South Padre Island

cowtowner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cowtowner
A week at OSH, then a few days at my mom and dad's in Illinois, seems my wife wanted a vacation. So we had planned on going to Destin, but the hurricane was going to cause us issues.

We normally go to Port Aransas, have a golf cart waiting for us at KRAS, and she gets her beach time. She wanted something different, so I suggested South Padre. I have never been, too dang far to drive...nearly the same distance as Destin.

I planned the flight down to KBRO, arranged a Jeep rental and off we went. 40 minute drive from the airport, versus 2 minutes at KRAS, Saturday noon traffic going over the causeway, expensive gas at the FBO....all things working against it.

It was a great weekend, plus a couple days, but I don't know if SPI is my kind of place. It was one of the last weekends before school starts, so the weekend was busy, hence not getting a decent hotel. But, the water was clear, the beaches were nice and after a couple of days I settled in.

Would I go back? I don't know. Port A is more my kind of place, but the water sure is nice at SPI (South Padre Island) I guess if we couldn't go to Destin, we could go back south.

Having trouble uploading images, maybe I can get them to work later

Thanks for the Pirep. I like mustang island also. Easy day trip with a walk to beach.

Wife and I drove to Padre a decade and a half ago. Had a great time then. It’s like Mexico light.

Thanks for the Pirep. I like mustang island also. Easy day trip with a walk to beach.

Wife and I drove to Padre a decade and a half ago. Had a great time then. It’s like Mexico light.
I fly down to Port A for lunch some days. Just to unwind on the beach for a bit and ride my e-bike

In the fall and spring during the week the beach is empty.

Did you go to Space X at bocachica? Its crazy how close you can get to those rockets!

I fly down to Port A for lunch some days. Just to unwind on the beach for a bit and ride my e-bike

In the fall and spring during the week the beach is empty.

On the weekends we tend to hit RKP over RAS simply because of the jumpers, but I understand the proximity.

When we stay SPI we’ve found a great VRBO we’ve been staying at for five or six years now but getting there from either airport ain’t exactly the easiest as you know.

Having lived in the Destin/FWB to Mexico Beach area for 5+ years in my .mil career, SPI is the best beach/water between Harlingen and Pensacola, so it’s a good backup if you can’t get to the FL panhandle in my book.

Wife and I spent our honeymoon in SPI, 1984, yes 40th 3 months ago. I flew down there a lot in the mid 80's. The company I flew for then owned the SPI Hilton now known as Isla Grand Beach Resort. The owner of the company gave us his condo on the top center of Saida 5 to stay in.

We went down there a few times in the 90's with friends and always had a good time. Back then we would airline into HRL and go across the border to buy refreshments for the stay. I fondly remember going to the old Port Isabel lighthouse restaurant and Louie's Backyard.

Back