What is this symbol at PRB VOR?

NordicDave

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
NordicDave
Couldn't find (L) on the IFR Low Enroute chart legend used for the Paso Robles VOR. Curious who may know.

I know (L) on the Airport identifier indicates pilot controlled lighting. Little stumped as to the 2 L's on the VOR.

LL PRB.png

Chart Supplement (AFD)
66f9afcf0ecc20c89d6b85759f738165.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two facilities there, a VOR and a TACAN. Both are L class service volumes. The Chart Supplement legend explains it pretty succinctly, it's on page 29.

There are two entries because each facility may have a different service volume.
It could also happen with a VOR/DME. The DME service volume will be listed second

Couldn't find (L) on the IFR Low Enroute chart legend used for the Paso Robles VOR. Curious who may know.

I know (L) on the Airport identifier indicates pilot controlled lighting. Little stumped as to the 2 L's on the VOR.

View attachment 133253

First L describes the Signal Service Volume (SSV) for the VOR and second for the DME for the Nav Facility PRB. The service volumes are described in the AIM 1-1-8. With the FAA MON program removing many VOR east of the Rockies, they added new service volumes so that legally one could use VOR or DME at greater distances for IFR navigation. VOR support L, H, VL, and VH service volumes when used off airways and DME added DL and DH to the preexisting L and H. The DME service volumes used to be identical with the L and H of VOR, but the new designations no longer are necessarily the same for both DME and VOR. Although VOR are being removed with the MON, the DME infrastructure is mostly staying the same or being increased in some areas. DME is used with DME-DME RNAV receivers some FMS use to provide RNAV 2 and RNAV 1 capability over land. Of most interest to the piston crowd is the VL and VH which increase the usable distance from a VOR when 5000 ATH (Above Transmitter Height) from 40 NM to 70 NM. With fewer VOR in the system, the extra service volume was needed to support the MON VOR system as a backup to GPS.

Back