Insurance Broker Recommendation / Questions

Justin Brady

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SONIC
Hey Guys,
Long story short I got my PPL at 16 took a loong break and am now back to flying at 32. Working on my instrument at the moment.

Looking to purchase a plane and I just keep coming back to retractable. Just fits my mission better as I want to travel, not bounce around local.

Issue being insurance. As a low time ~150hr pilot PPL+IR what's the likelihood of me being able to insure a retractable plane? Thinking Deb, Arrow, Comanchee, Bo etc
0 time in type (have a few hours in a Bo but none of it logged and it was long ago)

While I'd love insurance I'm not opposed to liability only at least until I get a few hours built up, don't plan on crashing obviously and if I did it wouldn't financially break me.

Basically just looking for some wisdom/advice on how to go about this.
Advice on a good broker to speak to about insurance before starting to seriously try to purchase a plane would be much appreciated as well.

Your inclination to self-insure for hull coverage might be a good way to go if you can accept the risk. My brother and I did that for many years flying in Alaska. Most of our flying was off-airport on wheels, skis and floats, available hull insurance was high, and had operating limitations.

I use Travers Aviation Insurance now. They have proved competitive with responsive customer service.

Another vote for Travers. One route to consider is to get whatever hours of dual in the plane that will be needed to keep the insurance costs down. You could get your commercial cert as part of those hours.

I'll reach out to travers and see what they have to say.
I had considered grabbing one now and finishing up my instrument in it, knocks out the dual hour requirements that way.

Back