Would some one really buy this airplane?

One of nicer planes I've seen Wentworth offer up for sale. If it was a good deal on a parts plane, why would one of if not the largest salvage yard out there be selling it?

For someone looking for job and lots of risk.

At the buy it now price, plus 180 engine and prop, it would be a $40K+ project and the time it takes to put it all together and source the parts.

Why not just buy a C172/180 and skip all that fun?

Parts - somebody would have already fixed it if it were worth the trouble. Looks like the right wing strut hit a stationary object at high speed and the main gear may have been completely torn away as well.

There are a lot of missing pictures.

Don't think my A and P would declare it airworthy! May make a nice tree house for a kid.

In a heartbeat for the right pice.

I'm going to guess the asking price is 2-3x what I'd consider "right" though

Just saw the buy it now

Yep, a out 3x what I'd be a buyer at

$13,900 plus fixing the damage, another $5-10K?? then you need an engine, $10K plus for a good used one? Then you have a 1974 172 with damage history and boat anchor avionics! :dunno:
If a guy had an engine laying around and was pretty good with tools he might make an airplane for less than it would sell for fixed..........might. :nono:

$13,900 plus fixing the damage, another $5-10K?? then you need an engine, $10K plus for a good used one? Then you have a 1974 172 with damage history and boat anchor avionics! :dunno:
If a guy had an engine laying around and was pretty good with tools he might make an airplane for less than it would sell for fixed..........might. :nono:

Yep, if I had a place to put it and could get it for the current bid, then buy a core engine to overhaul myself, add a used strut and slap it back together and I could make a (very) little money.

Or if our school needed another primary trainer, we have a strut and an engine laying around...

Parts - somebody would have already fixed it if it were worth the trouble. Looks like the right wing strut hit a stationary object at high speed and the main gear may have been completely torn away as well.

There are a lot of missing pictures.

If it were good for parts, Wentworth would buy it.....wait, they're the ones selling it.

You can be sure the avionics, boat anchor or not will be removed.

So wait, they flew it from one perfectly good airport to another with a bent strut!?

Went worth is looking for all the money,if it was worth repairing the would truck it to their location.if your retired and still want some stress in your life make an offer.

Well the accident was an interesting one at least
Wait, they flew to another airport with a bent strut and landed safely. So, the airplane was still flyable(not "airworthy"), but winds up as a pile of parts at Wentworth?? Sounds like they sold it to the insurance company, someone(possibly Wentworth) bought the salvage, removed the good stuff and now Wentworth is looking to unload the carcass.

What a deal I've got for you... :rolleyes:

Wait, they flew to another airport with a bent strut and landed safely. So, the airplane was still flyable(not "airworthy"), but winds up as a pile of parts at Wentworth?? Sounds like they sold it to the insurance company, someone(possibly Wentworth) bought the salvage, removed the good stuff and now Wentworth is looking to unload the carcass.

What a deal I've got for you... :rolleyes:

don't the struts just hold the wings up while its on the ground?

don't the struts just hold the wings up while its on the ground?
Must not be too important - just take a reciprocating saw and hack 'em off 6 inches from the fuselage. I wondering how many other locations on this carcass "rapid disassembly methods" were used... :rolleyes:

Must not be too important - just take a reciprocating saw and hack 'em off 6 inches from the fuselage. I wondering how many other locations on this carcass "rapid disassembly methods" were used... :rolleyes:

Notice they only cut the one end?:lol:

Anybody who tries to buy salvaged planes may find that Wentworth and other big yards bid very aggressively for stuff that would make no economic sense for a rebuild project. They've done it for years and have apparently been successful.

Anybody who tries to buy salvaged planes may find that Wentworth and other big yards bid very aggressively for stuff that would make no economic sense for a rebuild project. They've done it for years and have apparently been successful.

It has been evaluated by experts and considered totaled, why does any one think they can fix it for less?

There is some value there in parts, but not much.

Yeah...because they charge 80% of new for used parts! :yes:

Don't buy it without a pre-puchase inspection!!

José

It has been evaluated by experts and considered totaled, why does any one think they can fix it for less?

Because totaled is completely an artifact of the value of the policy, NOT of the value of the aircraft.

Paul

Because totaled is completely an artifact of the value of the policy, NOT of the value of the aircraft.

Paul
That's true, but one would assume that the aircraft was insured to its market value.

It would not be in the hands on Wenthworth if they had not bought it from the insurance company.

they often sell re-builders, this is no exception.

Paul

Yes, and if you can buy it cheaply enough you can do ok with something like this.

The asking price is NOT cheap enough

Yes, and if you can buy it cheaply enough you can do ok with something like this.

The asking price is NOT cheap enough

I couldn't afford to be given this aircraft.

Which makes you wonder why it's Wentworth that's selling this one.

In most cases it's because they got what they wanted that would turn quickly and can get more from the hulk as a package than as parts.

Which makes you wonder why it's Wentworth that's selling this one.

Last edited:
That's true, but one would assume that the aircraft was insured to its market value.

It would not be in the hands on Wenthworth if they had not bought it from the insurance company.

they often sell re-builders, this is no exception.

But insurance companies total at 80% (not that I'm recommending anyone buy this thing) and use new parts and FBO labor rates on pretty liberal time allowances to work off, then there is also transportation costs thrown in. The main reason that insurance companies will total though is to prevent being sucked into the bottomless repair pit.

Nope, the main reason for total is when the net claim cost is lower after paying the policy limit and selling the hulk rather than the paying the repair estimates from the shops. The percentage rate for totals vs repairs varies based on a combination of factors including input from adjusters. We saw a number in the ~2/3 value range after the N TX tornado barrage a few years ago.

But insurance companies total at 80% (not that I'm recommending anyone buy this thing) and use new parts and FBO labor rates on pretty liberal time allowances to work off, then there is also transportation costs thrown in. The main reason that insurance companies will total though is to prevent being sucked into the bottomless repair pit.

Nope, the main reason for total is when the net claim cost is lower after paying the policy limit and selling the hulk rather than the paying the repair estimates from the shops. The percentage rate for totals vs repairs varies based on a combination of factors including input from adjusters. We saw a number in the ~2/3 value range after the N TX tornado barrage a few years ago.

Right, that's where the bottomless repair trap comes in. Once they commit to the repair, they will see it through, and all too often there are issues not found until a significant way into the project which bring the costs of repair beyond those of the policy limit. After hurricane Frances the boat I was running got $2.2MM of repairs on a $1.5MM policy because the insurance company's surveyor missed seeing some significant damages.

Back