The cost of water

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Out of sheer curiosity why is it that float planes are so much more expensive than the base aircraft? Skyhawks on floats soar into the 100k range when on wheels they wouldn't come close. Any reasonable float plane (with the exception of the Lake) is an ultralight or experimental. The experimentals don't appear normal with 2 floats either. I was just curious to why all of that is.

You are buying an airplane plus you are buying floats. Neither are inexpensive. Adding floats also often involves modifications to the base aircraft (strakes, reinforcements for the float mounting) which also adds to the cost.

Out of sheer curiosity why is it that float planes are so much more expensive than the base aircraft? Skyhawks on floats soar into the 100k range when on wheels they wouldn't come close. Any reasonable float plane (with the exception of the Lake) is an ultralight or experimental. The experimentals don't appear normal with 2 floats either. I was just curious to why all of that is.

Sea plane kits built into the aircraft, plus the typical float set and rigging is over 80k new.

the cheapest set of Aeroset floats I could find last year was 60k. and we still didn't have the rigging.

Move up here. They are so common, market prices are forced down. At least for straight floats...amphibs are altogether different.

And the Lake isn't a float plane ;)

Like a used twin on today's market the purchase price for a LA4-200 seems reasonable but it is just the price of admission.

Are there any homebuilt amphibious floats?

This would seem like a ripe market.

Fresh water float plane flying would be a blast.....

Salt water float plane flying would be a slow, painful suicide. IMHO.

Ben.

Fresh water float plane flying would be a blast.....

Salt water float plane flying would be a slow, painful suicide. IMHO.

Ben.

I've looked into it. The key to longevity seems to be as brief an exposure to salt water as possible, and a very thorough rinsing with fresh water at the end of every day.

I've looked into it. The key to longevity seems to be as brief an exposure to salt water as possible, and a very thorough rinsing with fresh water at the end of every day.

Just like humans on the island? ;)

Sea plane operators in South east Alaska and coastal British Columbia operate in salt every day, they are lucky to get a wash once a month.

been doing it for years.

That was a gear down landing that quickly turned into a gear up landing. ;)

Just like humans on the island? ;)

As long as you stay in the water, salt water is fine. It's only when you get out that the water evaporates, leaving a layer of itchy salt.

Which is why there are several free fresh-water showers on the 24-mile beach.

Talked to a guy who was flying a SWEET amphib beaver in the San Juan islands.. Said his boss budgets 35K/year for MX and said corrosion was like changing oil :hairraise:

Talked to a guy who was flying a SWEET amphib beaver in the San Juan islands.. Said his boss budgets 35K/year for MX and said corrosion was like changing oil :hairraise:

That's why it is sweet

Back