What type of battery to buy

flykelley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flykelley
Hi Gang
The flying club I belong to needs to buy a battery for the Dakota. So what type have you used? What about buying a Gel instead of a acid filled battery. Pros and Cons please.

Thanks Mike

Using a good Battery Tender with a desulfating cycle will help AGM batteries last many years. Getting 8-10 years out of an Odyssey battery is not unusual. Concord is a good battery also.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/home.php

You can leave these chargers on 24/7/365, they are fully automatic and go into a maintenance cycle after fully charging the battery.

Last edited:
Using a good Battery Tender with a desulfating cycle will help AGM batteries last many years. Getting 8-10 years out of an Odyssey battery is not unusual. Concord is a good battery also.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/home.php

You can leave these chargers on 24/7/365, they are fully automatic and go into a maintenance cycle after fully charging the battery.
Hi Geico
Last winter we started using Battery Tenders, but we do not use them in the summer months since the planes fly alot more here in Michigan than durning the summer. The battery in the Archer is doing well, bit the Dakato battery seems to be a problem child. Just had a new engine installed in the Dakato along with a new Alt, so we know its getting a charge. Really just looking to see what everyone thinks about going to the new gell battery.

Thanks Mike

Hi Geico
Last winter we started using Battery Tenders, but we do not use them in the summer months since the planes fly alot more here in Michigan than durning the summer. The battery in the Archer is doing well, bit the Dakato battery seems to be a problem child. Just had a new engine installed in the Dakato along with a new Alt, so we know its getting a charge. Really just looking to see what everyone thinks about going to the new gell battery.

Thanks Mike

It's good to use the BatteryMINDer year 'round because the desulfator is useful, even if the battery doesn't need to be charged.

It will take only one run-in with the effects of battery overflow to convince you that sealed batteries are always better.

Hi Gang
The flying club I belong to needs to buy a battery for the Dakota. So what type have you used? What about buying a Gel instead of a acid filled battery. Pros and Cons please.

Thanks Mike

The best batteries on the market right now are the AGM or Absorbed Gas Mat batteries. I'm not sure they are available in aviation models, but I suspect they are. I would avoid gel cells as they are a bit lower in voltage, and very sensitive to overvoltage charging.

It will take only one run-in with the effects of battery overflow to convince you that sealed batteries are always better.

Explain please, all batteries are vented. AGM & Gel Cells won't overflow, but a sealed wet cell is the worst of all worlds.

Concorde has an AGM battery for most of the Piper Products. You may need a
different cover (which Concorde will supply). Consider the Concorde 35AXC (Extra cranking amps) and you will never use anything else!

Gel and AGM are two very different animals. AGM (actually VRLA) is what you want and the only good aviation mfg is Concord. I'd spring for the slightly pricer XC version (that's what I got last time) although the "plain vanilla" RG series is pretty good.

-lance

Gel or AGM are all the rage and may be all we are able to get before long.
Prices have come down to being close to a Dry Charge Wet Cell.
My AGM lasted only 9 months. It would show good voltage and show on amp meter
that it was charged up. BUT had NO capacity.
Since then I have learned that AGM does not like to sit long periods with little use.
A flying club would probably be perfect use!
I had an early one so maybe they have been improved since mine died.

Make sure you have Concord mail you the STC. It's a thick deal.

Explain please, all batteries are vented. AGM & Gel Cells won't overflow, but a sealed wet cell is the worst of all worlds.
My Concorde RG-25 is sealed, i.e., it doesn't dribble in the engine compartment like the old battery, nor does it need topping up periodically. Further, I knoweth not.

My Concorde RG-25 is sealed, i.e., it doesn't dribble in the engine compartment like the old battery, nor does it need topping up periodically. Further, I knoweth not.

If I'm not mistaken, that is an AGM battery. "Sealed" in the lexicon of batteries that I'm used to means a non serviceable wet cell battery as found in many cars. There is no wet cell that doesn't periodically need "topping off" therefor causing early failure.

If I'm not mistaken, that is an AGM battery. "Sealed" in the lexicon of batteries that I'm used to means a non serviceable wet cell battery as found in many cars. There is no wet cell that doesn't periodically need "topping off" therefor causing early failure.
Sorry for the confusion -- "sealed" in my lexicon means nothing in, nothing out (except electrons). That's what I want in my plane.

Sorry for the confusion -- "sealed" in my lexicon means nothing in, nothing out (except electrons). That's what I want in my plane.

It's not actually completely sealed in that there's a pressure relief valve, but as long as you don't seriously overcharge it the valve should remain closed.

BTW, AGMs typically require a slightly higher charging voltage to get the maximum life out of the battery. You might want to dial up the regulator a little.

Back