Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Can an ultralite be a helocopter?

NC19143 said:

Yes, as far as I know the main limit is weight.
Speed & fuel aren't usually an issue in choppers.
I'll try to think of the names.
Some are backpacks and have propane jet propelled tips...
Some are go-kart frames with piston engine or jetted rotor tips.

NC19143 said:

Nothing in part 103 specifies the category or class of any ultralight. I do suspect that the rule was written with only "airplanes" in mind since the cloud clearance requirements don't make any special accomodations for the "category" of ultralight aircraft vs part 91 which has different requirements for helicopters for instance.

What was the tandem two seat helicopter kit (not an ultralight) that Lancair was marketing for a while? I remember it was an import. Very cool looking. Wonder what ever happened to that?

gibbons said:
What was the tandem two seat helicopter kit (not an ultralight) that Lancair was marketing for a while? I remember it was an import. Very cool looking. Wonder what ever happened to that?

I think it was the CH-7 Kompress. But I don't know what happened to it.

Ed Guthrie said:

Hmmm... with a 12 ft rotor diameter, I could park this one in my back yard instead of the parking lot. I think I like the idea of flying this one to work better than the other one. I've not read anything from the company prohibiting landing in the parking lot.

Yep.. it's the Kompress:

From EAA
Lancair, Inc. aircraft kits include the IV/IV-P, Propjet IV/IV-P, ES/Super ES, Legacy 2000, and the Italian-designed Heli-Sport CH-7 Kompress helicopter kit.

But I don't know what the date of the article is.

Joe Williams said:
I've not read anything from the company prohibiting landing in the parking lot.

Yeah.. but don't forget those pesky city ordinances against landing off airport in the city limits. Of course, in my neck of the woods, the tickets might be cheaper than paying the monthly parking garage fees! :D

ausrere said:
Yeah.. but don't forget those pesky city ordinances against landing off airport in the city limits. Of course, in my neck of the woods, the tickets might be cheaper than paying the monthly parking garage fees! :D

No problem, just sneak out to the spot you would like to land. Do it in the middle of the night. Take spray paint so you can spray a large circle and a large H inside the circle. Instant heliport!:goofy:

ausrere said:

I don't think it's allowed to even fly ultralights over populated areas, much less land a lil' chopper.

So, have any of you flown these little things? Tell us your stories!

Joe Williams said:
Hmmm... with a 12 ft rotor diameter, I could park this one in my back yard instead of the parking lot. I think I like the idea of flying this one to work better than the other one. I've not read anything from the company prohibiting landing in the parking lot.

Some cities have ordinances prohibiting helicopters from landing within city limits.

Jeannie

Back