Treadmill fever

JohnR

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Grrrrrrrr
The red board has yet another thread about the treadmill. Seven pages so far, all in less than a day. If only half the posts are from people who say the plane flies, then I'm going to be very very afraid of my fellow aviators the next time I'm up puttering around. :hairraise:

The red board has yet another thread about the treadmill. Seven pages so far, all in less than a day. If only half the posts are from people who say the plane flies, then I'm going to be very very afraid of my fellow aviators the next time I'm up puttering around. :hairraise:
Whenever I see a treadmill thread I just ignore it.

exept this one...:p

There's even a thread speculating that the treadmill thread will hit 300 posts. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Red board? What's that? :rolleyes:

Solution: Let students practice stalls only on the treadmill.

I think I managed to forget that place for a week, then like a moth to a flame . . .
Why go over there when there's enough liberals on this board for entertainment?

Besides, I'd miss William. :D

I made the mistake of posting in there. Still don't know why. I think I'll avoid anything related to a treadmill thread. Including this one. In fact I refuse to post in this thread. This post is a figment of your imagination.

It started out as a post about Mythbusters, so I was waiting for it to evolve into a discussion about Kari Byron before jumping in. But alas it didn't.:(

Last edited:
I had never heard of the "airplane on a treadmill" before. A quick google search proves me ignorant of an obviously IMPORTANT subject.

Given no mechanical failures due to the extreme stresses this theoretical infinite speed treadmill (it's going to have to go awfully fast to *try* to keep the plane back in any case) is going to impose on the axles-out of said airplane, how can it NOT fly? I haven't even been through a ground school but understand that the prop is pulling the airframe through the air, not the tires along the ground. The ground going by is incidental to our flight.

What a bizarre thing for people to argue about.

Has anyone ever polled a group of pilots about this question? I'm curious as to how many "aviators" believe the plane will stay in one spot.

Has anyone ever polled a group of pilots about this question? I'm curious as to how many "aviators" believe the plane will stay in one spot.
I don't believe it. I grew up in Missouri so...

:)

Back