Texas Skyways Conversion 0-520 CHT running hot

Gregg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gregg
have an Texas Skyways O-520 that runs hot on cylinder head temps. Out of ideas on how to run cooler. Any advice
Gregg

Run with cowl flaps wide open

have an Texas Skyways O-520 that runs hot on cylinder head temps. Out of ideas on how to run cooler. Any advice

It's almost always baffling.

What airplane?

My Bonanza has the D'Shannon STC'd engine baffles and they make a world of difference.

1979Q C-182
no baffling except on aft underside of cowl
maybe I will look at that more closely

The DShannon baffles sell for Cessnas also?

The DShannon baffles sell for Cessnas also?
No, I thing D'Shannon is pretty much for Beech (Bonanza and Baron)
But you (or someone good with baffles) needs to look at yours. That is the place to start.

Looked at website only sell for Bonanza

if it's a recent conversion you could call them. baffling is reasonable. my 1972 with the texas skyways had a baffle get loose and a replacement fixed it up.

I called them they weren't much help they referred me to a company called air forms

Post some pics of your baffles it may help us to see more of where your problem lies.

Air Forms is here in Alaska. It used to be Airframes but they sold the Cub airframe part of the business and now make Cessna baffle sets. I take it this is a 182? Who's CHT instrument? Do you have a fuel flow instrument? Typical fuel flows should be up into the 22-23-24gph range at take-off power. In cruise some planes can lean more than others. My engine is happiest near 16gph at 24/2400. I fought high CHTs until I improved the full power fuel flow. Now I stay at 370-380 in 70* weather. Do seal up any gaps in baffles but with that done look at fuel flow. That's a common problem for 0-520s.

I replaced the rubber baffles on the underside of the top cowling with new orange baffles and also I ordered new camlock's I think the upper cowling is not being secured down to the firewall and letting air escape and not going down through the cow flaps

If air is getting out under your top cowl your baffles aren't doing their job. The rubber seals should be tall enough that you have to lean them to get the cowl on. They should lean in toward center so they hold pressure. If you lean them away from center they won't hold pressure.

Last edited:
I also called Texas Skyways and asked him which is the hottest cylinder and they said referred of the Cessna manual which is number three cylinder lower pick up

Back