SR22 G2 performance question

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
Looks like my rental place is getting a leaseback 05 SR22 G2. Crazy owner :), but hey.

So I am curious about real world speeds and range on it.

Say at max gross, full fuel, KTAS/NM:
1. Top cruise speed and range/burn? As in how far you can go pedal to the metal
2. Max range and speed? As in how slow do you go to get as far as possible

Sounds like some questions for @SixPapaCharlie. His (dad's) is a 2001 SR22, but should have enough of similar performance to the G2 to answer what you're asking.

Not a G2 but in the G1, I plan 165kts but can usually do 5 to 10 better.
I burn about 14 gph.

1150 lbs useful load

Full fuel is 80 gallons.

I don't really slow down to gain range.
5 hours is a long time to fly w/o a break.

I had a 2006 SR22 NA before the 2012 TN I have now.

They will typically do 177-185 KTAS ROP in the 6000-12,000 foot range but hardly anyone flies them ROP for long cruise flight.

Much more typical performance is LOP at around 12.5-15GPH (depending on altitude, higher = less GPH) with cruise performance in the high 160s to low 170s TAS. Mine was a relatively fast one an would consistently hit 170-173KTAS int the lower teens and then drop off ~0.5-1 KT per 1000 ft of altitude while dropping some fuel flow.

You have 81 Gal useable fuel so range, no wind with 45 min reserve is going to be around ~750-800NM depending on altitude and assuming LOP cruise flight.

TL;DR - I'd flight plan 170 KTAS, 14GPH and 750NM for your typical no wind flight with full tanks.

Not a G2 but in the G1, I plan 165kts but can usually do 5 to 10 better.
I burn about 14 gph.

1150 lbs useful load

Full fuel is 80 gallons.

I don't really slow down to gain range.
5 hours is a long time to fly w/o a break.

Are these the pedal-to-the-metal numbers or normal cruise? We rent wet here, so unless i have a range issue, i typically(if conditions permit) fly XC at top speed/power.
The spec sheet on G2 that I've seen specifies 170 as normal(65% power) cruise..

Curious if these numbers are accurate:
Interestingly, max range is specified as 1100nm, but "long range" range below is only 845. I wonder if that takes reserves into account

http://classg.com/aircraft-performance-specs/Cirrus-SR22_G2-specs/545
Cruise Performance at 8,000 ft
Recomended
Speed / Power 171 kts / 65 %
Fuel Flow 15.40 gal / 92 lbs
Range 765 NM
Altitude 8,000 ft
Payload / Fuel
646 lbs / 0.00 lb/gal
High Speed
Speed / Power 180 kts / 75 %
Fuel Flow 17.80 gal / 107 lbs
Range 700 NM
Altitude 8,000 ft
Payload / Fuel
646 lbs / 0.00 lb/gal
Long Range
Speed / Power 160 kts / 55 %
Fuel Flow 13.10 gal / 79 lbs
Range 845 NM
Altitude 8,000 ft
Payload / Fuel
646 lbs / 0.00 lb/gal

That's all out. I really never throttle back below 2600 RPM until Its time to prep for landing.
BUT I am not much of an XC guy. Most of my flights are an hour or so in length.

Just know where that red thing is, and tell 'em to get an AOA in it!

FIRST!

Genna, search online for a POH. PDFs are out there. G1 and G2 share the same POH and performance figures. (G3 and later are different.)

I fly LOP, 65% power, and I get about 166 kts TAS, with fuel burn varying from 11.5 GPH at oxygen altitudes to almost 14 GPH at 3000 MSL. My main mission is 5 hours; sometimes I refuel and sometimes I fly straight through, landing with one hour in the tank. At peak power, your numbers will all bigger, except the 5 hours, as you can find in the POH. The owner's overhaul cost will similarly be bigger.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the owner, who is renting wet to you. His engine will suffer if you cruise at max power.

Where's Henning when you need him?

Hey, I feel sorry for the owner too... Personally, I have no idea why he (he just bought it and is also not qualified on it) wants to leaseback the plane. Given a 10h type insurance and 250 total time requirement to rent this plane, i suspect that the usage will be rather low and not pay for added MX and insurance costs. Not to mention that no matter how good the renters are, they do not own it. I'm usually nice to their planes, but it costs me more $$ to fly it slower and i suspect others probably would feel the same.

2005 SR22 non-turbo here. I fly LOP. Most often launching with full fuel. Depending on altitude I burn 12.9 - 13.4 at cruise, 168 - 171 TAS.

Range depends on wind of course, but last Thanksgiving I flew non stop from KPTK to KVNC. 22 gal remaining when I landed. I generally flight plan total fuel 5:40 with full fuel.

2005 SR22 non-turbo here. I fly LOP. Most often launching with full fuel. Depending on altitude I burn 12.9 - 13.4 at cruise, 168 - 171 TAS.

Range depends on wind of course, but last Thanksgiving I flew non stop from KPTK to KVNC. 22 gal remaining when I landed. I generally flight plan total fuel 5:40 with full fuel.

935nm on 59 gal? That's pretty impressive. Must have been windy :). How long did it take?

4:15 on the hobbs. 60 kt tail wind at 12,000. Crazy wind, but completely smooth above 3000 agl. Of course I paid for it on the return...

Last edited:
Hey, I feel sorry for the owner too... Personally, I have no idea why he (he just bought it and is also not qualified on it) wants to leaseback the plane. Given a 10h type insurance and 250 total time requirement to rent this plane, i suspect that the usage will be rather low and not pay for added MX and insurance costs. Not to mention that no matter how good the renters are, they do not own it. I'm usually nice to their planes, but it costs me more $$ to fly it slower and i suspect others probably would feel the same.

If it's naturally aspirated what's the issue?
I own the airplane I fly, also naturally aspirated. 80+% of my flights are between 9000 and 13,000 ASL. Throttles are always wide open. I lean the engines right out (typically ~11.5 gph per side from my IO-540s).Engines can't make full power at those cruise altitudes, so pretty difficult to hurt them unless one gets really abusive.

I can't image anyone is going to habitually cruise a Cirrus at 3000 ft, so I don't understand the concern. If it's run ROP maybe fouls the plugs faster, but it shouldn't harm anything.

I woould be more concerned about renters doing hard landings, overheating the brakes on taxi, not waiting for the oil temps to come up before run-up, that sort of thing, more than what they do in cruise.

I can tell you there are 7 SR22 on the line at my home base. Two are turbos. (Four SR20 as well.) Most have been on the line for a few years. So, clearly something is working. They rent from $259 to $360 per Hobbs hour, wet.

If it's naturally aspirated what's the issue?
I own the airplane I fly, also naturally aspirated. 80+% of my flights are between 9000 and 13,000 ASL. Throttles are always wide open. I lean the engines right out (typically ~11.5 gph per side from my IO-540s).Engines can't make full power at those cruise altitudes, so pretty difficult to hurt them unless one gets really abusive.

I can't image anyone is going to habitually cruise a Cirrus at 3000 ft, so I don't understand the concern. If it's run ROP maybe fouls the plugs faster, but it shouldn't harm anything.

I woould be more concerned about renters doing hard landings, overheating the brakes on taxi, not waiting for the oil temps to come up before run-up, that sort of thing, more than what they do in cruise.

I really don't know much about that engine to be qualified to say if it would be hurt running WOT for hours. My "feel sorry" comment was more to do with general rental concerns. Your last sentence

I can tell you there are 7 SR22 on the line at my home base. Two are turbos. (Four SR20 as well.) Most have been on the line for a few years. So, clearly something is working. They rent from $259 to $360 per Hobbs hour, wet.

Great. Hopefully it works out here. I really am looking forward to renting it. My wife is not a big fan(she hates the bumpiness) of long distance flying in GA planes. This should speed our trips up and with a heavier and faster plane i hope the ride will be a little smoother as well.

Back