Tug question....again!

David Kagey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DMKagey
Need a tug for my C172. Door track just too hard to get over. I know Best Tugs seem to be the favorite, but pretty pricy. I am down to the AeroTow T1 and the MiniMax. Past posts show folks taking about one or the other, but no real reviews. Any history with either of these and would you do it again? Thanks

I’ve seen some nice ones, they are not cheap, like 3-5k, and also not portable. One day I might get one, but until then. Following.

Spend the money. And get one that can also handle a Bo or a C182. You'll have it for life.

Best Tug A3 owner here since 2019, so worth it as I fly often.
Yesterday as I was using the A3 my wife said that was one of our better buys for our aircraft as she watched and didn't have to push!
They connect so quick and easy with no bending over. I cant imagine any easier to use.

Last edited:
Redline Sidewinder. They work well and are portable.

I use one with my Mooney. A friend with a C-182 has two. One for the hangar, one in the plane.

We use the AeroTow T1 for the club skyhawk. Hard turns are a little awkward because you need to lift the tug and turn the nose wheel. It’s a little heavy for weaker people. Gentle turns are as expected and work well. Has plenty of power to push it up a slope but the tires will slip if the ground is wet. Lowering the tire pressure helped a little, but you still have to push a little to get it going before the tires hook up if the ground is wet. It’s 50/50 if I use the tug or just push by hand.

I have the MiniMax and a 182. If you don’t have wheel pants, it’s a configuration that’s pretty portable. You can put it in the plane for if you ever land somewhere that you need/want to move the plane by yourself. In the end, I chose it for exactly that benefit.

It’s well engineered and built, and reasonable cost. Company owner is a good guy (no relation). Flew to KEVV to try it before I bought it and took it home with me (got a personal lesson in how to use it, lol!).

Which best tug do you recommend? Maybe I’ll suggest it as my birthday present.
Well I have only used the A3 myself personally. So I am not a expert on aircraft tugs.
My buddy has a powertow40 that I have seen him use that he bought used last year for his Arrow. There's a reason it is so much cheaper.
He asked me the other day to put the belt back on it that came off last time he used it. Might do it tonight if I think about it, he get's home from work Friday night.
I have seen several other friends at the airport buy other cheaper tugs which makes me glad I spent the big bucks on the A3. Sometimes my other friend don't use his because it takes time on your knees to hook it up if he has help standing there.

I also used my A3 to pull a dead car out of the garage and around the driveway. All my wife had to do is chock the wheel instead helping me push.

Last edited:
I’ve seen some nice ones, they are not cheap, like 3-5k, and also not portable. One day I might get one, but until then. Following.
Not cheap, but "cheaper" options. Good luck.

I own a BestTug A3 and have used probably 6 or 8 other ones over the years. I have to say, even with their price being what they are, I haven't regretted the BestTug once. Every single other one just seems like a toy in comparison.

The best tug A3 is adequate for most smaller single engine planes (172/182/210, saratogas etc). The B5 is a better unit but its also significantly more.

I have an old electric shop cart with a ball hitch welded on the front. Made a tow bar out of black pipe and some hardware.

Spend the money. And get one that can also handle a Bo or a C182. You'll have it for life.
Good advice...but, been there, done that, with the C182 for years. I'm now 76 and gratefully still flying and the C172 is my "for life" plane. Lunch with a bunch of buddies is my norm now. No more hauling family around.

We use the AeroTow T1 for the club skyhawk. Hard turns are a little awkward because you need to lift the tug and turn the nose wheel. It’s a little heavy for weaker people. Gentle turns are as expected and work well. Has plenty of power to push it up a slope but the tires will slip if the ground is wet. Lowering the tire pressure helped a little, but you still have to push a little to get it going before the tires hook up if the ground is wet. It’s 50/50 if I use the tug or just push by hand.
Thanks on the AeroTow T1...our 16 y/o G'daughter just soloed so she will be using it by herself. I was wondering about her...she's maybe 5 ft even...hauling it around.

I have an old electric shop cart with a ball hitch welded on the front. Made a tow bar out of black pipe and some hardware.
Thought of that too. I heard they can be difficult to steer with the tow bar on the front end. Our 16 y/o G'daughter will be using it by herself so I wanted it as simple as possible. Thanks

Thought of that too. I heard they can be difficult to steer with the tow bar on the front end. Our 16 y/o G'daughter will be using it by herself so I wanted it as simple as possible. Thanks
Not at all. Just gotta know how to move it like a trailer.

I post this every time it comes up....

cart.jpg

Electric golf cart makes the ideal tug. Ice & snow are no problem with the weight of the batteries. Then you have a runabout to use at the airport. I paid $2000 for mine, which is less than most single purpose tugs.

If you want to go real cheap, lawn tractors can be had for a couple hundred bucks.

Either way, having hitches front & back is nice. Easier to push the plane backward and tow forward.

I post this every time it comes up....

View attachment 133423

Electric golf cart makes the ideal tug. Ice & snow are no problem with the weight of the batteries. Then you have a runabout to use at the airport. I paid $2000 for mine, which is less than most single purpose tugs.

If you want to go real cheap, lawn tractors can be had for a couple hundred bucks.

Either way, having hitches front & back is nice. Easier to push the plane backward and tow forward.
I heard they can be hard to steer??

I heard they can be hard to steer??
I mean, if you're 10, and/or an idiot, it might be. If you can back a trailer it'll take two or three reps to get it figured out. If you can't, it might take a few more.

Dad built an elevated platform and mounted winch anchored to the floor. Works well. Just a little slow. He uses it. I don't

I use this one. Super easy and looks cool...

I use this one. Super easy and looks cool...

Thanks. Pretty pricy for hauling a 172 30 ft.

I mean, if you're 10, and/or an idiot, it might be. If you can back a trailer it'll take two or three reps to get it figured out. If you can't, it might take a few more.
Ya know, I used to think the pilot community was beyond social media responses like this. I was looking at options and asking for advice on a site I very much respect. All levers of people ask all sorts of questions. Several people had told me that the golf cart/riding mower/tow bar could be hard to steer. Our 16 y/o G’daughter just soloed on her 16th BD and would be using it, so I thought a valid question. It would have been so easy to just say, “naw, it isn’t too bad to steer”. I see a batch of kids in your pic. Maybe add that your 10 y/o G’kid does it all the time. Why add the “and/or an idiot” to the reply? Guess the need to blast someone in a reply overrides the good old Mom advice….”if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything”.

It's a little overkill for a 172, but I'd look for a lightly used SuperTow II. With the lazy-Susan cradle on the front, it's unbelievably easy to move an airplane around. Can be found on the used market in the $2500 range.

Ya know, I used to think the pilot community was beyond social media responses like this. I was looking at options and asking for advice on a site I very much respect. All levers of people ask all sorts of questions. Several people had told me that the golf cart/riding mower/tow bar could be hard to steer. Our 16 y/o G’daughter just soloed on her 16th BD and would be using it, so I thought a valid question. It would have been so easy to just say, “naw, it isn’t too bad to steer”. I see a batch of kids in your pic. Maybe add that your 10 y/o G’kid does it all the time. Why add the “and/or an idiot” to the reply? Guess the need to blast someone in a reply overrides the good old Mom advice….”if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything”.
Because some people are in fact, too stupid to back up a trailer. Most of them are also not capable of flying an airplane, but not all. I've met a couple.

I wasn't blasting anyone. I was trying to inject some humor, as I often do. Lighten up.

To address your question directly (again), yes BACKING with a vehicle is very hard. Like backing up with a wagon that steers. If you put the hitch on the front, I'd argue that it's as easy as backing up a regular straight axle trailer. The steering on the cart is a little heavy on pavement. My kids 10 & over can do it, although I don't let them push the plane. A riding tractor would much lighter to steer. There's no weight added to the steering by the plane, so all it takes is a minimal amount of strength and brains. Like I said the first time.

This was the cheapest for me....is a hydrostat tractor.....a power tow wouldn't work. It won't do the job for me. I'm on a slope.

Attachments

• IMG_4738.png
    IMG_4738.png
    1 MB · Views: 6
It's a little overkill for a 172, but I'd look for a lightly used SuperTow II. With the lazy-Susan cradle on the front, it's unbelievably easy to move an airplane around. Can be found on the used market in the $2500 range.
Thanks. I’ve seen the lazy Susan style. They look pretty good. Thanks for the tip

Because some people are in fact, too stupid to back up a trailer. Most of them are also not capable of flying an airplane, but not all. I've met a couple.

I wasn't blasting anyone. I was trying to inject some humor, as I often do. Lighten up.

To address your question directly (again), yes BACKING with a vehicle is very hard. Like backing up with a wagon that steers. If you put the hitch on the front, I'd argue that it's as easy as backing up a regular straight axle trailer. The steering on the cart is a little heavy on pavement. My kids 10 & over can do it, although I don't let them push the plane. A riding tractor would much lighter to steer. There's no weight added to the steering by the plane, so all it takes is a minimal amount of strength and brains. Like I said the first time.
Thanks. I can back my SeaRay on a long trailer and my jet skis on a short trailer, so should be able to handle it. Will look at that option.

Thanks. Pretty pricy for hauling a 172 30 ft.
And, ironically, sounds like a cheap piece of junk when operating. IMO it's a rig that looks like it came out of a late 90's shop class having a battle bots competition and the builder thought to himself, "well, I already spent $450 on parts for this thing, I might as well mark it up tenfold and see if any pilots will buy it"

could I do it?
1726506576250.png

der, how 'bout me?
1726506588085.png

And, ironically, sounds like a cheap piece of junk when operating. IMO it's a rig that looks like it came out of a late 90's shop class having a battle bots competition and the builder thought to himself, "well, I already spent $450 on parts for this thing, I might as well mark it up tenfold and see if any pilots will buy it"
While I can't disagree with any of your points, I will say that the two guys I know who have them absolutely love them. They appear to be unparalleled for sticking planes into right spots. It's especially nice that you can stand anywhere and watch tight spots.

That said, the price is absurd.

I designed and built my own tug using a bunch of parts from the electric scooter world. Total cost was about $300. I've been using it for about 3 years now and am still happy with the performance and thrilled with the cost. It's set up for tail draggers, but building one for a nose dragger wouldn't be hard. There was a time when every male over 15 built and maintained their own stuff. What happened to those days?
Painted-Tug2.jpeg
Tug-Use.jpeg

Welding-Battery-brackets.JPG

Back