Upholstery / interior re-do’s. Cost?

I do upholstery for a living. You can check out my Facebook page at TheFlightBoxLLC. I do custom interiors and custom embroidery. I’ve done them for as little as $4000 or as much as $8000. Just depends on what material and complex stitching you choose. I’m competitive to airtex pricing, but whatever design you choose!
IMHO, you’re a combination mechanic and artisan mixed with an unusual amount of patience.

That is a VERy good price.

In the Mooney world, the high end is around $24,000 all in for an Aero Comfort full interior. My local FBO quoted me $12,000 for an Airtex interior, installed and included repairing and painting the interior plastic.

I ended up with a local aircraft interior shop that did mine for $14,000. All custom. And they replaced all the cardboard with Kydex plastic.

That is a VERy good price.

In the Mooney world, the high end is around $24,000 all in for an Aero Comfort full interior. My local FBO quoted me $12,000 for an Airtex interior, installed and included repairing and painting the interior plastic.

I ended up with a local aircraft interior shop that did mine for $14,000. All custom. And they replaced all the cardboard with Kydex plastic.
Yes, even with having our a&p/ia install the interior we’d still be under $12,000 for a full interior. I also replace the cardboard with plastic to help eliminate corrosion. The only variable in costs is if you add soundproofing, and if there are unknown issues found behind the panels.

I have had quotes for as much as $28,000 to redo the interior of my 6-seater, and am currently redoing it for about $6,500. To get an accurate assessment of pricing, I think you have to be more specific than "redoing the interior" because there is a wide continuum of approaches (and thus prices).

For instance, on one hand, you could pull all the panels, seats, trim, carpets, headliner, and plastic, remove all the insulation, scrape all the glue, re-insulate, re-paint the entire interior or at least door jams, powdercoat all seats, toss all seat foam and rebuild, toss all old trim pieces and plastics and replace with new, toss all side panels and rebuild new ones, etc, and you could do this with premium, Italian leather and it will get you to that $28,000 number.

On the other hand, you could pull all the panels, seats, and carpet, touchup paint the seat frames, reuse the side panels removing the existing fabrics and reupholstering them, repair and paint the existing plastic trim pieces instead of replacing with new, and use a combination of fabrics and faux-leather vinyls and have the work done via a local auto upholstery shop using flame cert'ed materials, and you get to a number closer to $5,000.
Honestly, if you get a little creative and use a local auto shop, I've been really impressed with pricing. You have to do a little more legwork - you can't just fly in somewhere and hand them the keys, but pulling the trim pieces is really easy, and if you don't use new plastics, you don't have to cut and trim and re-fit everything which is a lot of work.

FWIW, I just had this conversation with my A&P yesterday. This is all owner assisted stuff - just a logbook entry that the owner can make. The only requirements are that you use flame certified materials and that you weigh everything going out and coming back in. If the weight change is negligible (which I think means within a pound, need to confirm on this point) you don't need to redo the W&B. If it is not negligible, you will need to calculate a new W&B and your A&P will need to sign that, but there are no other requirements that really apply here.

I’m located at KRVL Mifflin County Airport.
Here’s a picture of seats and carpet I did.. all new custom foam, embroidery, all leather and the carpet was wool. Came in under $4000. Next he’s doing the side panels when it comes in for annual inspection. Now if you want the seat frames blasted and painted that would be additional.

Attachments

• IMG_7971.jpeg
    IMG_7971.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Wish I had found you a year ago. :D

I am happy with my interior, it was just like pulling teeth to get it done.
Yea. I try to have quick turn around times. If doing a full interior it takes about 4-6 weeks. If just doing seats I generally say 2 weeks. I try not to keep the airplanes out of the sky. I try to keep them flying.

What about the plastic interior parts?

I have a line on an older Bonanza that is mechanically sound and airworthy, but aesthetically challenged. The biggest problem I see it that a lot of the plastic bits have reached the end of their useful life, and I'm assuming that Beech has long ago stopped making replacements. Example in the attached photo (see the cracking around the pull handle):

1727355934248.png

Can parts like these be sourced, other than dumpster-diving from write-off parts planes? What other options are there for getting things like this repaired/replaced?

Is there a business model here for 3-D printing this kind of part for older planes?

What about the plastic interior parts?

I have a line on an older Bonanza that is mechanically sound and airworthy, but aesthetically challenged. The biggest problem I see it that a lot of the plastic bits have reached the end of their useful life, and I'm assuming that Beech has long ago stopped making replacements. Example in the attached photo (see the cracking around the pull handle):

View attachment 133830

Can parts like these be sourced, other than dumpster-diving from write-off parts planes? What other options are there for getting things like this repaired/replaced?

Is there a business model here for 3-D printing this kind of part for older planes?
I know McFarlane carries stuff, and there is a few other suppliers out there that do new FAA PMA approved parts. I just assisted in helping repair plastic pieces. Welding the plastic back together. Sanding, repainting , can also vinyl wrap after the repair as well

Can parts like these be sourced, other than dumpster-diving from write-off parts planes?
Yes on both accounts, but possibly not for all models or serial numbers. Tends to be specific to the aircraft.

What other options are there for getting things like this repaired/replaced?
Yes. Or fabricate a new design of your choice, if needed.

While 3D printing is making inroads in the certified aviation world, any type of additive machining tends complicate the process from an approval standpoint. If its something that won't be considered "installed" then no issues.

While 3D printing is making inroads in the certified aviation world, any type of additive machining tends complicate the process from an approval standpoint. If its something that won't be considered "installed" then no issues.
It would seem to me that Part 43 maintenance under Appendix A allows the owner/pilot to do this.

"
(9) Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.

(10) Applying preservative or protective material to components where no disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is involved and where such coating is not prohibited or is not contrary to good practices.

(11) Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft.
"

Yea. I try to have quick turn around times. If doing a full interior it takes about 4-6 weeks. If just doing seats I generally say 2 weeks. I try not to keep the airplanes out of the sky. I try to keep them flying.
Mine would have been faster is the plane was in the shop doing the interior. But I combined with avionics upgrade, so since my plane wasn't taking up space, my job was not a priority.

It would seem to me that Part 43 maintenance under Appendix A allows the owner/pilot to do this.
To perform the work, 100%. You can completely refurbish an entire aircraft under your PPC except for a few specific things. But when it comes to fabricating/producing parts, ie., 3D printing, for that work your PPC falls short. Those requirements fall under Part 21.

However, just as a mechanic can fabricate parts under Part 21, so can you as an Owner Produced Part. Unfortunately, when it comes to 3D printing, or as it is referred to in the guidance, additive machining, the ability to obtain the necessary approved data to produce those parts in that manner becomes somewhat complex and expensive vs using “subtractive machining” and other conventional production methods.

Do a little reading about “Owner Produced Parts” (OPP). Start with FAR 21.9 and Advisory Circular No. 23-27.

You might find this article helpful.

Last edited:
I thought you were after a FIKI-equipped pressurized twin. :dunno:
Yeah, true...but:

A guy in town has a J35 with tip tanks for sale, and has made it available at what I believe is a stupid-low price. It needs a bunch of cosmetic work, but it looks to me like a good time-builder while I'm building ratings, and with the tip tanks it has the range I need. If I can put a deal together, it may be a good "starter plane" that I can trade up from when I find the right "forever" plane.

A guy in town has a J35 with tip tanks for sale, and has made it available at what I believe is a stupid-low price.

Before you decide he's stupid, it might be a good idea to join https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/ and do a little reading and ask some questions. There might be all sorts of hidden ways you can get bitten.

When I was plane shopping, I joined type clubs and forums for the planes I was considering. It was a great way to get smart about the planes and learn the traps to avoid. Plus, it's not unusual for type club members to have personal knowledge of planes that are on the market so you might get some great advice.

Back