Words of Advice from DE

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
When I got my PPL, the DE that I took my checkride with gave me a handout with a bunch of tips about flying on it. A lot of them are useful stuff, I think, like:

13. A pressure applied to a control will result in the same airplane response at 60 mph as will the same pressure applied at 100mph, although the control movement will be more at the slower speed

But there is one tip that I don't know if I agree with, anyone agree?

32. An attempt to restart an engine in flight will not be successful if the prop is stopped, so concentrate on the landing

Is that true??

NickDBrennan said:
When I got my PPL, the DE that I took my checkride with gave me a handout with a bunch of tips about flying on it. A lot of them are useful stuff, I think, like:

Quote:
32. An attempt to restart an engine in flight will not be successful if the prop is stopped, so concentrate on the landing

Is that true??

The assumption in this statement is that the prop stopped because the engine seized. For the most part, it is true. There is a rare possibility that the prop stopped because the pilot somehow killed the engine (i.e. fuel starved) and then pitched to such a slow airspeed that the prop stopped windmilling, and then carefully limited airspeed so as to not cause the prop to start windmilling again (or in the case of a multi-engine shut the engine down and feathered the prop). I believe if you executed those last two steps in the single (or caged one in a multi) you'd remember it, so I would agree with the DE's advice. If the prop isn't windmilling the engine is toast--move on to other topics.

Ed Guthrie said:
The assumption in this statement is that the prop stopped because the engine seized. For the most part, it is true. There is a rare possibility that the prop stopped because the pilot somehow killed the engine (i.e. fuel starved) and then pitched to such a slow airspeed that the prop stopped windmilling, and then carefully limited airspeed so as to not cause the prop to start windmilling again (or in the case of a multi-engine shut the engine down and feathered the prop). I believe if you executed those last two steps in the single (or caged one in a multi) you'd remember it, so I would agree with the DE's advice. If the prop isn't windmilling the engine is toast--move on to other topics.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Jeannie

NickDBrennan said:

Quote:
13. A pressure applied to a control will result in the same airplane response at 60 mph as will the same pressure applied at 100mph, although the control movement will be more at the slower speed
I'd like to see the proof of that. It certainly would not apply to any aircraft that does not have direct mechanical controls, and I'm not at all sure it applies to those with them.

NickDBrennan said:

Is that true??

I takes into account an assumption that is true probably 95% of the time in a piston single recip, that is if the prop isn't windmilling, there is a mechanical problem keeping the engine from turning over and it won't run. I always bump the starter once anyway to make sure, especially if it dies climbing at low speed. Generally it is true.

Ron Levy said:
I'd like to see the proof of that. It certainly would not apply to any aircraft that does not have direct mechanical controls, and I'm not at all sure it applies to those with them.

I wouldn't mind seeing the proof either, but I could imagine it making sense. Less air moving over the controls at a slower speed, therefore more movement. You'd have to deflect the same amount of air (maybe?) so the forces acting on the controls would be the same?

Just trying to rationalize it.

Ron Levy said:

Well it's certainly not true in a Baron given that 60 mph is well below Vs. I do expect that for some airplanes (C-172 for instance) it is approximately correct within the ability of the average pilot to "measure" control force. Given that some aircraft designs have had to augment control feel with bungies and bobweights, I seriously doubt that this would apply to any aircraft with a Vs below 60 mph.

As to the stopped prop issue, I have personally experienced an engine stoppage in a single (fixed pitch prop) when performing some acrobatics with the thottle closed. I would agree that if you are anywhere near best glide speed and the prop stops on it's own, chances are you won't get it turning again. OTOH hitting the starter if you have the time isn't likely to hurt either.

Henning said:
I always bump the starter once anyway to make sure, especially if it dies climbing at low speed. Generally it is true.

Gee Henning, do you have engine failures that stop the prop often enough to "always bump the starter to make sure"? Remind me not to fly with you.
:rofl:

Greg Bockelman said:
Gee Henning, do you have engine failures that stop the prop often enough to "always bump the starter to make sure"? Remind me not to fly with you.
:rofl:
I disagree with you Greg, Having read several of Hennings posts about surviving infight emergencies I would surly not have a problem flying with him.
He seems to be well trained, very experienced, and cool headed. Henn if you are ever in South Jersey let me know, I'd fly with you........KD

Back