Special Issuance expiration

G

Have a question. I was granted a special issuance 10 years ago for non-insulin based diabetes. I basically have to submit sub 9.0 a1c numbers and they reissue which i did for a few years. The SI says it expires after 6 years (or gave a date 6 years later).. I let it lapse a few years ago (family things happen), but wanted to get back in to flying. I am currently on basicMed since I have previously had a class 3. However considering going back to getting my 3rd class medical. So how does the SI expiring a few years ago work ? Does it mean I have to go through and get another SI (that is probably good for 6 years or whatever it is now) and an AME cannot just issue a 3rd class medical even if my numbers are still in line ?

That, only works if the doctor is willing to change his diagnosis "of record" to pre-diabetes. If he would, then Dr. Lou is right and that would be the BEST of all possible worlds. Get your doc to write such a letter.

In practice, this is tough for the doc to do (Insurance-wise).

The Agency SHOULD have issued a new letter with new six year auth and field approval authority for your AME. You can call 405-954-4821 and nag them for it.

thanks for the responses... ha - calling that number is like hitting lotto. . .

so they will re-issue a letter even if its been 6 years since it has expired and 8 years since I last re-issued ?

thanks for the responses... ha - calling that number is like hitting lotto. . .

so they will re-issue a letter even if its been 6 years since it has expired and 8 years since I last re-issued ?
That's a bit extreme.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back