Taking SSRI for non-anxiety diagnosis

P

P1lot

I am an instrument rated pilot about to begin commercial training. I have first class medical from 2020 that currently has third class privileges. Six months ago I was prescribed an SSRI to treat the symptoms of a completely non-mental health related issue. I was not diagnosed with anything that requires a special issuance. It never occurred to me to check if the medication was allowed or not. I think I will be able to stop taking the medication after I speak with my doctor. What is the right process going forward in order to renew my first class medical? Is it safe to consult with an AME to walk me through it or should I talk to an aviation lawyer first? I'm currently not flying until I can get it figured out I'm just very worried I've made a big mistake that will not be easy to fix.

These are less work, that the usual SSRI case. For employees, Celexa for irritable bowel:

GI declares “no psychiatry diagnosis.
Cogscreen is normal….
Time to apply……

(I always am in wonderment that folks think the route to a medical is through a lawyer……)

Last edited:
I am an instrument rated pilot about to begin commercial training. I have first class medical from 2020 that currently has third class privileges. Six months ago I was prescribed an SSRI to treat the symptoms of a completely non-mental health related issue. I was not diagnosed with anything that requires a special issuance. It never occurred to me to check if the medication was allowed or not. I think I will be able to stop taking the medication after I speak with my doctor. What is the right process going forward in order to renew my first class medical? Is it safe to consult with an AME to walk me through it or should I talk to an aviation lawyer first? I'm currently not flying until I can get it figured out I'm just very worried I've made a big mistake that will not be easy to fix.
If you're no longer on the medication when you fill out MedXpress, you disclose the diagnosis. There's no "have you ever" question for medication.

(I always am in wonderment that folks think the route to a medical is through a lawyer……)

Yeah we frequently tell people that they should use doctors to talk to doctors and lawyers to talk to law enforcement and other lawyers.

And the FAA is......?

The FAA is a regulatory agency. But in this particular line of discussion the FAA Aerospace Medical Certification Division (AMCD) is who dispositions medical certification of pilots. It is run exclusively by doctors. Doctors review all medical exam submissions, doctors determine if more information is needed, doctors send the letters requesting more information, doctors tell you if your special issuance is granted or rescinded and doctors issue or deny certification. If you are trying to get to "yes" with regard to medical certification then you should be working with a doctor to do so.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back