WingX CFI Free No More

Yep. I'm guessing the beginning of the end for a once-great app that has not had an update in years. Probably just concentrating on the AeroApp DoD version at this point.

You may be correct, but when you give the VFR product for free to anyone and the IFR product to CFIs and military for free, there not much revenue to develop new software.

I have used WingX for more than a decade and will probably stay with the product because it does everything I need.

You may be correct, but when you give the VFR product for free to anyone and the IFR product to CFIs and military for free, there not much revenue to develop new software.
I think it’s one of those chicken-egg situations. WingX and ForeFlight ran neck and neck for several years, leapfrogging each other with new features. I made my choice over 13 years ago when they were the only two EFBs, but my impression was that their shares of the then tiny market were pretty much equal. We can only speculate why it happened but at some point FF took the market share lead and never looked back.

I agree with you on VFR free, but I saw that as a sign of giving up. And I don’t recall a significant upgrade since (incorporating ADS-B was a necessity). CFI free and CFI discounts are typically efforts to put the app in the hands of CFIs who generally have influence over their student choices. Removing it suggests the strategy hasn’t worked for them.

Probably means I will start using Foreflight, as that is what I recommend for students that are planning on flying professionally as it is the one employers are most likely to provide IMO.

I thought they might get a pretty good in, in the Android market for Recreational pilots, but their Android version never really caught up to the IOS version.

Brian

Probably means I will start using Foreflight, as that is what I recommend for students that are planning on flying professionally as it is the one employers are most likely to provide IMO.

I thought they might get a pretty good in, in the Android market for Recreational pilots, but their Android version never really caught up to the IOS version.

Brian
The difference is primarily the marketing both companies did and FF paying a royalty to Gamin. FF is $240 for geo approach charts vs $75 for WingX. There is not 320% additional value in Foreflight.

Last edited:
The difference is primarily the marketing both companies did and FF paying a royalty to Gamin. FF is $240 for geo approach charts vs $75 for WingX. There is not 320% additional value in Foreflight.
That’s a matter of personal preference.

I saw a post that said Avare had everything they needed for VFR an IFR. I replied the chances are they never tried anything else.

A friend is an Apple hater. Happily used DroidEFB for years. Then he helped a friend bring a newly purchased airplane back east from the west coast. The aircraft owner used ForeFlight. My friend bought an iPad and subscribed to FF a week later.

Just IMHO from having used just about every EFB in the US market: Marketing is definitely at work but I think there was more to the early growth of ForeFlight relative to WingX than marketing. The two apps approached the subject in different ways and one just was felt to be more personally “intuitive” by more people.

Yep. I'm guessing the beginning of the end for a once-great app that has not had an update in years. Probably just concentrating on the AeroApp DoD version at this point.
According to the Apple store, WingX has been updated to new version numbers 5 times since 2020. If you meant MAJOR updates, then having to rewrite the entire app to keep up with ipad and iphone operating system changes, then IIRC that was around 2014 or so and there were some growing pains then. However to set the record straight, they have been updating the app roughly once per year for the past 5 years (once in '20, twice in '21, once in '22, and once this past May of '24.

Back