Student Pilot

tiffismom

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tiffismom
Hi all
This is a note to all of you that I work with International Exchange students and I have a Christian Korean young man that will arrive in January to begin his American experience. His dream is to be a pilot and I want to find him a host family that will be able to give him this awesome experience. If you would find it on your heart to get more information about this please email me about this program and how you can help make a difference as a pilot to this young man.
Email me at hostastudent@rtcol.com

Sigh. If he was Buddist....

We tend to get requests to assist young people in the cost of learning to fly frequently. While we are good-hearted people, learning to fly is pretty expensive. Liability is an issue, too. It would really be a good idea to introduce yourself a little more fully and let us know more about your organization. Do you have a website? What led you to us? What obligations are you asking for? What are you offering?

You will probably find it difficult to find someone who's willing to 1.) Host him, 2.) Pay for his flight training ($6k-$10k is typical), and 3.) Assume the liability for such a thing.

It'd be a more realistic goal to find a host family that's willing to front the cost an "introductory" flight, which may cost $75-125.

Hi all
I have a Christian Korean young man that will arrive in January to begin his American experience.

I'm not sure what that has to do with it.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are plenty of pilots who might be willing to host this exchange student, although (apparently) limiting it to devout Christians does reduce the possibilities. However, if you find a nonflying family to host him, there are several ways to get him some aviation experience. If he's 17 or younger, the EAA Young Eagles program would be a good idea. Go to eaa.org for more information on that, including how to connect with the local EAA Chapter in your area (wherever that is). In addition, you might find local pilots willing to help, but that would depend on where he's hosted.

BTW, it's not clear what organization is running this exchange program. There are a lot of folks out there running well-organized student exchanges, and there are also some operations that aren't exactly kosher. Knowing who's behind this program might make folks more willing to volunteer.

Last edited:
Jeez, when I was an exchange student in the 80s, the host families were prohibited from providing driving lessons, to the point of repatriating one teenager sent to Argentina who drove one trip for a medical emergency. It's hard to imagine insurance rules have gotten lighter in the last 25 years.

I couldn't care less what religion an exchange student is, as long as his needs are met. One does not go on such adventures in order to see the familiar. The whole point is to find perspectives different from yours. This includes religion.

Last edited:
Back