Update Garmin Software - Avionics Shop or DIY?

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
I've updated my new to me GNC 355 database, but I see my software is out of date. I went to the Garmin website and created an SD card to update the software to version 3.22. Before I just go over to the airport and stick the card into the slot and power it up, I'm also aware that Garmin Dealers / Authorized shops also do this service. Might there also be other configuration settings, etc. that need to be done?

Do folks update their own software / firmware, or do you always take it to the Garmin avionics shop?

I let the avionics shop update firmware. I wasn't aware owners of Garmin products in certified airplanes are allowed to do that.

In navigation devices like that the firmware update is generally considered an alteration. Also, often these updates require completion of a new AFMS (for example software 3.1 and 3.2 have different AFMS's for the GNC 355). For over the counter products where you can download the software, it doesn't have to be a Garmin dealer who does the update, but it should be someone who can fill out the updated AFMS and make a log book entry for the update. edit: Also yes, often times there are new or updated settings that need to be configured.

My avionics shop does all of the firmware and software updates and then gives me a log book entry. They installed all of it. It has never cost any money just a little time. Couple years ago I was dropping off or picking up my buddy at the shop and Scott asks what version my G5 was. I said I don't know and he went outside and updated mine while I was there. He has done numerous updates to my panel since 2018. I rely on them to do that for me. They are local(Sportys) so it is easy for me. I am there pretty often since I am the uber at my airport when guys need a lift to or from the avionics shop.

Last edited:
Side story - I got a quote for avionics work on new plane from them because of Scott’s / Sporty’s reputation. It’s that good that I’d take the plane from Atl up to Cincinnati for the work. But the secret must be out. I asked last month when his next opening would be.

He said “Feb”

Side story - I got a quote for avionics work on new plane from them because of Scott’s / Sporty’s reputation. It’s that good that I’d take the plane from Atl up to Cincinnati for the work. But the secret must be out. I asked last month when his next opening would be.

He said “Feb”
I was there last Fri picking up my buddy who waited for 7 months for them to install 2-G275 and a GFC500 in his arrow. It's the third stage of my buddy's panel update. Scott was not there but Greg took care of my buddy and his request. We are so lucky to have them close by. Greg said they always have "4-5 plane's in near by hangars waiting to get in their shop. My buddy Greg took his over a few days early because of his work schedule. They keep it in a hangar until it goes in their hangar. 2 Greg's in the picture. lolIMG_4585.jpeg

Last edited:
I was there last Fri picking up my buddy who waited for 7 months for them to install 2-G275 and a GFC500 in his arrow.
That's what I'm trying to have installed as well (in addition to a GTN 650xi). Once they started the work, how long did they take?

That's what I'm trying to have installed as well (in addition to a GTN 650xi). Once they started the work, how long did they take?
I don't know yet on the arrow. I think the word was 2-3 weeks? Hopefully they started on it the last couple days?

My simple 172 was there 3 times and was never there for more than 10 days. 9 days for a GMA345, 650, GTX345, 2 G5 and 4 jacks for headsets. Plus other stuff to make it all work together.
Then 3 days for a 255 com/nav2 since my old radio crapped out days after I got it back.
Then the 3rd time 10 days for the GFC500 but remember the G5s were already there.
This was Aug 2018 and March 2019 for the AP.

Back