HIMS SI Medical Review Timeline

J

John Jones

I want to share my personal experience with waiting on my class 3 medical application to be submitted and reviewed. My first application was submitted and deferred in August of 2022. 2 DUI's and POM charge more than 20 years ago is the reason for the deferral. After several months of back-and-forth mail correspondence with the FAA, I finally received the letter requesting a substance abuse evaluation. It took about 2 1/2 months to secure an appointment with the HIMS psychiatrist and complete the evaluation. The psychiatrist recommended that I provide a blood and urine analysis so that he could include those results with his report, and I agreed to do that. I then waited several weeks for him to submit his report to the HIMS AME that I had not yet met with. It then took a few more weeks to secure the consultation with the HIMS AME. I began the substance and alcohol random monitoring program and 4 months later the HIMS AME finally submitted the report with all other necessary documentation to the FAA. Within a couple weeks I could see on MedXPress that it made it to the "In Review" status and that is where it has stayed for the last 6 1/2 months. I have completed 15 random tests in 9 months so far. I spoke with someone from the regional flight surgeon's office a couple of weeks ago and was told that there are only 2 flight surgeons that are reviewing medical deferrals at this time. It has been 21 months since I began this process.

Does anyone have an idea of how much longer this might take?

After 4 mos of UDS/normal HIMS protocol my HIMS AME recommended issue. It took three months for issue of class 3 SI from the point of sending that report with the recommendation. This was in the summer/fall of 2023.

That is about the same time my report was sent in with the same recommendation. I appreciate you sharing that information.

That is about the same time my report was sent in with the same recommendation. I appreciate you sharing that information.
We have similar paths. If you give me your number, I can call you to discuss. I think you are missing some components.

Back