Stewart Systems

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
I ordered my fabric and supplies from Stewart Systems and got the DVD on how to use their stuff. Very powerful instruction. It made installing fabric very easy for beginners. I hope mine goes as well. If your thinking of covering a plane it is well worth a look.

Dan

I ordered my fabric and supplies from Stewart Systems and got the DVD on how to use their stuff. Very powerful instruction. It made installing fabric very easy for beginners. I hope mine goes as well. If your thinking of covering a plane it is well worth a look.

Dan

We've been using it with no problems so far on the Highlander. Waiting to see how it holds up when it's regularly blasted with atomized salt spray...
What are you building?

We've been using it with no problems so far on the Highlander. Waiting to see how it holds up when it's regularly blasted with atomized salt spray...
What are you building?

I am re-doing a Cougar. I am going to modify the wings to go STOL. I just want to get it in the air first, and see what it does now so I have a benchmark. Then I will build a new wing for STOL. I have a 900' to 1300' strip to get out of.

Dan

Attachments

• COUGAR PAINT (Medium).JPG
    COUGAR PAINT (Medium).JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Nesmith Cougar.jpg
    Nesmith Cougar.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 15
I am re-doing a Cougar. I am going to modify the wings to go STOL. I just want to get it in the air first, and see what it does now so I have a benchmark. Then I will build a new wing for STOL. I have a 900' to 1300' strip to get out of.

Dan

Cool looking plane, are they rare, not even google shows anything on it that I could find!

Dan

A couple things I have learned when using the Stewart system.

If you think it might be silicon plastic don't used it. I used a large shringe to measure a small batch of top coat, the plunger was silicon rubber, it fish eyed like crazy.

spray the top coat in very light mist coats, and allow 10-15 minutes between coats. it will not shine when first finished but will flow as it cures and gets shiney wet look as it hardens.

Don't use tap water to thin, it is ok to use when you are cleaning up, but distilled water is better as a thiner.

The primer for metal, is very easy to use as it comes from the can. but my gun lked it a wee bit thiner so I added a tiny bit of water, and it worked great.

Cool looking plane, are they rare, not even google shows anything on it that I could find!

Same thing basically as a Tailwind. Plans are only $125.00 people still build them and even more Tailwinds. Google "Nesmith Cougar" you'll get hundreds of hits.

Dan

A couple things I have learned when using the Stewart system.

If you think it might be silicon plastic don't used it. I used a large shringe to measure a small batch of top coat, the plunger was silicon rubber, it fish eyed like crazy.

spray the top coat in very light mist coats, and allow 10-15 minutes between coats. it will not shine when first finished but will flow as it cures and gets shiney wet look as it hardens.

Don't use tap water to thin, it is ok to use when you are cleaning up, but distilled water is better as a thiner.

The primer for metal, is very easy to use as it comes from the can. but my gun lked it a wee bit thiner so I added a tiny bit of water, and it worked great.

Thanks, I have used the primer, not the filler primer though. It was not supposed to lift any paint that it went over but it did. I sprayed it very light as you mentioned. The reason I am doing this Cougar first is to see how everything works before attempting the Viking.

Dan

Back