Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
What's it stand for and how big is 1 AMU?
Aviation Monetary Unit, Aviation Maintenance Unit, or other?

$100. You can't do hardly anything in aviation for under $100 but you can do plenty for under $1000. So $100 it is.

no, it's $1000, specifically so you can tell your spouse that your new gadget was LESS than 1 AMU, as opposed to 2 AMUs or 4 AMUs or 6 AMUs.

no, it's $1000, specifically so you can tell your spouse that your new gadget was LESS than 1 AMU, as opposed to 2 AMUs or 4 AMUs or 6 AMUs.

Plus M stand for 1000 in Roman Numerals.

If it was to be 100 it should have been ACU. Aviation Cost Unit.

A follow up. When did you first hear or start using the term "AMU"?
I first heard it on the red board about 2 years ago I think. I've used it only once while talking to the owner of an FBO and he understood it amazingly. I don't really use it often since I try not to taint aviation with cash or credit.

AMU was used in rec.avation.* on or before Dec 2005

I first heard it on the red board about 2 years ago I think. I've used it only once while talking to the owner of an FBO and he understood it amazingly. I don't really use it often since I try not to taint aviation with cash or credit.

I heard it on the Mooney List in 1999, and it was $1000 then too.

Last edited:
I swear when I first heard it on the early AOPA board days I assummed an AMU was $500. It's gone up with inflation since.

I've always understood 1 AMU to equal $1000. Hey, that prop re-seal was only 1.8 AMU's, not too bad!

I always thought Bruce Chien invented the AMU over on the red board. And I've always understood it to mean $1000.

Jim G

I first heard it as Aviation Maintenance Unit on the Uncontrolled Airspace podcast last year. They were talking with James Wembrandt (sp?) after OSH last year and he was talking about how he put his Mooney in for annual at the famous Mooney shop in Minnesota and they found some corrosion in the wing joints. They were talking about how many AMU's it was going to cost him to get fixed.

Back