Wind Wind GO AWAY!!

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
Anyone else having a hard time with the wind this week?

I've had to cancel three days in a row because the wind down here has been to high. Its been a constant 15-20Kts every afternoon. :mad2: That may not seem like much to some of you. However, I can't fly with anything higher then a 13Kt crosswind and anything higher then 20kts overall.

The forecast says the wind is suppose to stick around until Monday at the earliest.

Jet stream is to blame, per the Weather Channel. Also supposed to remain stationary through week. :sad:

Makes sense. There is a stationary low over the Great Lakes that I've notice on the prog charts. I don't have TV so I can't tune into the nightly weather rundown.

Plus when its CAVOK I tend not to pull up anything besides the TAF and Current METAR.

Our rules state:

Dual Flight Wind Limits: 20kts , 10kts Crosswind, Unless CFI has 50 PIC in Make and Model.

I have 200+ in Make and Model so I can go to the Max Demonstrated

Last edited:
was windy at Sebring yesterday,not many demo rides going on.

Yeah - last couple of days (and tomorrow forecast, too) we've had around 15-20kt with G20 - G35 direct xwinds. Scratched a flight Wed, and will probably do the same tomorrow.

Dead calm here. Still can't fly VFR, though:

Instead we've had fog all day, every day for the last couple weeks and forecast is more of the same for another week at least.

I just flew back home from work tonight. I had a pretty stiff headwind, but it still beats the crap out of driving. It felt like it was taking me longer to get home but my overall flight time was not much different than usual.

Funny how THAT works.

I stayed down at 4,500 because the winds aloft in my WingX program was showing crazy strong headwings the higher up you went. Maybe when I fly back to work Tuesday morning I'll get lucky and have a big tailwind.

Last edited:
It has been windy here, too. Not bad on Wednesday, but pretty windy yesterday and today. This weekend is supposed to be better.

Are you recommending he grab himself?

Didn't notice the signature… but why not.

Has he considered flying with AggieMike? Insurance rates actually go down if AggieMike flies the plane with winds exceeding 30 knots.

Windy as heck on my days off but calm and pretty if im at work.

What's wrong with wind? Planes need it to fly.

I've had to cancel three days in a row because the wind down here has been to high. Its been a constant 15-20Kts every afternoon. :mad2: That may not seem like much to some of you. However, I can't fly with anything higher then a 13Kt crosswind and anything higher then 20kts overall.

The forecast says the wind is suppose to stick around until Monday at the earliest.

Almost dead calm all week. Had some light breeze blow through mid week to clear out the pollution, but I noticed the crap back this afternoon with the inversion at about 1500AGL.

But the Santa Anna wind has been giving the Mojave Desert into the Cajon pass a headache.

I feel your pain. Flew into Holley Mountain yesterday afternoon. Being on top of the mountain, and tucked into a cutout of trees makes a gusty arrival rather interesting. It felt like I was landing inside a washing machine.

Are you saying that you can't train students if the wind is high? How are they supposed to learn to handle it then? What happens if they get back from a solo XC and the wind has kicked up? They need to know how to make at least one survival landing.

I flew with a student the other day with it 21 G 25 and she did great. she said "can we do shorts and softs in this wind?" I said, sure its only wind - we'll do those take offs but since you're still learning to land in wind we'll just make the landing normal.

Hope none of the students from some conservative schools ever come out here it's rare for the wind to be less than 15.

I understand that insurance drives some decisions regarding Wx limits.

Wind is picking up again. Was only G20 earlier, but looks like G35 here shortly. Of course, mostly across the runway.

At some point you just scare the students :)

Are you saying that you can't train students if the wind is high? How are they supposed to learn to handle it then? What happens if they get back from a solo XC and the wind has kicked up? They need to know how to make at least one survival landing.

I flew with a student the other day with it 21 G 25 and she did great. she said "can we do shorts and softs in this wind?" I said, sure its only wind - we'll do those take offs but since you're still learning to land in wind we'll just make the landing normal.

Hope none of the students from some conservative schools ever come out here it's rare for the wind to be less than 15.

I understand that insurance drives some decisions regarding Wx limits.

I don't think his concern was simply wind, but rather crosswind.

He said that he can fly right up to the maximum demonstrated crosswind but that the winds were even stronger than that.

Just curious. How much xwind is too much? Twice the demonstrated? Three times?

I am glad, though, that you understand the liability issues.

I don't think his concern was simply wind, but rather crosswind.

He said that he can fly right up to the maximum demonstrated crosswind but that the winds were even stronger than that.

Just curious. How much xwind is too much? Twice the demonstrated? Three times?

I am glad, though, that you understand the liability issues.

If I'm flying the Arrow I don't notice the crosswind as much. It doesn't have the barn door side fuselage like the Maule. I've done 20-25kts gusting in the Arrow. If you keep it steady shes fine. The Maule tends to weather vane and buck around especially if its gusty. It likes to fly to much. :D

However, I rarely see anything above 15kts of crosswind because of our limits. It's not the case of I can't its the fact that the FBO won't give out the aircraft.

The few times I've flown with those crosswinds I've found it fun.

Right now the landings would be quite interesting. Its currently 230@18. So that would make our GS at landing roughly 34Kts over the fence and 20kts at touchdown. :yes: :D To bad I'm not in town or I'd throw my student out there.

Last edited:
KLNK 181854Z 33034G53KT 8SM BKN033 OVC048 06/M06 A2983 RMK AO2 PK WND 32053/1816 SLP109 T00611061

It's a bit sporty here, too:

KIXD 182053Z 30021G36KT 10SM OVC065 09/M05 A2981 RMK AO2 PK WND 32045/2033 SLP101 T00891050 53012

KOJC 182053Z 31019G42KT 10SM BKN060 OVC075 08/M06 A2979 RMK AO2 PK WND 31042/2045 SLP094 60000 T00781061 53011

Most of the landing incidents/accidents around here on windy days are transients.

Most of the landing incidents/accidents around here on windy days are transients.

Yep, pretty much.

My students may take 15-17 hrs to solo but they can fly in wind :) and, since I don't make a big deal of it they think a 30* XWind at 17 G 22 is normal and just take it in stride. Later on I tell them it was hard.

I had one kid say one day, that really was horrible, : " if I'd known I needed my spurs today I'da shor wore 'em " we had been comparing the 152 to a 2 yr old colt and how he had to make it mind, be proactive and all that.....

Of course, when we go other places in the states we freak out if the viz is less than 20

Back