SPL vs PPL

FlyingFarmer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingFarmer
I am about 6-7 hours of flight training into getting my PPL at a part 61 flight school. Every minute I am not at school I spend working in our farm. My grandfather bought a Zenith 701 but never got his license to fly, so it was always my uncle and I flying it. As I’ve grown and realized what I want my future to look like, I realize I only really plan on using my license to fly our zenith locally. I would have no issue getting a medical, this is simply asking for another perspective, would it be unnecessary to spend the extra time and money for the PPL to never utilize the extra things I would get over a sport license?

One thing to consider - if you are absolutely certain that you can pass the Third Class medical, go ahead and get that done. It will help to transition to Basic Med for your Private Pilot certification if you decide to follow that path later in life.
Just be certain that you can pass without issue. Not making the cut for medical will hinder your ability to fly under Sport Pilot Certification.

Just how much time does someone typically save going the S.P route? I know there is a significant difference in the minimum required, but how often does someone bang it out in 20 hours? I don't really think you get to skip that much stuff compared to the P.P.

Just how much time does someone typically save going the S.P route? I know there is a significant difference in the minimum required, but how often does someone bang it out in 20 hours? I don't really think you get to skip that much stuff compared to the P.P.

It's a fair point. Typically the most time-consuming task to learn is landings. Learning to land a light sport can take longer than a larger plane, so that might wash out some of the hours saved by not learning things like night flying. (I trained in a Tecnam LSA and the first time I landed a Cherokee it was like the plane had auto-land; much much easier than the Tecnam.) Instrument training is required for both PP and SP, but SP doesn't have a minimum amount of time. The SP XCs are shorter, both dual and solo, and there's no requirement for landings at a towered airport (though it can be added later).

I dunno; maybe SP training would save 10 hours over PP, but that will vary a lot depending on the student and could be more. Depending on the area and the school, that might be $1500 to $2000, plus saving a little by not needing to get a medical. Avoiding a two grand expenditure for something the student doesn't feel he needs probably makes sense, especially since it can be tacked on later if desired.

I grew up flying around the farm, and I’d like to think I’m a little ahead of most students. My CFI said the only thing holding me back from soloing by September is my age, so I have to wait a couple more months. The biggest push for me to consider switching is time. With the lower hour requirement I should shoot for maybe 25-30 hours to get my license, so it’s a lot less time away from work.

How often does someone bang out a Private certificate in 40 hours?

Instrument training is required for both PP and SP, but SP doesn't have a minimum amount of time.
Where did you find this? I assumed it would be but everything I’ve read doesn’t mention instrument flying

Where did you find this? I assumed it would be but everything I’ve read doesn’t mention instrument flying

Comes from the XC requirements. CFR 61.93(e)12

It doesn’t apply if you’re flying something slower than 87 knots (like a weight shift trike), but that’s a bit uncommon.

Comes from the XC requirements. CFR 61.93(e)12

It doesn’t apply if you’re flying something slower than 87 knots (like a weight shift trike), but that’s a bit uncommon.
My recollection is that Champs and Chiefs and Cubs (Oh my!) would fall into that category…and those aren’t “uncommon” in my mind. ;)

My recollection is that Champs and Chiefs and Cubs (Oh my!) would fall into that category…and those aren’t “uncommon” in my mind. ;)

There are quite a few being flown, certainly. Are they being used for SP training? I’m sure some are, but most of the SP training I’m aware of uses things like Tecnam LSAs and Skycatchers.

There are quite a few being flown, certainly. Are they being used for SP training? I’m sure some are, but most of the SP training I’m aware of uses things like Tecnam LSAs and Skycatchers.
My local FBO does SP training in a J-3.

Is the new MOSAIC proposal from last July seeming to be the final ruling on LSAs or is this just another suggestion to dream about (3000lb weight limit, retract and constant speed prop, higher max and stall speed, etc)

Is the new MOSAIC proposal from last July seeming to be the final ruling on LSAs or is this just another suggestion to dream about (3000lb weight limit, retract and constant speed prop, higher max and stall speed, etc)

That remains to be seen. The FAA moves at the speed of a herd of turtles chasing a flock of snails across a field of peanut butter.

I am about 6-7 hours of flight training into getting my PPL at a part 61 flight school. Every minute I am not at school I spend working in our farm. My grandfather bought a Zenith 701 but never got his license to fly, so it was always my uncle and I flying it. As I’ve grown and realized what I want my future to look like, I realize I only really plan on using my license to fly our zenith locally. I would have no issue getting a medical, this is simply asking for another perspective, would it be unnecessary to spend the extra time and money for the PPL to never utilize the extra things I would get over a sport license?
It is not necessary to get a pilots license. These are all personal choices we make. I would never be happy with a SP, that doesn’t mean you won’t.

The bottom line if you opt for the private later, you will duplicate the time and $$$ for flight test preparation with the CFI for the practical test, duplicate the study time and $$$ for another written knowledge test, and duplicate the study time and $$$$ required for another practical test.

So the question. is it worth $4000 more now?

You're young and have a lot of life ahead of you. There are a lot of things that you could encounter later that will make you want to get your PPL. If you are working around the farm, I'm sure an extra $4K is difficult to come by, but with inflation that $4K can easily grow into $8K. Look up the Law of 72. Of course, you have to balance your probable increase in earnings as your age, education, and experience increase.

At a bare minimum, instead of doing your cross countries to SPL standards, do them to PPL. Then you won't have to duplicate them if you decide to get your PPL.

You're young and have a lot of life ahead of you. There are a lot of things that you could encounter later that will make you want to get your PPL. If you are working around the farm, I'm sure an extra $4K is difficult to come by, but with inflation that $4K can easily grow into $8K. Look up the Law of 72. Of course, you have to balance your probable increase in earnings as your age, education, and experience increase.

At a bare minimum, instead of doing your cross countries to SPL standards, do them to PPL. Then you won't have to duplicate them if you decide to get your PPL.
I’m 65, earned my Sport last year, and am awaiting the FAA to approve my class 3 so I can test for PPL: primarily to land after sunset and to pursue my IFR. I am buying a small Tecnam to test and train in. Interestingly, it was the medical which gave me the incentive to get my weight down and my health is the best it’s ever been. That proved the motivation. The only problem with the Sport certificate is there are only 2 Light Sport a/c to rent locally and one interpretation (the DPE has shared with the CFIs) of the Regs is that a Student Pilot can solo in a single engine a/c >1320 pounds, but NOT a Sport Pilot! And I can NEVER be a Student Pilot again! I’ve done training in a 152, 172, and Cherokee, but only with an instructor. My solo time (100+ hours) is all in an RV12 or Bristell (little Italian hot rod of a light sport!).

I’m 65, earned my Sport last year, and am awaiting the FAA to approve my class 3 so I can test for PPL: primarily to land after sunset and to pursue my IFR. I am buying a small Tecnam to test and train in. Interestingly, it was the medical which gave me the incentive to get my weight down and my health is the best it’s ever been. That proved the motivation. The only problem with the Sport certificate is there are only 2 Light Sport a/c to rent locally and one interpretation (the DPE has shared with the CFIs) of the Regs is that a Student Pilot can solo in a single engine a/c >1320 pounds, but NOT a Sport Pilot! And I can NEVER be a Student Pilot again! I’ve done training in a 152, 172, and Cherokee, but only with an instructor. My solo time (100+ hours) is all in an RV12 or Bristell (little Italian hot rod of a light sport!).
Which airport are you training at? Not FDK by chance, is it?

(Also, the Bristell is Czech)

I started with light sport to save money. A year later I upgraded to ppl.. very logical

Back