Flying with retired pilots

Some of us old farts (well I’m not retired yet), medical aside, have more time with the reversers deployed than the total time of most pilots.

You may learn something from the old guys…
And WAY more time watching the airplane fly itself. :D

20 years off... I once heard; I think it was in a FAA Wings Rusty Pilot Seminar or something, prudence dictates an hour of rustoleum in the form of a CFI for every year off.. you may want to work an IPC in there too.

Welcome back....
I heard the same thing. And think it is bunk for many people.

I took off about 6 years the first time. 1 hour and I had a BFR signed off. A couple of hours on my own, and a couple hours with a CFII and I had an IPC signed off.

Second time, I took off about 20 years. 1.3. for the FR, and a total of 3.2 for the IPC (because the rules require more now). Yeah, a few more hours before I felt like I was back to where I wanted to be. But nowhere near 20 hours total.

Troll thread? I had 20+ years off took about 7 hours to get back to flying solo. The first thee hours I was wondering why it wasn't clicking. Then all of sudden it did and I was back. That was over 10 years ago haven't looked back.

7X50= $350 I think that is probably worth the price even it it takes a little longer.

I took off about 6 years the first time. 1 hour and I had a BFR signed off. A couple of hours on my own, and a couple hours with a CFII and I had an IPC signed off.

Second time, I took off about 20 years. 1.3. for the FR, and a total of 3.2 for the IPC (because the rules require more now). Yeah, a few more hours before I felt like I was back to where I wanted to be. But nowhere near 20 hours total.
I’m just not gonna tell anybody that I saw a logbook from a guy who claimed to be consistently flying for years, but his last flight review took 20 hours, and his IPC took almost 40.

A happy marriage is important and you need to be understanding regarding your wife's concerns. You should endeavor to do as she asks. Take out an ad in the "Personals" section:

Private pilot, male, 49, with access to airplane seeks female traveling companion age 30-45 for weekend trips, adventure. Fun locations, outstanding meals and accomodations. All expenses paid.

Ask your wife to proofread it for you before you submit it.

HOWEVER, you had the benefit of just about the best training possible, which many pilots here did not have.

That sorta leads the inquisitive to ask whether he died as a result of the flight.....
Heart attack year or so later. I was only shakey on the landing.

It was very rewarding when my wife noticed that my landings improved each time she flew with me and would mention it to me. Now she rates them 1-10 and I get 9s now from her most of the time.
I have over 2600 landings now in my log book. It’s all I do mostly with music late all by myself most times. It’s a good workout for me as I am sweating sometimes when I am done in this weather.

Last edited:

Can you leap tall buildings in a single bound? :D:cool::p:)

I wasn’t the instructor who was building that time…I was evaluating the logbook for a checkride that he ended up not taking.

Ah, I misunderstood. I always kinda thought you'd be 'the hammer' of check airmen, based on your posts here. :p

Ah, I misunderstood. I always kinda thought you'd be 'the hammer' of check airmen, based on your posts here. :p
I’m “the Assassin”, but I’m not allowed to tell anybody. ;)

And that nickname actually has nothing to do with me being an examiner…it’s how my iPhone transcribed my name on a voicemail. :rofl:

Could we update the Subject of this thread?

Last edited:
Be careful flying with randoms. They have access to the flight controls. The CFIs at the FBO have an idea who is safe to fly with. We've got a pilot/A&P who shouldn't be near a paper airplane. He's going to get someone killed.

Back