This happen to anyone else?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
I swear when I get into the cockpit and belt in some days my IQ drops about 50 points.

Starting some cross country... getting close to our destination airport and CFI says to get the weather. So I look at my map, read off the ASOS, tune it into standby on com2, hit com2 on the audio panel... listen to the whole weather report. Not until the point where the station announced the airport we departed from did I figure out I never swapped it to the active frequency. CFI never said anything either... I bet he knew the whole time... the voices are totally different.

Or the other day when I couldn't keep a simple frequency given by ATC in my head long enough to dial it in on the radio....

Or the habitual forgetting to throw in the next notch of flap on the base leg turn...

and so on. Stupid airhead crap that sitting here in my comfy computer chair I'd probably never mess up. Granted, it's little stuff that doesn't hurt anything except pride but... :mad2: Does that go away in time... when flying the airplane is less of a mental load and more automatic?

Simple answer: Yes. Keep on plugging. It will all fall into place.

No, your IQ is not dropping unless you are becoming hypoxic, my guess its just what I like to refer to as brain farts and multitasking overload. Someone, posted recently on the thread about what to put into your log book about a professional pilot who would log what went wrong in a flight, he never had a perfect flight. I think most of us(and surely me) are looking for that first perfect flight... I would even be happy if I could get my the number of my mistakes into the single digits...thankfully the mistakes are of the papercut variety, painful but harmless, or passing gas in a crowded elevator, embarrassing but harmless.

Will you get better? Probably, at least to some degree. Almost everybody does.

Will you make it into the top half of the class? Less certain, depending on the steps you take to make it happen.

Why does it happen? A high percentage of bone-head plays stem from the pilot's failure to implement check-list use into his/her normal routines. The FAR's clearly require it, but most pilots resist it.

Many other unforced errors are due to the failure to plan ahead and, as Laura said in another thread, do and say things in a way that set up the next task. For example saying aloud "Flaps two, final flaps to go" provides the brain/hand link that somehow improves performance in getting them extended on a timely basis.

For example, I learned from a savvy old pro to plan X/C trips in reverse, since I'll normally know more about where I am and what's necessary to depart than I do about the destination airport, freqs, runway and taxiway layout. Accordingly, it's easy to dial the ATIS when I'm done with the departure freq, if I think that's the next time that comm will be in play.

Your CFI can help by making notes along the way so that you have his "real-time" comments for discussion later. You can also note all the oopsies that you observe and ask for advice and techniques he may hav up his sleeve.

My entry in the thread about what to put in a logbook. Some things I didn't put in in the first 1,000 hours as a PPL:

Tried to take off with nose wheel chocks in place
Took off with only left mag selected
Took off and flew to next fuel stop with carb heat on -- in 93 degree weather
Grandson asked why the hinged door for checking oil on the cowling was open
Tried to taxi with right wing tied down
Landed with tail wind
Landed on a runway with yellow Xs at each end (followed Ag plane in)
Wondered what the thumping was (seat belt outside door)
Leaned too aggressively at altitude and engine died
Announced every leg of landing on the wrong frequency
Landed with left pattern in right pattern airport

But I cannot recall a single time in which I made the same mistake twice.

Returning home from my long solo cross country, I actually raised the flaps all the way during the flare. The flap switch in my 172 rental is the kind where you have to hold it down incrementally (it doesn't have preset notches). Bottom line is, we all have done stupid stuff at one point or another. Live and learn.

Yes. It's because your processor is totally saturated with tasks. Soon enough, flying will become an activity that leaves more of your processor available for other tasks....

My entry in the thread about what to put in a logbook. Some things I didn't put in in the first 1,000 hours as a PPL:

Landed with tail wind

I can add to that list;

• Announced my departure on the AWOS Freq and wondered why all the other jerks were not talking on the CTAF

• Flew in circles to prevent entering a class C because I couldn't figure out how to change the FREQ on the 430

• Noticed more of a breeze in the cabin than I was used to only to realize I hadn't latched the top latch on the ARROW

I swear when I get into the cockpit and belt in some days my IQ drops about 50 points.

Starting some cross country... getting close to our destination airport and CFI says to get the weather. So I look at my map, read off the ASOS, tune it into standby on com2, hit com2 on the audio panel... listen to the whole weather report. Not until the point where the station announced the airport we departed from did I figure out I never swapped it to the active frequency. CFI never said anything either... I bet he knew the whole time... the voices are totally different.

Or the other day when I couldn't keep a simple frequency given by ATC in my head long enough to dial it in on the radio....

Or the habitual forgetting to throw in the next notch of flap on the base leg turn...

and so on. Stupid airhead crap that sitting here in my comfy computer chair I'd probably never mess up. Granted, it's little stuff that doesn't hurt anything except pride but... :mad2: Does that go away in time... when flying the airplane is less of a mental load and more automatic?

On the ground, I dial stuff in then readback what the radios say, especially transponder SQ.

My second solo XC, hadn't flown in a month:
Turned the squelch so low I couldn't hear ATC but they could hear me. After calling Approach and Tower twice I figured it out... but I was already in the next ARTCC by then.

Accidentally made up the word "confirmative" and used it when speaking to approach.

Flew a full pattern on the wrong CTAF frequency while the Gulfstream on the ground pondered what I was doing (legal but stupid)--finally figured it out as I pulled off the active.

But: you'll find yourself getting better every time. I still make plenty of stupid paper cut mistakes as a fledgling pilot, but I always learn from them, and they happen on a much less frequent basis now (still more frequently than most pilots probably, but hey--it's progress)

Landed with tail wind
Yeah, done that. Once.
Yeah, done that. Once.
Flew in circles to prevent entering a class C because I couldn't figure out how to change the FREQ on the 430
How about this: Realized about 10 seconds before entering Class C that I was not over the top of it like I'd planned for (lower ceilings than planned) and the Garmin didn't warn me of it several minutes out like it usually does. I got so rattled I did a right 90 and flew around it rather than calling Approach. Stupid.

Will you get better? Probably, at least to some degree. Almost everybody does.

Will you make it into the top half of the class? Less certain, depending on the steps you take to make it happen.

Why does it happen? A high percentage of bone-head plays stem from the pilot's failure to implement check-list use into his/her normal routines. The FAR's clearly require it, but most pilots resist it.

Many other unforced errors are due to the failure to plan ahead and, as Laura said in another thread, do and say things in a way that set up the next task. For example saying aloud "Flaps two, final flaps to go" provides the brain/hand link that somehow improves performance in getting them extended on a timely basis.

For example, I learned from a savvy old pro to plan X/C trips in reverse, since I'll normally know more about where I am and what's necessary to depart than I do about the destination airport, freqs, runway and taxiway layout. Accordingly, it's easy to dial the ATIS when I'm done with the departure freq, if I think that's the next time that comm will be in play.

Your CFI can help by making notes along the way so that you have his "real-time" comments for discussion later. You can also note all the oopsies that you observe and ask for advice and techniques he may hav up his sleeve.

Some excellent points here. I am pretty fastidious about GUMPS checks....but have said "Gas" almost absent-mindedly, then proceeded inbound on the tip tank I was trying to milk dry instead of switching to the half-full main. Having the engine die on short final was a wake-up call to THINK about the checklist, not just recite it.

Wayne's tip on studying up on the destination and alternatives for your XC trips is a good one. And one I try to practice.

In the preflight planning, I'm writing down notes about frequencies, runways, pattern altitudes and more. All this goes on my knee board. Often on the airport data sheets that you can printout from APOA (example of one for my home airport: http://www.aopa.org/airports/KDTO/kneeboard.pdf).

Yes, much of this is in the iPad apps of choice, but often when I need the info, I need it now and it's not convenient to take my focus into the cockpit and work the iPad task when a quick glance at my knee board and crib notes would provide the info.

Another tip I picked up way back when was to get ahead of known frequency changes as soon as possible. At KDTO, we switch to tower once we're done with the run up and approach the hold short line. So after I flip from ground to tower, I'm tuning in regional departure (118.10) into the standby slot if I'm departing with flight following.

Use of checklists is a habit that I need to reinforce. I know my flows pretty good, but Wayne is spot on that the written checklist should be pulled out and looked at after you do your flow to verify you didn't skip something.

A key takeaway is to learn what you need to do to stay ahead of the airplane. If that means writing crib notes on key elements before, do that. If it's developing a good habit about radio frequencies (including writing down assigned changes on the notepad before tuning), do that.

And use of written checklists? Definitely do that!

That brings up a good point. I have never been a fan of switching tanks in the pattern. Even when switching at altitude I like to have an airport within gliding distance if at all possible. Many time for me gas simply means to visually check the gauges and check the calculated fuel remaining. I seldom switch the tanks near or in the pattern?

Gosh, thought I was the only one! I have about 120 hours now and transitioned to a complex Cirrus. I'm really good about studying before a flight and writing everything down. Yesterday, I was late taking off due to re-route. It was 100 degrees on the tarmac. I forgot to write down pattern altitude for William J. Fox. Had to do 360's while I waited to call tower and enter pattern. When I make a mistake like this, I'm not quite myself the rest of the flight.

Later in the flight, I switched frequencies when ATC said "resume own navigation". Somehow I was thinking radar services were terminated. Realizing my mistake, I switched back and apologized.

Will I make these mistakes again? No. I don't think so. But I will make others and I'll learn from them too.

No matter what anyone says, flying a complex plane in complex airspace is, well...complex. There's a great book that explains how the brain works called, Your Brain at Work (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Brain-Wo...1373881250&sr=8-1&keywords=your+brain+at+work). It should be required reading for all pilots. This book provides the clinical explanation for our mistakes, based on lots of research.

Thanks again, posters. This site really helps me!

wondered why all the other jerks were not talking on the CTAF.

Yup, it's a sure sign for you to triple check your frequency...

reminds me of the story of the elderly lady who calls her husband and warns him to be careful on the freeway because there's some fool driving the wrong way. He replies there isn't just one, there's hundreds of them!

Yes, same things happen to me.

Last week I called the tower for taxi clearance, instead of ground.

Yesterday I forgot to set the altimiter. Also had the mixture ground leaned, read full rich for the pre-takeoff checklist, but didn't push it in. Instructor caught it.

I make fewer mistakes the more time I get, but yeah, I feel like I turn dumb once that door closes LOL.

The Army has a saying. "In the heat of battle, your brains melt and pour out of your ears."

The meaning of this is that we must train, train, train so that our muscle memory does most of the work leaving only 1% of the chores to be decided on under pressure.

So one way we do this is by check lists: preflight check list, prestart, clime and cruise checklists; approach checklists and landing checklists. Still we all memorize bcgumps or gumps for landing check list as if you cannot find the written one you still need to do a pretty good job of landing.

Another way we accomplish this is by train, train, train until every action becomes second nature.

The mistakes you describe come from worry and being over excited. There are two opposites ways to handle this. One is to simply fly and slow yourself down give yourself time to develop the muscle memory and then ratchet it back up later. Another way is to go full steam ahead pushing yourself under pressure until it all starts to gel and crystallize. Either way your mind will adjust.

The military tends to push forward as constant stress also simulates crisis modes and gives you a level of comfort working in a crisis situation where you will ultimately operate much of the time.

I am not sure this is best for a private, commercial or recreational pilot.

An airplane with advanced avionics or multiple radios and audio panels are more complex than a single comm plane. you can always ignore the rest and use a single comm until you are comfortable. Each additional flight add another piece of avionics to the mix until you are completely comfortable with the whole panel.

Always fly the plane. Take your time getting the frequency or dialing in the frequency but fly the plane. This hurry comes from the fact you feel you are not flying the plane well so you have to hurry back to that. If you never leave the safety of 'flying the plane' you will feel much less rush to get back to it. Take all the time you need, if you are approaching air space to quickly without information, you can always do a 4 minute 360 circle. 4 minutes is a heck of a lot of time.

Level of stress-Some instructors might prefer to always push you so you always feel a bit uneasy on the same lines as military training or because it makes for shorter training period to check ride. I do not know for sure. I prefer to take things easy but continue training beyond the minimums.

I personally believe you should keep things as calm and as cool as possible during training and once you got the basics then introduce some emergencies to give you experience with how to handle those situations.

Your second situation: A short pencil is better than a long memory. I was in the bad habit of tuning in the frequency when called by atc. I went on a long cross country and had ABQ FS switch frequencies to PHX approach and I was not real sure where I was, before GPS, and I lost contact. I felt lost. Flying in the arid mountains/dessert is scary enough without loosing contact with FS. I went through 30 minutes of hell before I could reach Phx or ABQ FS again. From that point on, all frequencies and directions get written in a pocket pad with a pencil and I have three backup pencils and pens in the plane. I will write on my hand, arm, sleeve anything before doing that again. Also it is always nice to be able to go back to the last frequency you were on when there is no contact at the new frequency which happens alot.

With regard to forgetting flaps....in my planes there are 3 levels of flaps along with 3 flight situations: down wind crossing the numbers 1st notch of flaps and 85-90 mph; 2n landing situation is 2nd notch of flaps and 80 mph on base, 3rd notch of flaps and 75 mph normal final approach speed. So if you link the notches with the speeds and stage of landing this helps to build that muscle memory. Your numbers may be different but the 3 stages are the same.

I am a corporate trainer but not a CFI. I only have about 1200 hrs flight time so take that with a grain of salt.

I will also tell you that if your CFI seems to be pushing you a bit more than you are comfortable with you can easily handle this by spending time sitting in the airplane on the ground and just letting your self become familiar with everything. I would run through each six pak element, each radio, and touch them as I said what they were and put them into my long term memory. You can also do this home in bed, do remote visioning where you push your mind through each step. You will be surprised when you catch yourself making a mistake and this builds confidence. Flight simulator games help with familiarity of the basic trainers and even more complex avionics.

I get bored with Microsoft simulator so I just practice the start up procedures and the cruise to approach and lading procedures as those are the critical elements of flight for me. If you are using flight sim games for familiarization with the aircraft, flight instruments, avionics then that is very useful even if doing it without a flight instructor by your side. Many flight instructors do not want you to try and teach yourself to fly but that is not really what I am recommending. I am only recommending familiarization with the cockpit and repeat practice with what you are already taught.

Yeap done much of that and a few others.

Landed with tail wind

Don't worry about the "1" in the frequency (first digit), makes remembering a little easier.

I sure can identify with the brain cramp thing also.

I am following the SFO wreck story with interest, Air Transport pilots aren't immune to those cramps either, although the final story on the SFO wreck has yet to be told.

This is something we all live with every time we strap on a plane.
Last week I listened to the ATIS for what seemed like forever before I could finally hear "you have information uniform"

Took off with carb heat on
Took off with yellow notification on G1000 telling me door wasn't latched
Argued with controller that making right traffic took me over the field (chart was upside down)
Called tower instead of approach going back to Addison

Know what I've learned? Most of these "brain farts" happened on either the final leg home or one of a few legs heading back home. The brain just seems to relax and go into coast mode when "the day is done" and you're heading back to the ranch. I am much more attentive these days and make a mental note to be extra attentive on such legs.

Hang in there. Happens to us all!

I called a Pilatus a Placenta. How am I supposed to know every aircraft type when starting out? ;)

I kind of feel that things are starting to get somewhat automatic now and I'm approaching 130 hours with virtually all of it in a 172. That being said, I never approach any trip as routine and I never want to stop learning.

One thing to try on the next trip is to "get ahead of the plane." Plug in the frequency for the ATIS/ASOS long before your arrival- during the less work demanding stages of the cruise. Always be thinking about what you should be doing next, and not be thinking about what I should be doing right now. I've read, and be told by CFI's that pilots make mistakes when they get fixated on one task and therefore don't keep in mind the entire picture of what's next in the flight. I've also been told and read that when a pilot falls behind the airplane he or she is most prone to errors. I'm not suggesting this is happening with you but get ahead of that plane and things may improve.

Back