When something can go wrong IT DOES..

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
So this afternoon my friends and I flew up to KLIT to see the B-29 "FiFi". The flight up was a nice short hop with clear beautiful skies. Well the problems began as soon as I was performing the preflight a short time ago for the flight back.

While sumping the engine sump I saw fuel pouring out of the nose gear well. Most of the fuel was coming from the fuel dump lines,however some was dripping from the gear doors and further down the cowling. So noticing that was not normal I proceeded to look up under the aircraft. There I discovered oil covering every surface below the engine. Also fresh windblown fuel running down the underside. Upon closer inspection I found clean oil collecting on the outside of a gasket connecting the Fuel Injection Servo to the engine. I can wipe the oil and watch it slowly collect. The oil also is collecting around bolts and dripping onto the nose gear connections.

So calling our Chief CFI, I was told not to call out a mechanic from the FBO but to wait until morning for our A&Ps to show up at work to talk to.

I find it funny that the only reason I noticed this was because I saw the fuel draining from the fuel dump lines funny.

Back