Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
malainse
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/Plane_down_in_Three_Rivers

Plane down in Three
Rivers

Created On: Tuesday, 06 Jan 2009, 6:17 PM EST

THREE RIVERS, Mich. (WOOD) - Authorities say a small plane made an emergency landing Tuesday afternoon in the St. Joseph River near Three Rivers.
24 Hour News 8 learned the plane departed from Springfield, Missouri en route to Three Rivers.
Ice started to build on the wings of the single-engine Beechcraft and forced the pilot to land near M-60 and James Drive.
A State Police trooper told 24 Hour News 8 two people aboard the plane, along with their dog, made it out safely after landing a short distance from the airport.
WNDU, our affiliate in South Bend, Indiana, says the owner of the plane, who was also the pilot, has been flying for 40 years and had never before experienced such icing on the wings.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N92WT

Last edited:
Yikes! So close.

I would say it's good in-flight judgment.

Pilots don't have an obligation to die in search of the nearest airport.

WNDU, our affiliate in South Bend, Indiana, says the owner of the plane, who was also the pilot, has been flying for 40 years and had never before experienced such icing on the wings.

Well of course not - He's from Texas! :rolleyes: It's warm and dry there. Up here, it's cold - And he flew just south of Lake Michigan. If winds were out of the North yesterday, it's no shock at all that he turned into a Bo-popsicle.

I was trying to pick up a Skew-T to analyze (Jan. 6, 21:55Z, KRZL) but for some reason I'm not getting any data after the applet starts no matter what time I ask for. :dunno:

Well of course not - He's from Texas! :rolleyes: It's warm and dry there. Up here, it's cold - And he flew just south of Lake Michigan. If winds were out of the North yesterday, it's no shock at all that he turned into a Bo-popsicle.

I was trying to pick up a Skew-T to analyze (Jan. 6, 21:55Z, KRZL) but for some reason I'm not getting any data after the applet starts no matter what time I ask for. :dunno:

OK it looks like the system just didn't like KRZL as a station identifier for some reason. I went to KIKK instead and got this, for the time he passed through the area:

attachment.php

So, it wasn't happening like I thought - He'd have had a nice tailwind. It may have been pushing some slightly warmer air towards the big humidifier called Lake Michigan.

It looks like he may have been right in the tops? Looking at the track log, either he was trying to stay high and do a slam-dunk, or his pitot-static system iced up because it still shows him at 8900 feet at the last location which was only 26.7nm from the destination airport.

Here's the METAR from when they "arrived":

KHAI 062217Z AUTO 10008KT 2SM UP OVC013 M02/M03 A2957 RMK AO2

Attachments

• Picture 45.png
    Picture 45.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 45
...So, it wasn't happening like I thought - He'd have had a nice tailwind. It may have been pushing some slightly warmer air towards the big humidifier called Lake Michigan.

It looks like he may have been right in the tops? Looking at the track log, either he was trying to stay high and do a slam-dunk, or his pitot-static system iced up because it still shows him at 8900 feet at the last location which was only 26.7nm from the destination airport.

Here's the METAR from when they "arrived":

KHAI 062217Z AUTO 10008KT 2SM UP OVC013 M02/M03 A2957 RMK AO2

Lake effect is rarely going to get to Kankakee. :confused:

Lake effect is rarely going to get to Kankakee. :confused:

At ground level... And if you're talking about snow. The fact that we have the big lakes changes a lot of things all over the upper Midwest.

Back