To go with tinted windows or not…

dachar89

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dachar89
I’ve got a 1969 PA30C (3 side windows on each side) and my window glass is desperately in need of replacement. My windows leak, the windshield is crazed and scratched in several spots.

I’m looking over my options and my mechanic really likes the UV gray window tint option. I’m not completely sold as it’s more expensive and will distort any pictures I take out of the side windows in flight.

Anyone have experience with the UV gray tint option? Pros/cons? Does it help keep the heat down in the cabin in the summer?

My plane is hangar kept, so no real concern about UV rays while sitting outside. If I leave the plane outside overnight it gets a cabin cover put on.

I have extra dark on the rear windows, pilot windows are normal gray tint. I just like how it looks.

6f625c44b909e994f3a6d39d4d174036.jpg

I use shades (available at Walmart) when I want to block the sunlight:

75e95c2ece36bb355cc007e5115aa08b.jpg

When I replaced my windscreen, I went with no-tint to facilitate photography. I want to see true colors and natural lighting. My plane is also hangared, and I use a plane cover and I wear sunglasses when needed.

I love the suction cup on the shades above. Gonna steal that idea.

I installed Great Lakes Aero gray windows. It would have been a huge mistake to use clear, especially in AZ.

Back