Thinking of Alaskan seasonal flying job

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Never thought I’d pose this question, but here I am…

We went on a cruise to see various sites in AK. Saw a lot of cool stuff of course, and weather was unseasonably beautiful for early September. My wife and I talked with a number of people who live there during the tourist season.

In Ketchikan, I stopped by a random seaplane base just to “bum around” like I did/do at my home field. Talked with a young guy at the dock who was working there and getting his PPL, then CPL, and ASES. I also chatted with a female pilot who was working the office.

I got to thinking, and as I always do, asked my wife “wanna move here”? The joke after 30 or so years is that I ask her everytime and everywhere we vacation. The answer is always “umm, nope”. We are at a point in our lives and the universe was aligned such that she said “I dunno, maybe”?

So I thought I could work at a seaplane operation, cleaning planes, working the office, maybe even flying. Learned that some places have housing included as well.

I’m a tad over 500 hours, need to wrap up my CPL, and thought about getting my ASES. Retired in June.

I know a number of you on here have experience with flying jobs in AK. Any advice about jobs and lifestyle (people seemed very friendly)?

Crazy?

Alaska is expensive, it is primitive, but it is an adventure. I have visited in July for several weeks. Flying wise, learn the ropes and don’t push your limits, aka I’d probably only do day VFR. I enjoyed flying in Alaska in my own airplane, but I learned that I don’t know a lot.

But I do think it is a venture to give it a try. Go for it.

There are 2 types of females in Alaska: those who hate it and those who love it. The parts of Alaska most females like are the touristy (expensive) places that you can drive to. And of course Anchorage, which is like living in any big city. It seemed to me the further away from Anchorage I went the more helpful and friendly the folks are.

To me there are 2 parts of Alaska. Tourist Alaska and real Alaska. If you can drive there on a paved road, you are in tourist Alaska. If you can only get there by boat, airplane or snow machine, and white people are the vast minority, you are in real Alaska.

I lived around Eskimo folks in Alaska and Navajo folks in New Mexico long enough where I feel more comfortable around natives and uncomfortable around white folks.

As far as the flying part, forget PT 91 flying. You will be around folks that have been flying in Alaska for years and they don't mess around. Good VFR can be 2 miles vis and 500 agl ceiling. We used to joke that if the weather is good we go VFR. If the weather is bad we go IFR. If the weather is really bad we go PVFR. That is we pretend it is VFR and go anyway...and there is a little truth there... :lol:

Personally I learned more about flying the first summer I was there than anything I had done before.

Alaska flying is absolutely in my future when I get back from OCONUS. Want to use some of that GI Bill monies to get my floatplane ratings, but will have to settle for something on wheels to get in the door up there.

The seasonal ramp jobs are sometimes at cooljobs.com

Last I heard harbor air liked 2000 hours with 500 float for an interview.

So I thought I could work at a seaplane operation, cleaning planes, working the office, maybe even flying. Learned that some places have housing included as well.

I’m a tad over 500 hours, need to wrap up my CPL, and thought about getting my ASES. Retired in June.

I know a number of you on here have experience with flying jobs in AK. Any advice about jobs and lifestyle (people seemed very friendly)?

Crazy?

10 year Alaska seasonal pilot here. Never wanted to stay through the winter and had a winter flying gig in the L48.

To fly floats, you'll generally need a fair amount of time on floats, likely 500 hours. My last employer would sometimes hire low time pilots for VFR only on wheels and if they like you and your work ethic, you could go to floats with less than 500 hrs. Occasionally just a wet ASES rating. But without a bunch of float time, expect to start on wheels. Experience with round engines (DeHaviland Beavers) sends you to the head of the line and you can bypass the wheels. I started on a VFR only Cessna 207. Billy's description of PVFR is fairly accurate, but it doesn't happen much anymore after a few high profile crashes.

Float flying is hard work. You'll often run up to a 14 hour duty day. Loading and unloading a plane on water isn't easy. you'll load fish, dead moose, dead bear, and smelly hunters and fisherman who just spent a week out camping. It's not unusual to get stuck somewhere if the weather moves in. Happens on wheels too.

All that said, if you can make it work, you won't regret it. I fly medevac now, but flying in Alaska has been some of the best and most rewarding flying I've ever done or will do. I may yet go back. Dealing with the weather will really test and build your skills as a pilot.

20190521_161508 (1).jpg20170911_165931.jpg20170814_191206.jpg20170911_165258.jpg

I have a friend who is retired from Delta who just spent his first summer flying up there. Looks amazing.

I came to Alaska almost three years ago to fly at a Part 135 operation. I left a very urban job at a big airplane company to do it. Like the OP I was surprised to get the support of my significant other when I expected "oh hell no".
Our operation is in rural SW Alaska. It's not at all what you saw in Anchorage. As stated above "non-tourist" although there are some who come to hunt or fish.
We work very long days with no days off, but we work 2 weeks on, 2 off. Then I travel back to the lower 48 and do what ever I want. I almost never know what day it the week it is anymore, nor do I care.
She has visited but she does not come with me.
1000001231-01.jpeg
And I get paid.

Float flying is hard work. You'll often run up to a 14 hour duty day. Loading and unloading a plane on water isn't easy. you'll load fish, dead moose, dead bear, and smelly hunters and fisherman who just spent a week out camping. It's not unusual to get stuck somewhere if the weather moves in. Happens on wheels too.
Yes, it does happen on wheels also. You forgot dead seals, dead bodies, Gatorade, pizza rolls, canned goods, rotten produce, soda pop, tires, Amazon & Walmart boxes, mail, satellite dishes, appliances food packages.

But you also transport the native population, which is the only reason any of us have a job. If you lose sight of that you miss the point entirely.

You also transport people who support their infrastructure. Teachers, nurses, school administrators, utility workers, FAA, law enforcement and CPS workers.

Be prepared to reset your views about what is important in life.

One thing I forgot. Anyone that goes to real Alaska will need to become accustomed to Eskimo life. These folks have been living like they have for over 10,000 years. They will not change just because some outsider thinks they should. One needs to learn the Eskimo lifestyle and accept it. There will be a little culture shock, but once one becomes accustomed to and embraces the Eskimo lifestyle, the easier it is to get along. The Eskimo will have to learn to trust a newbie, or gussuck. (derogatory term for white person) But once accepted (it does not come easily) it is a great feeling, almost an honor. But you won't know when you are ''in''. It just happens. It is a great feeling to have a little old Eskimo lady come up and say, ''We are glad you are the pilot''.

The work is hard, loading, unloading, fueling the plane. You will be unappreciated by the company, the locals will not really appreciate you until one day they will. And that might take a few years. I once worked almost 90 days in a row without a day off. (I know) The FAA will certainly not appreciate you. I flew for one company where the Eskimo knew that if they call and complain that you scared them while in the air, they will get reimbursed for that flight and you will be fired.

Seasonal work is a little different. The passengers are mostly tourist and are looking for the ''bush life''. They are there for a good time, so it doesn't really hurt to take other pilots living experience stories and work them into your own...

How do I feel about my time in Alaska.?? If I was 10 years younger I would go back and do it all over.

Back