Time for my IA, questions.

n20junkie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Farmer
ok, so I've been an A&P for 4 years + now, but have 10 years experiance working on aircraft (helicopters, army type) and own a cessna. I really would like to get my IA, and have been studying for it. My questions are:

How difficult was it to prove to the FAA that your worthy for your IA?

How difficuly did you find the IA exam?

Thats all for now, thanks.

It was 1982 when I took my IA test and a lot has changed. Many of the mechanics that work in my shop have taken the test and past the first time. We all used a study guide or a cram course from federal exams in OKC. I don't think the proof of experience will be a problem. When I originaly applied they took the information I gave them without question. Everyone feels the test was pretty easy after taking the class. If you have kids at home the home study is tough. I was lucky when I took mine, no kids and my wife was in classes at Johns Hopkins at the time.

Just buckle down and hit the books hard.

Best of luck, Kevin

Grant,
Just fill out a Form 8610-1 and that's it. If you need a copy, I can email you one in .pdf format. Just fill in your experience showing that you are "active for 3 years in aviation", that's it.
Not sure where you are, but if you're like me and find studying hard because you have a million different other things to do. Consider going to Baker School of Aeronautics in Nashville, TN. They have a 1 week IA course that is fantastic and thats how I did the test prep. And you will take the test on the last day. Just take a vacation, immerse yourself in it, and take your test. They have good cheap motel access as well. Very nice people, and they know how to get you ready. http://www.bakerssch.com/ai.htm
The IA is 1 written test, nothing like the 3 for the A&P then an oral & practical. It's not hard at all.
CJ

Keep in mind that holding on to your IA is harder than just an A&P. You have to do so many annuals each year. If you are just a part time A&P it may be something to look at.

Dan

Or just go to your local FSDO's IA renewal seminar if you're not doing the minimums. "Continued education" will take care of you're yearly requirement as well. I almost never go, always have way more than the minimum. But they are usually good places to learn about new products.

I have provided the Part 65 rule, which explain the legal language.

FAR 65.91 Inspection Authorization.
(a) An application for an inspection authorization is made on a form and in a manner prescribed by the Administrator.
(b) An applicant who meets the requirements of this section is entitled to an inspection authorization.
(c) To be eligible for an inspection authorization, an applicant must—

(1) Hold a currently effective mechanic certificate with both an airframe rating and a powerplant rating, each of which is currently effective and has been in effect for a total of at least 3 years;
(2) Have been actively engaged, for at least the 2-year period before the date he applies, in maintaining aircraft certificated and maintained in accordance with this chapter;
(3) Have a fixed base of operations at which he may be located in person or by telephone during a normal working week but it need not be the place where he will exercise his inspection authority;
(4) Have available to him the equipment, facilities, and inspection data necessary to properly inspect airframes, powerplants, propellers, or any related part or appliance; and
(5) Pass a written test on his ability to inspect according to safety standards for returning aircraft to service after major repairs and major alterations and annual and progressive inspections performed under part 43 of this chapter.

The bottom line is if you hold a A&P for three years and been active for 2-years and have the tools and equipement and a fix location you can be authorized. Your fixed base could be a hanger, repair station, or home garage where you keep your tools.

If you have the above you can download a FAA form 8610-1 fill it out and make an appointment at the local FSDO to interview with a FAA Maintenance Inspector. What the inspector will check the FAA data base and make sure you hold an A&P. Insure you have a telephone number where you can be reached during normal business hours and sign you off in most cases.

Remember the FAA can ask to see your fixed base of operation and check your tools and equipment before signing the application form 8610-1. Something to keep in mind the application is only good for 30-day from the date signed by the FAA Inspector until it expires. This form is not like the 8610-2 for the A&P.

I would suggest you go on line to Bakers School of Aeronautics and purchase their IA study course for less than a $100 bucks and study it before making an appointment with the FAA.

The test is 3-hours long and open book. Also the testing center will provide all the materials to take the test such as AC43.13-1B and 2A, several ADs, T/C’s and other material need to look up the correct answer for the test questions.

The Baker’s books have all the above material in their study material. If you study Bakers books you will pass the test. The IA test is the only test the FAA does not publish list the others.

Here where I live I am the POC for the annual maintenance seminar for mechanics and IA’s. Avoid the lines! Register On-Line at http://aviall.x-connect.net/bayarea-ia/

Back