Tan-Tar-A...uggggh

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Sooooo....we should have a forum "uncool places to fly."

Tan-Tar-A (a resort on Lake of the Ozarks, Osage Beach, MO) used to be one of my favorite destinations for Sunday Brunch. It was a wonderful spread. You could choose from breakfast, lunch, or dinner (or just do all three!) including great local fish (smallmouth and trout), smoked salmon, cut to order prime rib, etc.

It was a feast and it was kept impeccably clean.

So, I decided to fly up there last Sunday with a friend to enjoy the day. This was my first visit in quite a few years. The flight up and back was great. The weather was nice...for the summer anyway...sure it was fairly hazy but cool and smooth above 4,000'.

We Landed at K15 at 11am and called for a shuttle. They arrived with 10 minutes (as they always do) and we were in Black Bear Lodge (Tan-Tar-A's restaurant) by 11:30.

As we were walking in to be seated I perused the buffet from a distance. Hmmmm...this isn't the same...not nearly as expansive. It's now a breakfast buffet instead of a Sunday brunch (champagne brunch when I wasn't flying). Okay...I guess that'll still work.

Except that when we got up to the buffet it was freekin' nasty! Food strewn everywhere, gravy spilled into other items, etc. I commented to the girl behind the counter "this buffet really needs some attention."

She just shrugged...

The lady who walked up behind me heard me, looked at it and said "no, really, someone needs to clean up this nasty mess!"

She begrudgingly drug her fat ass out from behind the counter and started smearing the spilled food into a plate with a dry rag leaving streaks of food and stickiness behind.

So I went over to the made-to-order omelet bar, had one made, ate it and nothing else (didn't want to even touch anything else) and then we flew home.

Oh...it's now only $15 instead of (IIRC) $25...but worth far less.

Such a shame. It was formerly a Marriott property and it was kept really nicely. It sold a few years back and, apparently, the new owners don't give a sh!!t.

Remember all the great things I've said about Tan-Tar-A here in the past?

Never mind!

Last edited:
Sunday breakfast at T67 is soooo worth the trip.

It really sucks when a good place that you really like goes downhill. It is very common with a change of ownership either from a sale or family taking over after a death. Seldom does it happen when the people who made it a good place are still running it.

Sunday breakfast at T67 is soooo worth the trip.

Cool! So is Gaston's! And Gaston's is about the same distance for me as Tan-Tar-A is. I just thought I'd try Tan-Tar-A for a nice change of pace especially since we'll all be at Gaston's in a few months.

Wrong!

I stayed there once a couple of years ago and the management was absolutely horrible.

Sorta disagree with Gastons Sunday Buffet.... I don't think the value for money is there. Would prefer something we did ourselves such as a build your own breakfast taco competition or the best topped waffle.

But the pineapple upside down pancakes at T67 is scrumptious enough to make the beta cells in your pancreas giggle in utter delight. And the rest of the prepared and made to order bar is awesome.

There's definitely no "value for the money" at Gaston's. Never has been.

I think I'll try Rough River in the near future. The way the attendant described it to me over the phone though...it sounded like a glorified Lambert's <shudders>

I was just back home in this neck of the woods a couple weeks ago. Went to check out 3VS since its only a few miles from my fathers house. Next time I'll come by air but will skip Tan Tar A

Tan-Tar-A was a destination place for a long time. I really haven't heard much about it for quite a while. Thanks for the heads-up - we keep looking for a weekend getaway place, and now I have something to consider.

Back