Southern California places to fly to

turbofan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
turbofan
What are some good places to fly to from the SD / LA area? Good views, good burgers, places to do cool stuff, places to take hero / selfie pics, wherever.

Places I've thought of so far...

Catalina Island - KAVX
Climb Mount Whitney - Lone Pine, O26
Mammoth - KMMH
Tahoe - KTVL
Utah skiing - KSLC for or U42 for the western side, 36U for Park City
Vegas - KLAS or KVGT

Chino (KCNO) for breakfast at Flo's and then Plane's of Fame and/or Yanks Air Museum - probably see some WWII birds flying

Flabob (KRIR) for the history - great cafe on-site as well (make sure it is open, was being renovated recently)

Van Nuys (KVNY) for cool museum

Rosamond (L00) - fun little airport with a great Mexican restaurant

Oceano, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Harris Ranch. If you want to go farther north, Monterey, Shelter Cove, Little River, Half Moon Bay.

Leverne-Bracket used to have a nice resturant.
Also W. J. Fox field in Lancaster.
Tehachipe Glider field had a resturant.
Apple Valley
Bishop, grab the bus ride to town, very famous bakery there for lunch.

What are some good places to fly to from the SD / LA area? Good views, good burgers, places to do cool stuff, places to take hero / selfie pics, wherever.

Catalina Island - KAVX
Mammoth - KMMH
Tahoe - KTVL
Vegas - KLAS or KVGT

Vegas ,, last guy out of Kallyforney turn out the lights.

KCMA...Great food on the ramp and an amazing aircraft museum to boot!

Also W. J. Fox field in Lancaster.

Foxy's is quite good -- and they even have s $100 burger on the menu -- but the scenery out there is forgettable, it's hot as hell, and the wind sucks.

Tehachapi is substantially better, but you have to walk to town.

Death Valley - Can't believe no one has said Furnace Creek yet. Great brunch, hotel picks you up. Walk to the visitor center from the field, just don't tell the park rangers there you flew in, they are jerks about it.

Anza Borrego - Also Borego Valley for great scenery, really cool place to land, and decent Italian on field.

Paso Robles - They just re-opened the resturaunt at Paso and it's a mark above basic airport diner. Somehow you can coordinate a ride into some wineries up there, but I haven't done that yet. Also a museum on the field I haven't had the chance to visit.

French Valley - Hard to beat for breakfast or lunch. Nice view of the field, good for bird watching.

Montgomery - Didn't see it yet, great destination for LA birds wanting to fly the coast south. Mexican is good on field.

Santa Monica - For SD birds heading North along the coast, Typhoons is great.

Upland - When the weather is nice, I think Cable is great. Nice view of the mountainsand runway, good breakfast. Second only to Rosemond for steps from Transient to Restaurant.

Catalina Island - KAVX
Mammoth - KMMH
Tahoe - KTVL
Vegas - KLAS or KVGT

Camarillo KCMA has the best food!!! It's definitely worth flying into and grabbing a bite. They close at 3pm everyday I believe.

Back