I am having trouble making it fit

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
So my mini finally quit running foreflight because these companies need more of my money.
I opted for the larger not mini because my eyes are not getting any younger and also it was cheaper.

Any of you guys that are packing a couple extra inches have a good way to mount it?
In my plane it has to be on the yoke as that is the only place I have real estate. Or if someone knows of a cool retractable arm that could attach to a seat base and I could some how rotate it up to be at my 2 o clock.

At any rate the mini mounted to my yoke but that mount won't accommodate the girthier model.
I sat in the plane with this and I need something that attaches to the pole behind the yoke with an arm that comes up from underneath and slightly to the right for optimal positioning.

20240829_082259.jpg

Last edited:
So my mini finally quit running foreflight because these companies need more of my money.
I opted for the larger not mini because my eyes are not getting any younger and also it was cheaper.

Any of you guys that are packing a couple extra inches have a good way to mount it?
In my plane it has to be on the yoke that is the only place I have real estate. Or if someone knows of a cool retractable arm that could attach to a seat base and I could some how rotate it up to be at my 2 o clock.

At any rate the mini mounted to my yoke but that mount won't accommodate the girthier model.
I sat in the plane with this and I need something that attaches to the pole behind the yoke with an arm that comes up from underneath and slightly to the right for optimal positioning.

View attachment 132872
LOL - Earlier this week I gave up on trying to use my full-size iPad and got a new Mini. Amazing - I wish I had made this swap much earlier.

Now, after one flight with the Mini running Foreflight on a kneeboard strap, I don't know why anyone would use anything else.

No help, I know, just couldn't resist....

teeheehee, you said “girthier”

I often wonder if people opting for the larger tablets because of aging eyes are aware of the zoom feature. I use an iPhone and have zero issues reading anything because I just zoom in. What am I missing?

This is why my buddy let's me fly with him in his Arrow II. To hold his larger work issued I pad that he uses in a 737 when he is working. lol

I often wonder if people opting for the larger tablets because of aging eyes are aware of the zoom feature. I use an iPhone and have zero issues reading anything because I just zoom in. What am I missing?
As a fellow iPhone user, I was gonna ask if there was a way to embiggen the fonts...

Are we allowed to have such graphic discussions like that here?

Get another cradle. Plenty that will accommodate the larger iPads. Before my Mini, I used "standard" 9.7" iPads since the first generation one. One thing to consider is mounting it in landscape mode or have a swivel attachment. I used one of those with my earlier iPads. Here is is in a Mooney J. I think it's an iPad Gen 2 or 3.

MooneyIpad.PNG

For a non-RAM option, consider the Arkon Robust. Sporty's carries them but I got mine on Amazon. Also from the Arkon website. It works especially well with an oversize case like the one in your photo (I use a similar one with my Mini) because it grabs top/bottom rather than the sides. The cradle is RAM ball compatible so you can use your current setup. I use it with a Mini but if I move up in size, I only have to change the "legs".
1724943215365.png

You would think a combination of components for a RAM mount would work. Using a ball mount to allow portrait or landscape orientation.
You would think. It didn't work out too well for me in a C172, on the yoke. It either is too close to the handles landscape, or obstructs gauges portrait. The vise for the yoke pole usually slides. It was back to the suction mount on the window, which is great for IFR, and being a passenger, but I rather not block any views to the outside.

You would think. It didn't work out too well for me in a C172, on the yoke. It either is too close to the handles landscape, or obstructs gauges portrait. The vise for the yoke pole usually slides. It was back to the suction mount on the window, which is great for IFR, and being a passenger, but I rather not block any views to the outside.
Even so, a mount to the glareshield, or from underneath could be just as effective. It doesn't have to be mounted to the yoke. Being on a ball mount (friction adjusted) allows you to rotate it easily if it's obstructing something temporarily. There's not a ton of space to have it "at 2 o'clock" and not have it blocking the radio stack or throttle quadrant in most aircraft.

You would think a combination of components for a RAM mount would work. Using a ball mount to allow portrait or landscape orientation.
It could. The issue is that every time you want to change it, you have to loosen and tighten. When I was doing it with my iPad 1-3, I was using the RAM Roto-View adapter plate. I'd keep it in landscape most of the time but rotate it for approaches. I still have it and if I move up to a bigger tablet would use it again.
1724949208599.png

Just a question: Since I have used yoke mounts in Cessnas, Mooneys, Bonanzas, Pipers (but not Diamonds*). When I hear "too close or too far or in the way," I always wonder what people have tried. RAM and its competitors provide multiple lengths of double-socket arms and you can combine them to get some very interesting angles. In one airplane I ended up bringing the arms down under the yoke rather than the usual over it.

Too close to the handles? Maybe a slightly longer arm or combining two shorter ones would do the trick?

when I was a lowly renter bouncing around from one plane to another and using a tablet, this was the "mount" I used. it worked perfectly. but again, I no longer use a tablet, the phone works just fine for me. disregard the babbling dbag in the video and focus on the high-quality mount.

Giant iPads in small planes are terrible tools for the job. It's like using a hammer to knit.

My iPad, safely stowed in a side pocket until I need it. More than enough wiz bang automation mounted in the panel for 90% of the flight. Only use the iPad for approach plates or occasional other information, then stow again. I prefer a clean uncluttered cockpit, and could never find a place to mount the iPad that wasn't blocking at least something.

My iPad, safely stowed in a side pocket until I need it. More than enough wiz bang automation mounted in the panel for 90% of the flight. Only use the iPad for approach plates or occasional other information, then stow again. I prefer a clean uncluttered cockpit, and could never find a place to mount the iPad that wasn't blocking at least something.
I have felt the same at times. Even before GPS and tablets, I would fold my Sectional or enroute chart and put it aside when I wasn't actively using it. But, since you mention it, there was an exception - approach plates. Flying IFR, the active paper approach plate was always on a yoke mount. I don't want to do those head movements famous for inducing disorientation. I have no idea whether it would affect me or not, but I also have no desire to find out. So my iPad is exactly where my paper approach plates were. In my normal scan.

Just a question: Since I have used yoke mounts in Cessnas, Mooneys, Bonanzas, Pipers (but not Diamonds*). When I hear "too close or too far or in the way," I always wonder what people have tried. RAM and its competitors provide multiple lengths of double-socket arms and you can combine them to get some very interesting angles. In one airplane I ended up bringing the arms down under the yoke rather than the usual over it.

Too close to the handles? Maybe a slightly longer arm or combining two shorter ones would do the trick?
Exactly my thought. I have made my own mounts a time or two in order to create a custom solution for something that didn't have an existing kit.

I never found an Ipad mount solution that worked for me in the cockpit. Kneeboard on the right leg, Ipad on the left. I had enough peripheral vision that I could follow the magenta line easy enough.

Hate to say it, but the $500 Ipad with Foreflight worked better than the $10,000 panel mount 430 I had in my Turbo Arrow.

eman1200 said:
I agree with @eman1200 ... it's the iOS "three finger double tap". You'll wonder how you lived without it!!

Last edited:
[there are] several ways [to embiggen the fonts] under settings
Sadly, they do jacques squat for scaling the ui elements within ForeFlight :(
I agree with @eman1200 ... it's the iOS "three finger double tap". You'll wonder how you lived without it!!
I don't know, it seems fiddly, even on the ground; the ForeFlight / iPhone experience is already stabby enough in flight. Might be better off with one of those credit card-sized fresnel lenses... you know, the ones that we keep in our flight bags, next to the paracord, so that we can freeze to death while attempting to catch fish.

Sadly, they do jacques squat for scaling the ui elements within ForeFlight :(

I don't know, it seems fiddly, even on the ground; the ForeFlight / iPhone experience is already stabby enough in flight. Might be better off with one of those credit card-sized fresnel lenses... you know, the ones that we keep in our flight bags, next to the paracord, so that we can freeze to death while attempting to catch fish.

GP for the win, again!

Am I the only one here who has disappearing mounts? I swear I had a yoke mount for paper charts, a yoke mount for iPad, etc

Old business model was functional obsolescence, then brittle plastic junk, now the manufacturers have mastered disappearing smart parts. Smart in that they know to disappear when no one is watching.

@masloki uses a comically huge ipad in a very small airplane.

I use a mini in a comically huge airplane.

Who you gonna please with that little thing?

Myself.
Thanks Jim. I’ve been looking forward to the chance to talk about my mounting technique. It does require balls, four of them, for best results. I started with the handlebar Ubolt double mount on top of the yoke, then added a double ball and a double socket. That’s capped off by an adjustable for your pleasure tablet phone holder. I keep the tablet slid off to one side, landscape oriented, leaving my left hand free to steer, trim or push to talk. The right yoke arm is blocked by the tablet but I always fly one handed so can’t say it’s been an issue. Al Mooney, I’m sure, said as much. Note, I prefer the top mount because that way you are working with gravity instead of lifting against it. The double arm gets the tablet into position regardless of top or bottom. Hope this helps, Bryan!

Thanks Jim. I’ve been looking forward to the chance to talk about my mounting technique. It does require balls, four of them, for best results. I started with the handlebar Ubolt double mount on top of the yoke, then added a double ball and a double socket. That’s capped off by an adjustable for your pleasure tablet phone holder. I keep the tablet slid off to one side, landscape oriented, leaving my left hand free to steer, trim or push to talk. The right yoke arm is blocked by the tablet but I always fly one handed so can’t say it’s been an issue. Al Mooney, I’m sure, said as much. Note, I prefer the top mount because that way you are working with gravity instead of lifting against it. The double arm gets the tablet into position regardless of top or bottom. Hope this helps, Bryan!
Can we see a photo of your unit? I'd like to compare and see if I can mount similarly to you.

Can we see a photo of your unit? I'd like to compare and see if I can mount similarly to you.
Of course! The important part to remember is that no two units are the same. How I mount with my unit may not be comfortable for you. That's okay!

Photos...the aimed at screen one is about my view at eye level.

Yoke no tablet.jpgIMG_7256.jpegIMG_7257.jpeg

Back