Testing fuel from fuel strainer

JRitt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JRitt
In this months issue (June) of Flight Trainer there is an article (pg. 65)on testing fuel on the AC. I have a C172N that has a fuel drain on each wing that I test before the first flight of the day and after refueling. It also has a fuel strainer that I pull the handle inside the oil filler door to drain approx 10oz (4-5sec) of fuel out of. The author recomends checking the fuel drained from the strainer. How can I collect a fuel sample from the strainer and pull the handle at the same time (you would need an 8ft reach to hold a gats jar to collect the sample)

JRitt said:
(you would need an 8ft reach to hold a gats jar to collect the sample)
8ft monkey arms? Maybe if you're sitting on the ground while trying to pull the handle.

A 10 year old can do it. Put the drain line in the fuel cup and hold it there with your left hand. Hug the side of the plane. Put your right hand in the oil door, pull handle. After a few times you'll know how long to pull the handle without soaking your hand.

JRitt said:
How can I collect a fuel sample from the strainer and pull the handle at the same time (you would need an 8ft reach to hold a gats jar to collect the sample)

I can do it! :D Barring other suggestions, if you have a clean floor, water will bead on top of the fuel on the floor that you drain. No water, no contamination, at least from water. Trash is another issue. If you have a smooth clean floor to begin with, I suppose you could look carefully at the puddle and see, but if there is no trash in the wings, I don't see how there can be trash at the firewall sump.

On a 172N which has the oil door on top of the cowling, it is a longer reach to the drain, I can reach it but I'm long.
My instructor usually would put the narrow (screwdriver type) tester around the drain and then manage to get a sample. It will hold itself on, even full of fuel. It helps if the cross thing with the point to push in the sump drain is attached.

There is usually a good amount of water in that particular drain, and I never notice that water when I let it bleed onto the tarmac. (I think that on a 172 fuel system the gascolator is actually the lowest part of the system, and according to sumpthis.com the wing drains actually aren't the lowest point in the wings.)

Last edited:
Mike Schneider said:
I would see where the stream usually hits the ground at your tie down or hangar and place a wide mouth jar there. If the wind is blowing, it isn't going to work. -- Mike

I'd figure a way to hang a jar from the drain if possible. BTW, dumping that fuel on the ground is against the law in many states.

lancefisher said:
I'd figure a way to hang a jar from the drain if possible. BTW, dumping that fuel on the ground is against the law in many states.
I would believe that would be in ALL states, the EPA would be on your case bigtime if they were aware of your transgressions.

lancefisher said:
BTW, dumping that fuel on the ground is against the law in many states.

As KD noted, dumping fuel on the ground is a violation of federal law in every state, and has been for nearly 35 years (Clean Water Act, signed 1972). Some states are more zealous in their enforcement than others (Flordia comes to mind).

I bought a 2 quart plastic measuring cup at a dollar store. I can get it to the drain sump outlet, which in my case is in the middle of the cabin under the wing spar, by using the tow bar.

No, I don't check it like that routinely. I will do the "drain onto the tarmac and look for bubbles" bit. I drain from there like mad if I get any sign of water at the other 4 sumps.

Ed Guthrie said:
As KD noted, dumping fuel on the ground is a violation of federal law in every state, and has been for nearly 35 years (Clean Water Act, signed 1972). Some states are more zealous in their enforcement than others (Flordia comes to mind).

I disagree. Having been through this argument before, I have the link to the Clean Water Act of 1972 (Amended through 2002). The closest thing I can find is the following:

Clean Water Act of 1972 said:
(m)(1) The Administrator shall, in an effort to prevent degradation
of the environment from the disposal of waste oil, conduct a
study of (A) the generation of used engine, machine, cooling, and
similar waste oil, including quantities generated, the nature and
quality of such oil, present collecting methods and disposal practices,
and alternate uses of such oil; (B) the long-term, chronic biological
effects of the disposal of such waste oil; and (C) the potential
market for such oils, including the economic and legal factors
relating to the sale of products made from such oils, the level of
subsidy, if any, needed to encourage the purchase by public and
private nonprofit agencies of products from such oil, and the practicability
of Federal procurement, on a priority basis, of products
made from such oil. In conducting such study, the Administrator
shall consult with affected industries and other persons

Says they'll study it. No mention of it being prohibited.

CWA Link:http://www.epa.gov/lawsregs/laws/cwa.htmlhttp://www.epa.gov/region5/water/pdf/ecwa.pdf

Last edited:
lancefisher said:

SHHHHH! You're gonna give us away man!

:D

interesting nick, but its talking about oil not fuel? right?

fgcason said:
8ft monkey arms? Maybe if you're sitting on the ground while trying to pull the handle.

A 10 year old can do it. Put the drain line in the fuel cup and hold it there with your left hand. Hug the side of the plane. Put your right hand in the oil door, pull handle. After a few times you'll know how long to pull the handle without soaking your hand.

Try that on the '78 Skyhawk I fly, with the oil filler door in the middle of the cowl. There's not a chance I can reach up, pull the strainer, and reach down and collect the fuel pouring out near the main gear. I don't have the 8 ft monkey arms you'd need. Why the heck Cessna put that darn door in the middle of the freaking cowl I'll never know... can't even get the little peek through the door you can on other models of the 'hawk.

i think cessna put the door there because it lined up with where lycoming put the oil dipstick.

tonycondon said:
interesting nick, but its talking about oil not fuel? right?

I'm actually in the terminal of an airport right now, so I won't elaborate until later (meaning, quote the document), but it specifies in the document that the term "oil" refers to fuel and a bunch of other things also.

I don't know too much about environmental law, but I believe that the Clean Water Act encourages states to make laws against dumping fuel on the ground. I believe that it is against the law in all or almost all states. It makes sense too, one ounce of gasoline can contaminate millions and millions of gallons of ground water. A whole bunch of people in rural areas depend on ground water for their drinking water, no sense in making them drink poisonous water.

And Joe, I can reach around on even the Skyhawks with the oil doors on the top, but it is near the edge of my reach. I also usually end up getting a little dirty.:rolleyes:

My Skyhawk has the cowl door in the middle of the cowl and I can't reach the release handle and hold the jar under the stream. My reach is 5'10" and I lack about 8". even then I would have to do it all by feel and get fuel on me in the process (I really don't want to smell like fuel while flying). Does anybody actually check the fuel from the strainer or just drain it. I think I am going to try to find a hose to slip over the drain and try that

you dont like going home with avgas cologne? :)
I guess i have just aquired a fondness for the smell

tonycondon said:
you dont like going home with avgas cologne? :)
I guess i have just aquired a fondness for the smell

I've never much cared for the smell of avgas.

I prefer MOGAS or Jet-A :)

JRitt said:
In this months issue (June) of Flight Trainer there is an article (pg. 65)on testing fuel on the AC. I have a C172N that has a fuel drain on each wing that I test before the first flight of the day and after refueling. It also has a fuel strainer that I pull the handle inside the oil filler door to drain approx 10oz (4-5sec) of fuel out of. The author recomends checking the fuel drained from the strainer. How can I collect a fuel sample from the strainer and pull the handle at the same time (you would need an 8ft reach to hold a gats jar to collect the sample)

On the C172N a second person is required to hold the fuel sample cup. Since this crew member is required they may log SIC for that time. :rolleyes:

I have seen guys with a 1 pt measuring cup that they place under the opening to catch the outflow.

The PA-32s have a drain under the wing and the release is under a seat. No way anyone can reach that. I used to use a wide shallow Rubbermaid leftover container from the grocery store. When done, we'd store it with the top on to prevent it getting dirty on the inside and throwing off the "contamination" judgment.

Buy an IAR...it has a gascolator with a Curtiss valve right off a Massey-Furgeson tucked inside the nose wheel well.

:)

Ken Ibold said:
The PA-32s have a drain under the wing
Did you mean under the fuselage?

You are right you cannot drain it while holding a container.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
Did you mean under the fuselage?
Yeah, that's what I meant, of course. Under the fuselage and with the wing blocking access from the side. Heck, I could SEE it in my mind.

Anyone know a good editor?

Ken Ibold said:
Anyone know a good editor?[/QUOTE

One comes to mind.....Ken.........ugh...Ken .....umm....Ken Somebody, cant remebmer the last name for the life of me!!!!!!!!

Back