Whiteman Departure Procedure

topspeak

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Instrument Pilot
In the Whiteman Departure Procedure at the Whiteman Airport in Los Angeles it says the following:

WHITEMAN
TAKE-OFF MINIMUMS: Rwys 12, 30, 2900-2 or std. with
a min. climb of 350' per NM to 4300.
DEPARTURE PROCEDURE: ... Rwy 30, climbing left turn
heading 260°. All aircraft climb to 4500 via VNY R-325,
then climbing left turn direct VNY VOR/DME.

My questions are these:
1. Is that the Van Nuys 325 radial TO or FROM the VNY VOR?
2. How do you calculate feed per minute when the feet per NM are given. (Okay I remember learning this but it's been a while.)

It would have to be from indication on the VOR until reaching 4500 feet and then a climbing left turn direct back to the VNY VOR to the cleared altitude.

You will never get to fly this unless you go lost com. It will be all radar vectors from socal.

1. Radials are ALWAYS from
2. Ground speed * 350/60 = feet per min.

Last edited:
There's a table in the back of the AeroNav (FAA, NACO, whatever) approach chart book for the gradient-rate conversion. There's also one in the Jepp Airway Manual, but I don't remember exactly where.

Radials are always from. There is a chart in the Terminal procedures pub that you are using to give you the climb gradient for your ground speed.

There's a table in the back of the AeroNav (FAA, NACO, whatever) approach chart book for the gradient-rate conversion. There's also one in the Jepp Airway Manual, but I don't remember exactly where.

It's in the front of the Jepps before the enroute section.

Back